Specs Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I am shopping for a good grease for the universal joints on my Lada Niva. Most of what I read indicates that a Lithium based, EP grease is needed. However, when reviewing the specs on some available grease, it is not clear to me which type is better "extreme pressure" grease.

Ravenol Super EP

Ravenol Hot Red 2

Though it lacks an explicit "EP" label, the HRG 2 grease has a higher rating for VKA Pressure Carrying Capacity. Doesn't this mean that it is superior as an EP grease?
Additionally, it has better numbers for working and short term temperature, and dropping point. In their descriptions the Super EP specifically mentions universal joint applications, and the HRG 2 does not.

Based on the specs, would the HRG 2 grease be better for my universal joints?

Langzeitfett is all you need, HRG is an overkill, that's why I picked it. May give your vehicle more protection in extreme usage. But who'd drive a Niva on autobahn? [unless there is a Hot Natasha, riding shotgun]

Originally Posted By: Y_K
But who'd drive a Niva on autobahn

Uh, I do...but only about 30 km to get to the Revier, and then I am off-road. I ended up with Castrol LMX. NEW U-joints, new grease.

Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted By: Jeffrey
I ended up with Castrol LMX. NEW U-joints, new grease.

Sounds like a solid industrial product from the description. They specifically mention cardans, so you are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back