Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking on the reason of confusing results on my B5204T2 Volvo engine:

Hungary: Magnatec 10W40 A3/B4
Germany: EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4
Austria: Magnatec 5W40 A3/B4
Poland: EDGE Titanium FST Turbo Diesel 5W-40
Romania: Edge 5W-40 A3/B4

The funny thing for me: you can travel within 1 day in the all countries (we are close to each others), but CASTROL thinks different.
Any comment on this?

Last edited:
Different marketing department for each country? I could see a different recommendation for Spain vs Finland maybe, but not for the countries you listed. Gives you lots of choices I suppose.

Interesting. It doesn't even have the NSX in the system. And for the S2000, it recommends an unavailable "special oil" for the AP1, but 10W-30 or 5W-40 for the AP2. *shrug*

robert

If the oil selector tells you to use something not in the owners manual, they could be liable for warranty claims.
It's only about money.

Yes, but 'VOLVO RECOMMENDS CASTROL' - but Castrol doesn't know too much about VOLVO engines...
smile.gif

Last edited:
It's all about marketing
Deutschland loves M1 0w40 just take a look ar their forums
So Castrol has to follow the trend
In Poland there has been massive advertising on Edge
And Magnatec has bad reputation because of sludge issues in the past
10w40 for Hu? Maybe mild winters out there?

10w40 is the 'perfect' choice: this is the old school thinking here - indepencently from the brand name.
So Castrol offers his 10W40 product as well + this is the cheapest Castrol oil available.

The former owner of my S60 filled Magnatec 10W40 synthetic blend and let it run for 16K miles.
Results: TB was dirty and caused wawing rev at idling + cleaning period needed remove the 'dark material' from the engine by M1 and Shell Helix Ultra (shorter OCI).
Even the PCV system partly clogged.

Great application!

Hooked up the Net searching for Edge 0W40/5W40 A3 or Magnatec 5W40 A3 'synthetic' oils: hardly available or very expensive comparing with M1 0W40 or Mobil 5W40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zoli
The funny thing for me: you can travel within 1 day in the all countries (we are close to each others), but CASTROL thinks different.
Any comment on this?

Heck, within Canada for my G37, they recommend GTX 5w-30, black bottle 5w-30, and gold bottle 5w-30, all SN/GF-5, or 5w-30 C3/dexos2, which is markedly different, but "good enough" because it's an SN 5w-30.
wink.gif
Of course, 0w-40 is the "wrong grade" and 0w-30 is SL, which is obviously way "too dated" a specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back