Mobil 1 M1-104 cut 18,000 miles Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 M1-104 cut open after 18k with Pennzoil Platinum,, off a Hyundai.. Got a little away from me, she commutes to work and does alot of miles and weather has been [censored], But held up nice, no sludge or anything major, metal you see if from cutting it open, little pricey but this filter never lets me down.
IMG_6873.jpg
IMG_6876.jpg

Yeah the Mobil 1 filters do hold up really well. I agree that they are a bit pricey. At Walmart they are about ten dollars. About a dollar more than the Fram Ultra. But for those people who want to run another filter other than the Ultra these are a good option.

Last edited:
I run a Mobil 1 M1-209 on my 4Runner for two oil change intervals, that's 20K total miles.

You can see a recent UOA in the UOA section. Works for me.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I run a Mobil 1 M1-209 on my 4Runner for two oil change intervals, that's 20K total miles.

You can see a recent UOA in the UOA section. Works for me.

That's cool. I plan on running the Ultra for 2 OCIs.

Yes got a little away from me, she runs up miles so fast commuting to work. Oil didn't look bad, dark but not overly thick and no sludge, Engine has been run on Pennzoil Platinum since new.

That filter held up just fine. They are a very good filter, but the price has slowly been creeping up which prompted me to swing over to Fram Ultras for the time being.

Is it me or the lighting? It looks like that oil did some varnish removal based on the color of it. Or was it in use way too long?

Engine has no varnish, its at 66k miles and always ran Pennzoil Platinum around a 10k change interval with this filter, just got a little away from me this time, 18k on this change. But also lighting has some effect im sure. she commutes to work. to give you an idea i did this last week and she has already gone 600 miles.. All in all they are pricey but im gonna stick with them, never done me wrong, Nothing against the Ultra its a great filter but i figure why switch when i know this well and im happy with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: guitarandoil67
Engine has no varnish, its at 66k miles and always ran Pennzoil Platinum around a 10k change interval with this filter, just got a little away from me this time, 18k on this change. But also lighting has some effect im sure. she commutes to work. to give you an idea i did this last week and she has already gone 600 miles.. All in all they are pricey but im gonna stick with them, never done me wrong, Nothing against the Ultra its a great filter but i figure why switch when i know this well and im happy with it.

That's a lot of driving. No point in changing filter brands.

I used the Mobil 1 filters for a very long time and understand why you're sticking with them. They're one very well made filter. If I see a good deal on them again they'll be back in my stash. I went with the Ultras this time because I was able to get 6 of them for under $30 shipped to the house. I had scored a lot of good deals on the Mobil 1 filters over the years. I wasn't able to find a good deal this time which is why I have the Ultras now.

I used a Fram Ultra for 19,800 miles and I first thought that everything was fine but after I examined the filter closely, I found a build up of carbon/dirt where the filter media meets the end caps. I change them move often now.

The fist picture posted appears to show some substance at the bottom of the pleats where they meet the end cap. Maybe it's just oil but I would take a small pick and see if I could find accumulated debris. Otherwise the filter looks good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I used a Fram Ultra for 19,800 miles and I first thought that everything was fine but after I examined the filter closely, I found a build up of carbon/dirt where the filter media meets the end caps.

Any filter would have shown the same thing (or worse) if ran that long in an engine that produces carbon/dirt.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I used a Fram Ultra for 19,800 miles ... I found a build up of carbon/dirt where the filter media meets the end caps.

Any filter would have shown the same thing (or worse) if ran that long in an engine that produces carbon/dirt.
Besides, if it was only near the end cap, it wasn't likely restricting flow significantly. A few carbon particles were nearly the only things I ever saw in filters I ran about 18K in my Mazda (Things large enough to count without a microscope, that is.)

M1 is a good filter, stout construction. Kudos to you for using it to get a good return on the M1 price premium. Good ROI.

The last M1-104 posted here used a louvered center tube, assuming yours was the same? Curious how long a period of time the 18k mi. oci/fci took?

Thanks for c&p.

Thank goodness you have a top notch synthetic in there and a very good filter. This makes me feel better that I have 10,500 on this oci with Synpower Maxlife 0w20 and a Fram TG. About 5.5 months. I'll be changing soon with PP 5w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back