WWII Aircraft Recognition Quiz (not easy !!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Number 20 appears to be a Boeing P-26 Peashooter....not a Japanese plane as the quiz states.

That one threw me too, but the P-26 was not a choice.
It is in fact an Mitsubishi A5M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_A5M

And yes, there were some obscure ones, mostly French and Italian. The great part of multiple choice is knowing what it isn't.

Yes, I see that is what it was now. I'd have to say though, I've not seen many A5M's with red stripes on the tail like that. Also, you've got to admit that it was a rather poor representation. Some of the quality of these pictures are poor to say the least and even make identification more difficult.

I missed two.

Guess what????

I reviewed the supposed picture of the Mitsubishi A5M and compared it to the P-26 Peashooter. And as a current Boeing employee...I actually WAS RIGHT!!!

The quiz is incorrect. Those rudder stripes made me think about it and I realized that only 1930's to very early WW2 period the U.S. had those on it's fighters.... fairly commonly. A closer look at the quiz picture also confirms it's 100% a P-26. Note the wheel skirt shape, the width of the cowl, and the windscreen/cockpit headrest.

So....I only missed one!

48 out 49 and I agree they did make a mistake and posted the prototype to the P-26...

Mitsubishi A5M
65_28.jpg

Prototype to P26 Pee Shooter
P-26+II.jpg

The quiz photo...

Last edited:
44 ... As a boy I likely built models of many of them, and certainly had a few lucky guesses. The photo of one aircraft in the middle didn't come in properly and my guess was wrong.

A lot of it was the process of elimination - having aircraft of different nationalities helped, but I was misled when they were re-badged with another nation's colours.

Started off 10/10 then an epic fail for only 30 right. Never knew there were so many planes. I built a dozen or so models as a kid.

Originally Posted By: Hueypilot
39/49. Some of these I have never seen!

BTW are there any Huey drivers here??

An impressive score!

I visit aviation museums for fun, and didn't get that many...

Don't know of any Huey drivers, but we've got a few military flyers.

Thank you for your service, sir.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Hueypilot
39/49. Some of these I have never seen!

BTW are there any Huey drivers here??

An impressive score!

I visit aviation museums for fun, and didn't get that many...

Don't know of any Huey drivers, but we've got a few military flyers.

Thank you for your service, sir.

Your are quite welcome! Truthfully, I did guess on some of them.😎

I got 33/48. A few of them had me going 'D'oh!'
No hints taken, I didn't know that there were any offered. I'm disappointed with my score but it looks like I did average among my BITOG brethren.

I got 43/48

I got sloppy 1/2 way through. But that was hard. They lured you in with simple stuff, then got totally DeWoitine and other rare stuff on your a%&!

1. Thank god I know my Yaks vs. my Migs and Lavochkins!
2. The other ones were give-aways with national markings and general lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back