Valvoline MaxLife 5W40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
MB 229.3
lol.gif

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/maxlife/cid(7546)/maxlife_5w-40

Both are Valvoline full synthetic oils rated SN and A3/B4

MaxLife , SynPower
KV100 14.4 , 13.4 cSt
TBN 11.3 , 11.4
Noack 11.3 , 10.6 %
Mo 137 , 0 ppm
Zn 1036 , 983 ppm
Ca 3135 , 3159 ppm

The SynPower has the Noack volatility advantage, which is probably the reason why the MaxLife is only MB229.3 as it doesn't quite make the 10% cut-off (with rounding). But the MaxLife has a good dose of Moly which is not present in the SynPower. In all other ways they look fairly equivalent to me.

I would happily use either and buy on price. At the same price, I would go the MaxLife.

I happen to be using SynPower 0W40 right now, but we don't get those full synthetic MaxLife oils in Oz. I wish we got that ML here.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I'll take Maxlife based on those number, hands down.

Hands down? Really? NOACK of 11.6%.

Better than the Dexos and ACEA limit of 13% Noack.

But yeah, the oils look fairly equal to me, take your pick.... better Noack or more Moly.

Originally Posted By: SR5

But yeah, the oils look fairly equal to me, take your pick.... better Noack or more Moly.

I am comparing these two oils not ACEA limits. And Dexos? Who cares about Dexos. What is important is that one meets MB 229.5 and other (Max) does not.

Originally Posted By: SR5

I am comparing these two oils not ACEA limits. And Dexos? Who cares about Dexos. What is important is that one meets MB 229.5 and other (Max) does not.

Well, according to that Russian VOA, the Synpower 5w40 doesn't either with a Noack of 10.6%.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Well, according to that Russian VOA, the Synpower 5w40 doesn't either with a Noack of 10.6%.
smile.gif

I recall reading...somewhere...about variance, repeatably, and this from PQIA for the ASTM D5800 NOACK test "This specification is expressed to two significant figures, therefore results up to 13.5 are considered on specification." (API maximum of 13% listed here, it would be 10.5% for our discussion?)

Yeah, but I trust MB more then Russian oil test
smile.gif

I do too, but by the same token you don't really know what the Noack of Maxlife is either. But I guess it's gotta be above 10%.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
smile.gif

I recall reading...somewhere...about variance, repeatably, and this from PQIA for the ASTM D5800 NOACK test "This specification is expressed to two significant figures, therefore results up to 13.5 are considered on specification." (API maximum of 13% listed here, it would be 10.5% for our discussion?)

Yes that's the way I see it.

MB 229.5 is 10% with 10.5% considered a pass.
ACEA and Dexos is 13% with 13.5% pass.
API SN is 15% with 15.5% pass.

Yeah, but I trust MB more then Russian oil test
smile.gif

I do too, but by the same token you don't really know what the Noack of Maxlife is either. But I guess it's gotta be above 10%.

Based on approval, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back