Oil advice for a 1996 Land Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
This old girl has 161,000 miles on it. I live in the northeast and use it as a daily driver and weekend family trip vehicle. I have always used mobile 1 5w-30 for oil changes. I have usually changed the oil every 7000 miles or every six months. All the gaskets were replaced two years ago. It does not burn or leak any oil. I am considering changing to mobile 0W 30 or mobile 0W 40 FS for assistance with cold weather starts and because these oil's have great numbers on their PDS. I am a little concerned about having head gasket issues using a 40 weight oil. I would be more comfortable using the 0W 30 for those reasons. Is this warranted? And what would your advice be regarding using either of these oil? Is it wiser to stay with the same oil ? The stats on the mobile 0W 40 look fantastic and it's difficult to choose another option. Thank you in advance for your advice. It's nice to be part of a forum of oil fanatics those around me think I'm nuts for reading and talking about oil so much.

It is Mobil, not mobile.

Why do you think a 40 weight will cause HG issue?

Mobil 1 0w-30 AFE is a suitable oil; I suspect you occasionally do some < 0F starts.

I think there's a Mobile 2 that's in use though
smile.gif

I agree with simple gifts that the Mobil 1 0w30 AFE is just fine to run. Or you could consider Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 which would be good too.

Your concern over head gasket issues is unwarranted.

That vehicle is used all over the world with 15w-40 and 20w-50.

If you're buying 0w-40 for your BMW, use it in the Toyota too.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Your concern over head gasket issues is unwarranted.

No actually, FZJ's CAN have headgasket issues but it doesn't have much to do with oil. 3FEs in FJ80s and 1 and 2fs of previous generations are lower output and tend not to have those issues. They run 20w50 in 80 series in other parts of world and 90% of those trucks are diesels with 1HZ and 1HD-Ts in them and not the gas 4.5 that the OP has. COMPLETELY different animal.

OP, I would run a 5w30 HM for the older seals though its not smoking or leaking yet . Any 5w30 dino or synth is fine for your climate. 5w30 M1 HM or PPHM 5w30 would be great. No need for a 0w oil. No need for you to change anything really. Keep an eye on greasing the chassis and Make sure you don't need a front axle rebuild with leaky seals up front.

Originally Posted By: maximus
I'd be more worried other stuff on a 22 year old vehicle.

Not really on a Land Cruiser. One of the most overbuilt long lasting vehicles ever made. That mileage is nothing.

That's absolutely true in Malaysia , diesels or gasolines.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: jayg
They run 20w50 in 80 series in other parts of world and 90% of those trucks are diesels with 1HZ and 1HD-Ts in them and not the gas 4.5 that the OP has. COMPLETELY different.

Not really on a Land Cruiser. One of the most overbuilt long lasting vehicles ever made.

Not in Australia, very popular vehicle because of it's absolute strength, but about half of them would be petrol, and yes they would just about all be running 20W-50 or 15W-40 mineral oil.

These old girls love a good 40 grade oil. But they are so strong they work well with anything reasonable.

OP welcome ! ! You are amongst friends here.

Originally Posted By: SR5
They run 20w50 in 80 series in other parts of world and 90% of those trucks are diesels with 1HZ and 1HD-Ts in them and not the gas 4.5 that the OP has. COMPLETELY different.

Not really on a Land Cruiser. One of the most overbuilt long lasting vehicles ever made.

Not in Australia, very popular vehicle because of it's absolute strength, but about half of them would be petrol, and yes they would just about all be running 20W-50 or 15W-40 mineral oil.

These old girls love a good 40 grade oil. But they are so strong they work well with anything reasonable.

OP welcome ! ! You are amongst friends here.

In Australia, anything less than 25w-60 is for hippies!
cool.gif

All jokes aside, I too agree with this. A lot of the old diesels will have had the old fashion 3months/3k miles (5k km) service regime, per the sticker on the shock tower in the engine bay.

Many of the Petrol (Gas) ones will have been the same, I'd say. A good 15w-40 would do well in that old tank of an engine.

