YOUR eds red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title implies... What's your favorite recipe for eds red and how long have you been using it?

I'm considering replacing bf clp with something like this, but I would be focusing on longevity for storage and carry over outright cleaning properties.

I've played with Ed's Red before.
It can be an actually really good cleaner, if you are careful and you have a HUGE project that requires a LOT of cleaning.

However, I stick with products that are made for the process of cleaning or lubricating, or preserving.
Break Free CLP has been my go to, with Break Free Collector for storage, for a number of years now.

I HIGHLY recommend a quality name brand product as a preservative.
I know too many guys who don't clean their gear on a regular basis who have had finishes on heirlooms ruined by lack of maintenance.

The DIY part of Ed's works as far as solvents, and maybe lubricants.
But I fail to see where it can preserve very well.

No matter how you mix it always seems to be a trade off.

1 part each:

Mobil 1 ATF
Mineral Spirits
Camp stove fuel

Plus, 1/3 part acetone

I like to go easy on the acetone.

I've always gone with the alleged "original" formula: equal parts kerosene, mineral spirits, dexron III and acetone. A cup of this mixture lasts me a long time.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

The DIY part of Ed's works as far as solvents, and maybe lubricants.
But I fail to see where it can preserve very well.

The original Ed's Red commentary defined how long it would preserve with and without lanolin. Im not sure what youre implying though, as Ed's notionally leaves behing a film of ATF, just like any other product might leave behind a thin, oily film. Why would that ATF residue be worse than anything else, especially if there is a bit of lanolin in there???

For me, Ive only recently made it. I made it with the kerosine and spirits, as well as the ATF and acetone, and in one jar I left it as-is, in another jar I added anhydrous lanolin. The one without I can soak parts in, the one with I may dip parts in, in time...

For anything I might touch on my skin, I stay with my Ballistol, though I did just boy some Slip 2000 EWL... Ed's is just a fun product for soaking and immersing. I may pour some non-lanolin mix off, and throw it in a jar with some patches, to have a pre-soaked patch set...

Cleaner : 65% Mineral Oil 35% Rubbing Alcohol (90+% strength formula)
Lube : 50% M1 20W50 V-Twin Synthetic Oil , 50% Dexron VI Synthetic ATF

Last edited:
OMG... your poor wife and kids have to smell all that? Wear gloves handling it too. For if it even seeps a week or month later, who knows where your contaminated fingers may go right afterwards.

Here honey! Try this Ed's Red Omelette.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
OMG... your poor wife and kids have to smell all that? Wear gloves handling it too. For if it even seeps a week or month later, who knows where your contaminated fingers may go right afterwards. Here honey! Try this Ed's Red Omelette.

That's the biggest problem with a lot of these homemade concoctions. They make the whole house smell like the embalming room at a funeral home.

I've never seen a recipe that contains formaldehyde...whose recipe is that, and what's it supposed to achieve ?

I'm onto non-chlorinated brake cleaner (alcohol and acetone) for clean, and air tool oil for bores that will not be used for a while. The air tool oil says it prevents rust, displaces moisture, and prevents deposits. Seems like just the thing to store a gun.

I use air tool oil in conjunction with M1 20W50 V-Twin + Dexron ATF homebrew if I want to thin it out a little ... A very slippery brew !
Originally Posted By: 2cool
I'm onto non-chlorinated brake cleaner (alcohol and acetone) for clean, and air tool oil for bores that will not be used for a while. The air tool oil says it prevents rust, displaces moisture, and prevents deposits. Seems like just the thing to store a gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back