Good Thing I Didn't Include The Back Label........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

Porsche is licensing a companies ability to sell oil to their spec.

Correction, Porsche is testing and subsequently licensing their approval to companies whose products pass their rigorous testing protocol.

Are we to believe that a top tier non A40 oil is not as good as one who paid the $35,000 fee?

If the fee is only $35 grand, then that makes the argument even more ridiculous. That's absolutely nothing to any major blender, which is likely why AMSOIL had no problem paying for it either (they are now selling approved lubricants, in case you were unaware). And yes, we are definitely to believe that. Let me give you an example:

Many years ago VW spec'd a VW-approved 5w-30 for their cars, they had a dealership agreement with Castrol, who was the dealer fill provider. VW North America didn't get the memo on the important distinction between 5w-30 and the VW approved 5w-30 and subsequently the dealers, who could purchase "regular" Castrol Syntec 5w-30 at a much lower cost, were using that in the cars instead of the OEM approved product. The result was a sludge and engine failure epidemic because while both products were "premium synthetic" 5w-30's, the OEM approved product had to pass far more stringent testing parameters which included long oil change interval capability that the North American market product did not.

If I produced a car I would do the same. Sell certs.... Not really a good business model for anybody but the company. It sours the integrity. We rehashed this prior with the folks at Kendall...... then they met the Porsche specs but no longer wanted to pay for the rights to advertise it.

Is Kendall that hard up that they can't spend the $35K you mentioned earlier, but a small blender like AMSOIL can? I'm quite certain there is far more to the story than that.

And I'm of the opposite opinion as you. Licensing a certification that carries with it extensive real world engine testing which guarantees a lubricant that is a specific level of quality bolsters the integrity, not sours it. If we were to follow your logic then the gas station mystery oils which have been demonstrated by the PQIA to be absolute blending disasters should be the definition of awesome sauce
smirk.gif

That's what I'm saying...... One day their oil was A40 rated and the next day it was not usable because they quit paying Porsche. Where is the consistency in that?

Perhaps their product no longer met the updated version of the test protocol? Similar to what is rumoured to have happened with Mobil 1 0w-40 and BMW with the new version of the product. M1 0w-40 is no longer suitable for use in applications that require LL-01, and have updated their literature to reflect that. Will it be certified again at some point? Possibly. But as of right now it is not an approved product and Mobil will NOT stand behind its use in that application. This is quite different from AMSOIL's verbiage on using a product "recommended for" that does not carry said approval, or even Castrol's language regarding the Chrysler 0w-40 spec.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Can you answer as to how you are testing the oil? I really want to know what tests you consider significant.

I'm afraid he's going to just throw it in his C-Max and drive it for 10k miles, which according to the front of the jug isn't what it's for.

It's for competition use only. "C-Max HIGH RPM OUTPUT" What is that on a C-Max? Like 6k at redline?
crackmeup2.gif
Knuckle dragging, mouth breathing automotive buzzwords. The motor oil equivalent of a Honda Civic slapping a Type R badge on the back.

"I know it's the best oil for my car because it mentions the model by name and says competition use only. Race cars need capable oil on the track and I'm just driving around town so this should be overkill for my application." This is the marketing strategy. It's painfully obvious and TERRIBLY executed. It doesn't matter if this is for science or not.

Why am I responsible for the mans label? Please tell me that.
Its obvious he has one label and puts in the info. No fool would assume you would be racing a hybrid with the exception of you.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Can you answer as to how you are testing the oil? I really want to know what tests you consider significant.

I'm afraid he's going to just throw it in his C-Max and drive it for 10k miles, which according to the front of the jug isn't what it's for.

It's for competition use only.
crackmeup2.gif
Knuckle dragging, mouth breathing automotive buzzwords. The equivalent of a Honda Civic slapping a Type R badge on the back.

"I know it's the best oil for my car because it mentions the model by name and says competition use only. Race cars need capable oil on the track and I'm just driving around town so this should be overkill for my application." This is the marketing strategy. It's painfully obvious and TERRIBLY executed. It doesn't matter if this is for science or not.

The moment you put something so disingenuous and ridiculously slapped together in your engine and are grasping to defend it's lack of facts with feelings indicates that you FELL FOR IT. Big time.

Good for you. Your opinion is the opposite of mine.
I guess Porsche engines are bulletproof due to their rigorous testing and oil specification.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Porsche is licensing a companies ability to sell oil to their spec.

Correction, Porsche is testing and subsequently licensing their approval to companies whose products pass their rigorous testing protocol.

Are we to believe that a top tier non A40 oil is not as good as one who paid the $35,000 fee?