On a funny note, even if you put any oil in it that engine would still run!

It's one of my all time favorite motor and vehicle!

Originally Posted By: B320i

cool.gif

Not too far from the truth mate.

I looked up a '96 Land Cruiser (Petrol) on the Penrite lube guide.

They suggested Penrite HPR 15 (HPR 15 link)

Quote:

Penrite HPR15
15W-60 Full Synthetic
It's API SN, ACEA A3/B4, VW 502/505
KV40 = 175 cSt
KV100 = 23.9 cSt
Zinc = 1080 ppm
SA = 1.21
TBN = 10.2

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cpayne5
A buddy just purchased a '97 LC. My oil recommendation to him was/is T6.

Yes, Rotella T6 5W40 would be an excellent choice.

Originally Posted By: zeng

That's absolutely true in Malaysia , diesels or gasolines.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5

cool.gif

All jokes aside, I too agree with this. A lot of the old diesels will have had the old fashion 3months/3k miles (5k km) service regime, per the sticker on the shock tower in the engine bay.

Many of the Petrol (Gas) ones will have been the same, I'd say. A good 15w-40 would do well in that old tank of an engine.

And Malaysia and Australia are slightly different in climate than Pennsylvania, as in almost completely different. Yeah he could run 0w40/5w40 I just don't see what benefit he would get over a 30 wt full synth that he has been doing.

Lastly, I have a 2f in my Land Cruiser. It's carbureted, flat tappet cam, mechanical fuel pump. It;s an old tank of an engine it doesn't care at all what oil is in it because it's not smart enough to do so. When did a 24 valve, EFI, DOHC FZ inline six making 300ft lbs of torque become an old tank of an engine? It's not exactly the old tractor based 1930s Chevy Stovebolt designed engines of old Land Cruisers. While a or 40 or 50wt wont kill it, I disagree that it's ideal for his usage and geography.

I used Mobil 10w30 in my FZJ 80 (with front and rear locking diffs, and ARB Bullbar and Warn winch) from it's first oil change, until I sold it 5 years later. I sold it to a neighbor, and it's still running around with no issues, just regular maintenance to date. Apparently the neighbor is still using Mobil 1 10w30 at 350k miles.

Id run a high mileage 10w-30 syn, like Mobil 1. It is ACEA A3 rated so its very robust, but still a 30wt.

Originally Posted By: HolyOilSeeker
The stats on the mobile 0W 40 look fantastic and it's difficult to choose another option.

in 80 series in other parts of world and 90% of those trucks are diesels with 1HZ and 1HD-Ts in them and not the gas 4.5 that the OP has. COMPLETELY different animal.

Yes sure a 30 grade oil is a completely acceptable choice, and yes the OP and I live in completely different climates. None of that was ever in question.

However the OP was interested in M1 0W40, and I was saying, and I still do, that it's a completely acceptable choice, even in his climate.

I was also saying, and I still do, that the concept of 90% of the rest of the world only runs diesels, doesn't reflect my experience. I have seen ample petrol cruisers in Australia, New Zealand, Asia and Africa.

Last edited:
What's in the oil stash? Let's just get common with other vehicles in the OP's garage... The Motor does not care. The starter does not care as long as it's not straight weight SAE40 ...

The best advice for cold start is to pay attention to the electricals. Especially the ground side. Make sure you have good clean cables (both ends) and and an extra ground from battery to fire wall and alternator mount will not hurt anything
smile.gif

Last edited:
The other car is an n55 BMW which I'm starting to use Castrol 0w-40 so it would be easy to use this for both. I have a small stash already built up. It's interesting to know how elsewhere in the world thicker oils are used for the same engine. This 22 year old land cruiser has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. I bought it from an engineer with serious OCD who kept every record and only used 5w-30 oils. Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try the Mobil 0w-40 fs with the next change. Curiosity, great HTHS, great PSI ratings from (504, rat), and reputation make the change worthwhile. You're probably right that the engine won't notice but it will make the driver think he did something special for the old girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back