Neighbors garbage cans

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my area, we pay a flat fee for Trash and Recycling pickup. If you are going to put something in my recycling bins, more power to you! if you are putting it in my trash can, rethink whether it is recyclable. If not then feel free to put it in my trash can.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
As long as those items are allowed to be taken by the garbage company or they're not being charged by weight, I don't see why not.

Ask.

Don't just "use" without permission.

Exactly, ask.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
As long as those items are allowed to be taken by the garbage company or they're not being charged by weight, I don't see why not.

Ask.

Don't just "use" without permission.

Exactly, ask.

Yup. Ask.

I've spoken with my neighbors about this very thing. We have a standing agreement that if any of us ever has more trash than what will fit in our trash can, that we can put it in the neighbor's trash can if there is room. Of course this is something that would only be done the evening before pickup. But any reasonable person who has ever had more trash than what will fit in their trash can, would understand that the neighbors can also be in that situation from time to time.

My wife and I are empty nesters, so it's not unusual for our trash can to be less than 1/3 full. I would have no problem with one of our neighbors putting trash in it.

I wouldn't mind that much if it was one of the neighbors I'm friendly with. But then they've assumed some additional responsibility with my can. Like retrieving it should the wind blow it down the street or something.

I'm glad where we don't have limits on the amount of garbage we can put out each week.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: fenixguy
However, from that pic, how can you tell who's is who's? Are the cans marked for each apartment?

No cans are ever marked or identifiable unless you count a rat/squirrel hole in a specific corner as ID
The cans are not on private property.
They are in the public alleyway.

They are located and oriented however the garbagemen leave them. Can be directly in front of garage doors or in between garages.

Where is the problem Unless a dead body is put into one, or the can weighs 500lb and the truck cant lift it.

link to Chicago alderman on garbage pickup

It's not like people are handwashing and waxing the inside of the cities' garbage can each week.

As long as the trash is picked up who cares?

You might if a neighbor decides to put something in your barrel that isn't allowed. Car batteries, paint, tires a propane tank...the waste from a meth lab.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Why have the trash truck stop at every half full can? if more cans were full and less truck stops its just more efficient. Where are the whining carbon police on this notion?

I put small stuff in my neighbors can many times and my can stays parked. Its trash guys don't make a mess or be a slob and it shouldn't be a problem.
Why?

In my case spite. The city used to have a sticker system in place where you could put a sticker on a 32-gallon bag instead of renting a cart for a monthly fee. Recycling is covered on our water bill. Every week my recycle bin was full and set out and, being single and not much of a consumer, every 5-6 weeks I'd accumulate enough trash to fill a 32-gallon bag and would put that at the curb.

Waste hauler "convinces" city to go to much better system that will save [most] residents money and now no more stickers unless it's for trash that doesn't fit in the bin I now have to pay for. Waste hauler's justification is that it costs them just as much to run the truck down the street whether or not I put out trash.

Fixed costs, I get that. They overlooked the variable costs involved in having to stop, run the hydraulic arm to empty the can and then start again. And because I had no choice but to take and pay rent on one of these wonderful cans it's out every week, even when empty. I am paying for the service after all, might as well use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back