Residual Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any rule of thumb to account for residual water left behind in the radiator after flushing when adding antifreeze if your desired concentration is 50/50.

If you're really worried, dilute the antifreeze to 60:40 and then forget about it. If it doesn't get below 30 where you live, don't worry about it period. Remember, some water will evaporate over time, but the ethylene glycol component does very very little evaporation.

I would think that if you know the capacity, and measure how much you drain out, you would know how much is left in the system. Or am I missing something?

Not too cold where you are at, so I wouldn't worry about it unless the you require that concentration to keep things from freezing.

Figure out how much the quantity of recommended coolant capacity is , for example 4 gallons to fill the engine radiator etc. 50/50 mix would 2 gallons 100% coolant and 2 gallons of distilled water. Start by adding 1 gallon of coolant ,1 gallon of water,1 gallon of coolant then the remainder of the 1 gallon of water. Some times all will go in, some times you can have left over water. then go from there.

I flush with distilled and drain. Then add a gallon of 70/30 and top off with 50/50. Usually comes out 50%-60%.

To share my experience I had a supposed 50/50 mix fail done 8 months prior at -20 F in a 1978 Malibu after I flushed and filled years ago that is why I am inquiring.

You simply overlooked something or you car was sabotaged.

Also: Who supposed the 50/50 mix? Knowledge is better here.

Empty, clean and rinse the system (as necessary) to the best of your ability. Finish off with distilled water.
Add the amount of concentrated coolant which when placed in the numerator of a fraction with the cooling system's capacity placed in the denominator (using the same units of measure) results in your desired mix. The answer will be a fraction.
Convert to a decimal then to a ratio.

50:50 is a popular one.

Then add distilled water to fill the system.

What I do is separate a pint of concentrate and make a quart of mix (I use 50:50) to fill the coolant reservoir.

it's simple. Find out the cooling system capacity (your local Napa has a book that list the capacity). Add half that amount in pure 100% coolant. Then finish the fill with distilled water.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
it's simple. Find out the cooling system capacity (your local Napa has a book that list the capacity). Add half that amount in pure 100% coolant. Then finish the fill with distilled water.

Ditto. The hardest part nowadays is finding actual 100% concentrate.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

That will be close enough (if you drain both radiator and block), but it will be below 50-50 because volumes are not additive. Chemistry 101.

Buy an inexpensive specific gravity tester and do some fine tuning. The inexpensive ones are not "lab grade" but they'll get you in the ballpark.

Concentrate should be mixed with distilled water BEFORE it is added to the engine. Coolant is heavier than water and will not always mix in the engine block.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Concentrate should be mixed with distilled water BEFORE it is added to the engine. Coolant is heavier than water and will not always mix in the engine block.

I dont buy it. If you are correct, do you feel that in 1000 miles it will still not have mixed? Also, what harm would/could it cause?

With many engines, coolant flows only through the cylinder heads. The lower block fills with liquid but does not flow. Concentrated coolant can enter this area and remain there because of its weight. Water with a smaller amount of coolant will circulate through the upper part of such a system. This promotes corrosion as the mixture is inadequate to protect the metal.

Why not just play it safe by mixing the coolant and distilled water before pouring them into the engine?

Why not just play it safe by mixing the coolant and distilled water before pouring them into the engine?

Correct. You can even use a cheap water pitcher to do this task. Many cheap dollar store pitchers have graduation marks on the side. Pour a given amount of 100% concentrate into the pitcher, then an equal amount of water. Pretty simple deal.

When your original 100% concentrate jug is down to half (or close), simply fill the jug back up to the original fill amount. Presto, you have 50/50 (or close).

Last edited:

Wrong. The water pump will mix it.

Originally Posted By: propuckstopper

Correct. You can even use a cheap water pitcher to do this task. Many cheap dollar store pitchers have graduation marks on the side. Pour a given amount of 100% concentrate into the pitcher, then an equal amount of water. Pretty simple deal.

When your original 100% concentrate jug is down to half (or close), simply fill the jug back up to the original fill amount. Presto, you have 50/50 (or close).

I like that but how do you account for the water that doesn't drain completely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back