Tire question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the warm weather I'm doing some cleaning. Realized I've been storing a set of all seasons for my truck for the last 4 years. Date code of 3912. I put on LTX's pretty quickly after buying the truck, meant to sell these, tried a couple of times, never got rid of them. Now I'm looking to make space in the shed, and these are pretty big, after all.

That said... my LTX's are down to 5-6/32's after 4 years and 50k. Maybe 10k miles left in them, which is a year I think. Do I keep these older tires and put on in a year, when they are 5-6 years old? I'm thinking not, they are stored in a metal shed and have been baking for 4 years. Bridgestone Dueler 684 II, in P255/70R18, for my Tundra. They have about 7k on them, and 8-9/32's of tread left. They don't feel rock hard but it's not like I can actually measure hardness with my thumbnail.

[I've got snow tires for the truck, so AS is being used for only 3 seasons.]

I'm thinking, toss. When my LTX's are done, buy new tires and forget about saving a buck. I'd just like to hear confirmation that I'm not nuts for throwing out tires with tread on them.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't sell them on Craig's List for $50-100. At least you'd get some cash.

I've been tire shopping the past week myself. The two stores I've been in both have signs out about tire degradation over time and the related safety issues. I believe both said they won't install or service tires over 5 years old. Maybe it's just install or repair...but they'll rotate and balance. Can't remember the details.

It's your call on the tires. I'd bet their fine, as I think the major damage is caused by exposure to sunlight. But I'm kind of a safety nut with my family in the car, so I'd sell them to someone that will maybe burn thru them in a year or two and use the cash to offset new rites.

Originally Posted By: supton
Due to the warm weather I'm doing some cleaning. Realized I've been storing a set of all seasons for my truck for the last 4 years. Date code of 3912. I put on LTX's pretty quickly after buying the truck, meant to sell these, tried a couple of times, never got rid of them. Now I'm looking to make space in the shed, and these are pretty big, after all.

That said... my LTX's are down to 5-6/32's after 4 years and 50k. Maybe 10k miles left in them, which is a year I think. Do I keep these older tires and put on in a year, when they are 5-6 years old? I'm thinking not, they are stored in a metal shed and have been baking for 4 years. Bridgestone Dueler 684 II, in P255/70R18, for my Tundra. They have about 7k on them, and 8-9/32's of tread left. They don't feel rock hard but it's not like I can actually measure hardness with my thumbnail.

[I've got snow tires for the truck, so AS is being used for only 3 seasons.]

I'm thinking, toss. When my LTX's are done, buy new tires and forget about saving a buck. I'd just like to hear confirmation that I'm not nuts for throwing out tires with tread on them.

Just how much did you ask for the tires? With that little tread, they're not really worth much. People who sell used tires forget that they're also competing with junkyards. You can get a junkyard tire for $30-$50 with about 1/2 to 3/4 tread left and those were usually $100+ tires.

IIRC last time I asked $150 for four tires with 8-9/32's on them. Seemed reasonable. No bites. Maybe it was $200.

Not worth my time at $100 to sell, don't have time during the week to deal with tire kickers.

Any time ive sold tires, we email and then the person comes and pucks them up. Very well worth $100 imo.

I suppose I could try again--kids are out of school next week, which makes evenings a bit easier. Forgot that I did have a bit more time this week, due to that. I'll give that one more shot.

Originally Posted By: supton

Not worth my time at $100 to sell, don't have time during the week to deal with tire kickers.

I sold a pair of 195/70/14s 1/2 an hour after I listed them to a literal tire kicker. They were still on the rims so I pumped them up to 45-50 PSI before the lady came over. Sure enough she kicked them, liked them, bought them.

What I do is I put the tires in my front yard by the picnic table and tell prospective craigslisters to stop by anytime "Wed afternoon" when I'm at work and if the like the tires to put the money under a brick on the picnic table. I've sold all sorts of stuff by that table this way... I started calling it the "money table."

You have to specify a specific afternoon though to prevent flakes/ no-shows.

Ive sold 2 sets of tires in the last month. I sold the factory Continental Tires off my Malibu for $100 w/ 7-8/32 tread left w/ a 2015 date code. And i sold the primewell tires tht came with my Taurus i just bought for $90 w/ 7-8/32 with a 2013 date code. U could probably get at least $100-$150 for your used tires. I put a new set of continental tires on the Malibu and a set of defenders i took off my moms old taurus on my taurus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'd run them but that's just me

Me too, nothing wrong with them.

Most people ask WAY too much for used tires. I've sold several decent pairs and sets of 4 easily for $10-15 each. Even on tires that were expensive new. I usually get a couple calls within 2 hours, and have had them sold a few times within 6 hours after listed. For that set you have that aren't great even when new, I would ask $60 or less for all 4. You can add to that what you would have pay to throw them away, and they are gone.

Last edited:
I tossed them up at $125/BO for all four. Zero nibbles. I'll drop the price a bit, but if I still get no nibbles I'll probably toss.

Your tires are only half worn out why don't you keep using them until you get down to 2/32?

Originally Posted By: i6pwr
Your tires are only half worn out why don't you keep using them until you get down to 2/32?

4/32 is where wet traction suffers. Being a top-heavy and front-heavy truck, I'm reluctant to "test the waters", as it were. I'm trying to get out of the habit of running tires to 2/32's in general.

Anyhow: the LTX's that I run on the truck are at 5-6/32's, and I'll run those to at least 4/32's. It's the Dueler's that have been sitting for 3-4 years that have 8-9/32's.

Have you sold much on craigslist?

put the size in the title

and put a bunch of "keywords" at the bottom of the post so it shows up in more searches.

Include a pic with all 4 tires in it
include another pic with something in the tread to show depth.
Penny is the standard.

Here I would have to pay to throw them out. So even 50$ would be a deal to me.
or call a couple used tire places see if they want them.

No, I think I've sold one thing on CL over the years. I've posted a few times, but had little luck.

I did do pics last time, just not this time. Maybe this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back