How do you keep bottom of mower deck clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sharpen blades and change oil once per year. Clean the mower deck top and bottom. Spray all spindles and rotating parts with WD40. I try to only cut when dry. No rust down there so far.

Here's the answer. On flat concrete with the deck about 1/2" off the ground and the mower on, direct water from a hose at various spots around the deck. The hose doesn't need to be close, just squirt the water in from a distance. Get ready for gallons of green water! The underneath will be spotless.

I try to mow only when the grass is dry. On a few occasions I've had to mow when it's wet and I've learned to scrape off the wet grass residue - otherwise it molds. I use a plastic scraper.

And by the way never work on the underside of a mower or touch the blade unless the plug wire is off. Many years ago a friend had a mower start while he had his hands in there. Not nice. That was before the days of the modern deadman's bar, but still.

Motul has a product called Protec Tandeuse or some such for this specific need. I used it when the mower was new and it has worked pretty well. I had very little trouble getting it clean at the end of the season using a hose. Wasn't caked as per usual. I'll be trying it again this season.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Motul has a product called Protec Tandeuse or some such for this specific need. I used it when the mower was new and it has worked pretty well. I had very little trouble getting it clean at the end of the season using a hose. Wasn't caked as per usual. I'll be trying it again this season.

Didn't mean to sound flippant about the French product name. I'm just not going out to the shed in the dark to check spelling. I bought it on Amazon after seeing it on Motul's site.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Wax it when it's new, then hose it off after you use it. Keeping it stored in a shed or garage will help keep it from rotting away.,,

That's exactly what I do
thumbsup2.gif

Used motor oil slathered on the under side of deck. Do it in the fall before you store it for winter. Part of my winterize plan. Obviously remove any grass buildup before. Keeps the deck from rusting out. Great way to recycle that used oil. Other one is Diesel and used motor oil 50/50 sprayed on your stockade fence. Wood will last over 20-30 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back