If the fee is only $35 grand, then that makes the argument even more ridiculous. That's absolutely nothing to any major blender, which is likely why AMSOIL had no problem paying for it either (they are now selling approved lubricants, in case you were unaware). And yes, we are definitely to believe that. Let me give you an example:

Many years ago VW spec'd a VW-approved 5w-30 for their cars, they had a dealership agreement with Castrol, who was the dealer fill provider. VW North America didn't get the memo on the important distinction between 5w-30 and the VW approved 5w-30 and subsequently the dealers, who could purchase "regular" Castrol Syntec 5w-30 at a much lower cost, were using that in the cars instead of the OEM approved product. The result was a sludge and engine failure epidemic because while both products were "premium synthetic" 5w-30's, the OEM approved product had to pass far more stringent testing parameters which included long oil change interval capability that the North American market product did not.

If I produced a car I would do the same. Sell certs.... Not really a good business model for anybody but the company. It sours the integrity. We rehashed this prior with the folks at Kendall...... then they met the Porsche specs but no longer wanted to pay for the rights to advertise it.

Is Kendall that hard up that they can't spend the $35K you mentioned earlier, but a small blender like AMSOIL can? I'm quite certain there is far more to the story than that.

And I'm of the opposite opinion as you. Licensing a certification that carries with it extensive real world engine testing which guarantees a lubricant that is a specific level of quality bolsters the integrity, not sours it. If we were to follow your logic then the gas station mystery oils which have been demonstrated by the PQIA to be absolute blending disasters should be the definition of awesome sauce
smirk.gif

That's what I'm saying...... One day their oil was A40 rated and the next day it was not usable because they quit paying Porsche. Where is the consistency in that?

Perhaps their product no longer met the updated version of the test protocol? Similar to what is rumoured to have happened with Mobil 1 0w-40 and BMW with the new version of the product. M1 0w-40 is no longer suitable for use in applications that require LL-01, and have updated their literature to reflect that. Will it be certified again at some point? Possibly. But as of right now it is not an approved product and Mobil will NOT stand behind its use in that application. This is quite different from AMSOIL's verbiage on using a product "recommended for" that does not carry said approval, or even Castrol's language regarding the Chrysler 0w-40 spec.

That's the problem with your remarks. You're putting your thoughts about the product marketing on me like I bought the oil because it has to be great. You totally can't grasp the thought of testing a product. I guess you never invented a product or improved one. If I drank the Kool-aid why would I bother testing it? It would be nice for you to reread the introduction.

The label of the product is a generic label. That's obvious. This is not racing oil regardless of what the cheap label maker says. The discussion was specific and your jokes are nonsense.
Pure and simple... Go dump some more Slick 50 in your Yugo...

quote=jayg]

The moment you put something so disingenuous and ridiculously slapped together in your engine and are grasping to defend it's lack of facts with feelings indicates that you FELL FOR IT. Big time.
[/quote]

I guess Porsche engines are bulletproof due to their rigorous testing and oil specification.

Overkill's remarks aren't opinion, they are the facts.

One needs to be able to make the distinction when arguing a point of view.

This is not racing oil regardless of what the cheap label maker says. The discussion was specific and your jokes are nonsense.

Whoa, wait a minute. Is is a racing oil, correct? That's pretty obvious from their website.

Again you took it out of context..
As usual. Read his comments.

Overkill's remarks aren't opinion, they are the facts.

One needs to be able to make the distinction when arguing a point of view.

Absolutely not. It was a custom formulation specifically for my car and a specific use I had that is upcoming.
The only association with racing was his cheap generic label which he informed me upfront about.

ote=kschachn]
This is not racing oil regardless of what the cheap label maker says. The discussion was specific and your jokes are nonsense.

Whoa, wait a minute. Is is a racing oil, correct? That's pretty obvious from their website. [/quote]

Absolutely not. It was a custom formulation specifically for my car and a specific use I had that is upcoming.
The only association with racing was his cheap generic label which he informed me upfront about.

Ahha I see. Well that certainly explains the lack of any certifications.

So how are you testing the oil?

Pure and simple... Go dump some more Slick 50 in your Yugo...

My vehicles are listed in my signature. Clearly I don't have a Yugo and if I did I wouldn't use Slick 50, I would pay someone to make me a custom formulation just for my motor. I'm thinking a 17.5W45. It would be a racecar competition high RPM Yugo if that matters. Let me know what chemist comes up with.

If you want to run an "experimental" oil in a car that's cool. If you don't mind if it blows up then that obviously that's your deal. I don't see a problem with it. If it works very well without issues than that's good too. Just do your VOA and UOAs with TBN and TAN as well to document how it is going. Also I would consider running even more in depth analysis than just a spectrometer test can show.

And guys... If he wants to do this... It is his perrogative. And AirgunSavant don't be surprised if the guys on here give ya a hard time with 7.5w/25. Because it is a goofy set up. And is not a real winter time rating as is 25 not a real operating viscosity either.

Has Miro opened a new operation? I will stick to a "mystery" product produced by a known oil company as opposed to a "mystery" product by God only knows who.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back