Acura MDX Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 5qt bottle of Mobile Super 10w-30 I may give a try. Oh it was not fun driving home in the slow lane keeping the rpm below 2500k sigh. I love my clover leaf on ramps wooosaaaahhhh deep breath woooosssaaaahhhh
eek.gif

Thank you everyone for the replies I will keep you updated.

Originally Posted By: Brolly
So I checked the MDX the other night and it was down a quart. Oil was changed in November went on a 900 mile round trip vacation in December. I checked the oil multiple times while on the vacation trip and it didn't use any oil I was trying to produce a high mpg on this trip 21mpg overall which is my best in this car. Since the vacation its been short tripped by my wife to go to the grocery store. I have been driving it the last 2 weeks and I tend to put it through its paces. Why do VTEC engines consume oil when hitting the 4500 or above rpm range? Has anyone had luck with slowing the consumption down even hitting higher rpms? Im planning on changing the oil in a week or two.
Also when I looked inside the engine through the oil fill hole there seems to be some tarnish look to it any ideas?

2011 Acura MDX 3.7
SH-AWD
88490k as of today
PPU 5w-20
Microgreen oil filter

Maybe give Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 a try?

My brother has a 1997 Honda Civic. He bought it 2007 with 90,000 miles on it. He now has 305,000 on it. He used Pennzoil Platinum, then Ultra for almost the entire time. The Civic has consumed some oil ever since he bought it. Then, a couple of years ago, he wanted to try different oil, went with Mobil 1. On this last change, tried the Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30. It really has reduced the consumption a lot. He has a little over 2,000 miles on the oil change, and I just added 4 oz to keep it topped off at the full mark. Before, it maybe was double that. I wasn't expecting that much improvement.

And, my brother is not babying it either. He dumped in Seafoam in the gas tank for the last couple of fill ups and has been punching the gas a lot. It's a manual so he has been having fun flooring it on the open stretches of road. Considering this, I am impressed that the Mobil 1 HM has still cut down on the consumption.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back