TCW 3 in 4 stroke gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been looking around for significant studies on two stroke oil in 4 stroke engines. I decided to run a 300:1 mix of oil and gas in my 02 silverado with a pea based cleaner. Does anyone have any experience with long term use of this stuff? Everything ive read says im good to go.

To clarify, i just ran this redline sl 1 and tcw3 mix once as a maintenance dose. i plan on 6 ounces per fill up of the 26 gallon tank.

Originally Posted By: Birdman476
To clarify, i just ran this redline sl 1 and tcw3 mix once as a maintenance dose. i plan on 6 ounces per fill up of the 26 gallon tank.

There are 128 ounces per gallon, so your 26 gallon tank would have 26 X 128 Oz = 3328 Oz per tank full. Now if you use 6 Oz per tank full that would be a ratio of 3328/6 = 554.66 to 1

Originally Posted By: Birdman476
Ive been looking around for significant studies on two stroke oil in 4 stroke engines. I decided to run a 300:1 mix of oil and gas in my 02 silverado with a pea based cleaner. Does anyone have any experience with long term use of this stuff? Everything ive read says im good to go.

And did you find any studies that showed that 2-cycle oil has any advantage whatsoever in gasoline engines?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

And did you find any studies that showed that 2-cycle oil has any advantage whatsoever in gasoline engines?

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-in-diesel-technical-study.php

And dont forget that colour of 2t oil comes from fine colored dust...not so good for injectors
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-in-diesel-technical-study.php

And dont forget that colour of 2t oil comes from fine colored dust...not so good for injectors
smile.gif

A 200:1 mix in a gas engine would be one strong dose. The article covers diesel engines. People typically run it a 500:1 in a gasser.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
What are benifits of 200:1 or 500:1 ratios?
smile.gif

Search the web, you'll see all the pros and cons, then decide for yourself.
wink.gif

I noticed in some older vehicles that used a bit of oil or had a rough idle it helped reduce consumption a bit and smooth out the idle. I think it makes for a better ring seal which helped reduce the consumption, other people shared similar experiences. But that depends on what is causing the oil use. In new vehicles I noticed nothing at all.

I would be very interested in seeing some SAE or SWRI industry test results of pump fuel and TCW-3 + pump fuel. Intake deposits, injector wear/cleanliness, combustion chamber deposits, piston wear/deposits and catalyst condition.

Ok, so you are an oil fanatic!! Why else would you be on an oil forum!! Its ok, I am too

My limited experience using oil mixed in with gas;
Tcw3 improves cold starts (no choke required)
Increases fuel efficiency
Engine runs hotter
No smell or smoke

I used to use MMO cuz dad said so (he was an engineer, born in 1928)
Ended up Wrecking the cat converter on my 01 volvo, so gave it up on my cat equipped engines
The little 2 stokes (weed wackier, chain saw) seem to start easier and run at higher rpm on MMO. One day after tearing into a 1984 johnson outboard, I realized that tcw3 is some powerful voodoo! Everything was pristine!! Started using it in my Yamaha tw200 and found that the fuel efficancy went way way up as compared to MMO (70 mpg with out additives, 77 mpg with 60 to 1 MMO, and for the last year it's been at or above 96mpg with about 80 to 1 tcw3)

There have been studies about tcw3 in cat converters http://papers.sae.org/972741/

There is a lot of science behind txw3 https://www.nmma.org/certification/oil/tc-w3

My conclusions:
MMO good
Tcw3 even better
Adding tcw3 makes your fuel mixture leaner! (Ya, hard to believe)
Go to marine mechanic forum (or you tube) marine mechanics use tcw3 for all oiling needs not just mixed with gas
100 to 1 is all the lube a 2 stroke needs (according to amsoil, which I have never tried and am sceptical that it's "all that")
https://youtu.be/6HQwmbj31jc

I just started to use TCW 3 in my Ridgeline ( 300:1 ratio ). The first 3 tanks i saw a drop from avg 19mpg to 16mpg. I took a 900 mile trip to NC from MA is got avg of 20. Not sure if i will continue after i get back to MA. Anyone else see a drop in mpg?

Originally Posted By: mez
I just started to use TCW 3 in my Ridgeline ( 300:1 ratio ). The first 3 tanks i saw a drop from avg 19mpg to 16mpg. I took a 900 mile trip to NC from MA is got avg of 20. Not sure if i will continue after i get back to MA. Anyone else see a drop in mpg?

Try cutting the dose to 500:1 as Surestick mentioned.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

No one seems to have an issue with deposits at 500:1 but i used up a 50:1 mix in my 4-stroke lawn mower last summer and the plug looked like it was pulled out of a particularly nasty tar pit (I pulled the plug when starting got hard). The mower doesn't burn oil and the plug was fine beforehand. Based on that "experiment" (with one sample and no control group) I'd stick to the 500:1 mix for more expensive engines.

Originally Posted By: Surestick
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

No one seems to have an issue with deposits at 500:1 but i used up a 50:1 mix in my 4-stroke lawn mower last summer and the plug looked like it was pulled out of a particularly nasty tar pit (I pulled the plug when starting got hard). The mower doesn't burn oil and the plug was fine beforehand. Based on that "experiment" (with one sample and no control group) I'd stick to the 500:1 mix for more expensive engines.

A 50:1 mix in a 4 stroke mower will eventually foul the plug to the point where the engine won't start. I carried your experiment out a little further with an old mower. LOL

300:1 is too much TCW-3 !! The proper dose is 640:1 or higher - never lower .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back