Pennz Plat Euro 5W30 w/LL-04 @ Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: weasley
Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Too bad the Chrysler spec MS-11106 has been superseded by MS-10902 which is CJ-4 5w40 HDEO...

A mid-SAPS passenger car specification has been superseded by a higher-ash, heavy duty diesel spec? Really?
Or is this just that the oil recommendation in various applications has been updated?

Yeah, it is because of design problems on 3.0 V6 diesel engine in FCA vehicles. One way to prevent issues is going heavy with more SAPS.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In theory, it cannot.

http://www.oilmart.com/data/products/pds/1244/PDS Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30.pdf

I said "in theory."

Back then, even the full saps euro 5w40 TDS was showing 11%. When I confronted a SOPUS employee about it, he said it was a typo. LOL!

Oh well, yeah, we all know how SOPUS was/still doing its job when it comes to pds.

anyone know what prevents this oil from being rated VW 502? I'd love to try a Euro Penn product, but can't find one easily.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
anyone know what prevents this oil from being rated VW 502?

For one, the TBN isn't high enough since this is a low SAPS product. See VOA here:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr..._Eu#Post4314224

But this oil seems to be absent of any VW approvals, even the low SAPS ones. Not sure why.

If you want 502.00 rated oil, I'd use Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 or 0w-40 instead.

Quote:
I'd love to try a Euro Penn product, but can't find one easily.

Did you try PepBoys? What about Advance Auto Parts?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/pennz...m=pennzoil+euro

Is there any more benefits to using the Euro version for American made car since it can be used in my GM car per the back label.

You can do it, if you know what you're getting yourself into. Do you have a GM diesel Cruze? That's what the dexos2 on this oil is for, at least in North America. It absolutely will work in a gasoline engine, but there are more suitable alternatives, and a dexos2 oil strikes me as a rather expensive way to shorten the OCI in a gasoline vehicle.

Thanks Garek as you are always very helpful. I will just stick with the 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic that it is used to getting. This is a flex fuel car so I am not going to go beyond what the manual recommends. Thanks again

No problem. A dexos1 5w-30 option is certainly what would be technically backspeced for just about ever GM gasser in living memory.
wink.gif

So sad
frown.gif
. In Australia Shell Helix - Ultra ECT C3 and Ultra AG (which are the global versions of Pennzoil Euro L, same Dexos2 spec) cost $79.95 and $81.95 respectively.

Best price on sale you can get them for is ~$57. Even then that's twice the price (taking in currency conversion.)

It's great oil, been using it in my Saab 9-5 which calls for GM LL-0-25A. Has made a world of difference since I got the car. With constant improvement each oil change every 5,000kms for the last 20,000kms.

Too bad the Chrysler spec MS-11106 has been superseded by MS-10902 which is CJ-4 5w40 HDEO...

A mid-SAPS passenger car specification has been superseded by a higher-ash, heavy duty diesel spec? Really?
Or is this just that the oil recommendation in various applications has been updated?

Yes, Superseded... FCA even rewrote the 2014-2015 EcoDiesel supplements but won't pay for their oil changes but they pay for my 2016.

Yes, Superseded... FCA even rewrote the 2014-2015 EcoDiesel supplements but won't pay for their oil changes but they pay for my 2016.

How is superseded? I would say FCA adjusted their oil selection, since Low-SAPS oil is actually more sophisticated then CJ-4. What FCA is doing is trying to address engineering problem in that engine. Did you ask FCA are they going to increase DPF warranty?

Yes...

So did they extended warranty on DPF? T6 has SAPS level on par with high-SAPS oils in ACEA A3/B3 category.

Why would the DPF need an extended warranty? The new Chrysler spec crosses straight to the Cummins spec and Cummins uses T6 1% SAP without any issues running DPF & SCR. It wasn't too long ago when 1% was Low-SAPs...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
With lower sulfur gas id be willing to experiment on my 135i, but i still have some 5w-40 from one of those goid sales where it wasnt excluded.

Main question... what is the NOACK???

I thought January 1st of 2017 was supposed to start tier 3, 10 PPM max sulfur gas in the U.S.?

The regulators did however, with all the exceptions it likely we won't realize it at the pump for years..meanwhile we just won't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back