New Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart 20k Mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: salcuta88
There wasn't a label created for it, but it was shelved with EP.

So the $28.68 price in your photo is incorrect?

You are correct. It was put on the shelf that has the M1 EP price. I've checked all the labels. None match the UPC on the new M1.

No security devices here, and lot's of the stuff. Again, time will tell how well it sells

It is in prime position to be a great dust collector. Which it will do so given that the $28 oils at Wally World have a hard enough time selling already.

Yeah Wemay I think that typical shoppers there like to buy oil that is at least less than $25. And if it's less than $20 it is going to move fairly well. I would say that Castrol Magnatec and Castrol 0w40 are two of the best oils in Wally World. The value that both those oils bring to the table make them hard to beat. Magnatec does great in all these turbo, GDI motors and it very good for many other vehicles. The 0w40 is strong for the fancier cars and obviously meets a whole lot of tough specs.

Hi,

This is our newest and highest quality product. The website will be updated by the middle of March to reflect the new addition. We do not currently have the PDS or SDS, but they will be added around the same time that the product officially launches in March. This product will be guaranteed for 20,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. It will not replace the Mobil 1 Extended Performance, rather it will be an addition to the Mobil 1 Line. The target market for this oil is people that are out of manufacture warranty and are not required to change their oil at a mandated interval. If you are still under warranty, you will still be required to change your oil at the intervals specified by your manufacture. This does not mean that you can not use the oil, it just means that you will have to comply with your required interval changes.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,
Jake Ackerman
Mobil Help Desk Team
If I can help further with this inquiry or with any other questions, please respond to this email or phone us 1-800-ASK-Mobil

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I'm not betting, I am flat out GUARANTEEING that if this oil sits at its current $50 price point, they will sell like dead flies. This oil will sell worse than green bottle NextGen did. Bring on the clearance sales!! Whatever IDIOT came out with this pricing structure should be immediately fired. As in yesterday. Because they are a MORON. Have they never walked around a Wal-Mart before and seen the shopping demographic of a Wal-Mart store?

It's hard to say. At least they were smart enough to show the mileage. Until gold bottle Edge started showing mileage, they couldn't sell it up here. It would just never move. No one would buy the product at a premium over black bottle Castrol. M1 EP always did good enough up here, since it advertised the mileage. Now, PU has had, historically, a whack of troubles up here.

But, that price point is going to be very hard to swallow in the States.

A little hint aside from the XOM feedback - note where the gold cap moved to and EP does not have it ...
A year from now that gold cap best not be $5-$10 more ...

Maybe they should call it an HM^2 oil.
smile.gif

It has its up side $50 oil, $10 20k filter, $60 total, maybe 2 less priced oil changes could be worked out but what's your time worth,1 less oil filter to recycle and handle, 5 qts less oil to recycle and handle, one less time to go pick up an oil jug and a filter extra time to do something else productive think outside the box a little more and don't just focus on what seems obvious, better for the environment.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
A little hint aside from the XOM feedback - note where the gold cap moved to and EP does not have it ...
A year from now that gold cap best not be $5-$10 more ...

Dolly Smokes!

You're right. I wonder what the difference is between EP and AP.

I guess next time M1 wants to come up with a greater product, they'll move the cap again, hahaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the new AP product at the big WM near my work for just under $50.

Looks like Kurt Busch did not use his M1 AP paint scheme for Daytona...I kind of figured the sudden (and maybe early) appearance of the oil at WM was meant to coincide with the debut of his M1 AP car there.

I'm generally not a fan of creating too many product tiers. In some instances, you can lose sales when there are too many choices. When looking at it from a cost/performance basis, the cost is higher that I'd expect for the additional 5k miles. As someone that generally wants the "best" oil I can get, I would be interested in this oil. However, I don't know if the price increase is really worth it.

I don't know how much Mobil Super XOM sells (I'm guessing not much), but I would probably get rid of that oil all together. That leaves you with (3) tiers - M1 - 10k miles, EP 15k miles and AP for 20k miles. It should be noted that this is actually inline with the industry, including Amsoil/RP.

$50 is a lot ($10/qt). I will be looking forward to seeing the PDS and Mobil website for more about this oil.

I've always been confident in XOM's synthetic oils. They are thoroughly tested.

I'll bet XOM asked a question:
how much worth is your time wasted on oil change 2x a year
$30
Okay add $20 for average dose of oil it makes $50
We'll sell you it bundled for $30

Oil + (time + no second oil ) = $50

Originally Posted By: Bobby_x
I'll bet XOM asked a question:
how much worth is your time wasted on oil change 2x a year
$30
Okay add $20 for average dose of oil it makes $50
We'll sell you it bundled for $30

Oil + (time + no second oil ) = $50

Except you could do annual oil changes with $28 M1 EP as well, in most cases.

Originally Posted By: buster
I'm generally not a fan of creating too many product tiers. In some instances, you can lose sales when there are too many choices. When looking at it from a cost/performance basis, the cost is higher that I'd expect for the additional 5k miles. As someone that generally wants the "best" oil I can get, I would be interested in this oil. However, I don't know if the price increase is really worth it.

I don't know how much Mobil Super XOM sells (I'm guessing not much), but I would probably get rid of that oil all together. That leaves you with (3) tiers - M1 - 10k miles, EP 15k miles and AP for 20k miles. It should be noted that this is actually inline with the industry, including Amsoil/RP.

$50 is a lot ($10/qt). I will be looking forward to seeing the PDS and Mobil website for more about this oil.

I've always been confident in XOM's synthetic oils. They are thoroughly tested.

You should know when you get into the top five percent (or so) of things, you get into diminishing returns.

Example. Dollar store oil to a name brand conventional may be a great upscale in quality. But then going to a blend is only somewhat better, then finally going full synthetic is only further mildly better. Even though between each stage of these items represents an equal increase in material costs and the labor of engineering and bottling.

Example, U got a 2000lb car and it has 50hp. It does okay, but what about 100hp. There you have doubled, but going to 150hp probably wont be as cool as the blast you got when you punched it after getting into your 100hp motor for the first time. And even so that going from 100 to 150 wasn't as cool- it costed more because you already ate the low hanging fruit!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I saw the new AP product at the big WM near my work for just under $50.

Looks like Kurt Busch did not use his M1 AP paint scheme for Daytona...I kind of figured the sudden (and maybe early) appearance of the oil at WM was meant to coincide with the debut of his M1 AP car there.

Yeah Clint Bowyer had the #14 Mobil 1 car and it was just "generic" M1.

Virtus_Probi
Exxon Mobil is ranked # 9 in the Forbes list of the world's largest public companies.Profits at the end of the last financial year were $16.2b,market worth is $363.3b.Royal Dutch Shell is ranked # 50 on the list with a profit of $2.1B and a market value of $210b.Total,and Chevron both rank higher than Shell in terms of generated profits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back