What is your preferred whisky/whiskey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: mcrn
http://www.newslinq.com/aspartame-danger/

Lol. My guess is there's a similar website out there for everything known to man that someone thinks will kill you. Short on facts and truth but wide on speculation.

Lmao.

I guess I'll rephrase my question:

Is there a link from a credible source that went through extensive research like the FDA and EFSA does that contradicts the FDA and EFSA findings?

Here are just some links from the Government Accountability Office archives:
Food Additive Approval Process Followed for Aspartame

Six Former HHS Employees' Involvement in Aspartame's Approval (PDF)

American Cancer Society:
What is aspartame

I'm sure if anybody wanted to find the EFSA's take on it they can explore for archives themselves.

This link might help others when they search for credible sources:
Step-By-Step Process of Deconstructing a... of Information

Last edited:
A senior at Yale wrote her thesis on Cortical Spreading Depression (CSD) - the neurological phenomenon that manifests itself in the form of migraine headaches and ocular migraines or "auras". She's in medical school now, with a strong history of neurology and neurological research.

Aspartame inhibits glutamate binding and it is glutamate that is at the core of causes for CSD.

Magnesium deficiency can also increase susceptibility to the glutamate reaction, but that's another story. I gave up diet soda three years ago - and eliminated the symptoms of CSD, which in my case were ocular auras.

So, if you enjoy tooth decay from phosphoric acid and the increased susceptibility to migraines and other neurological effects, keep pounding the diet soda.

Scotch (in moderation, of course) is a whole lot better for you than the chemical concoction in diet soda.

I'll trust the research of this young doctor-to-be over all the hyperlinked opinions that tell me how safe Aspartame is for human consumption. My personal experience, and her research, prove otherwise.

Last edited:
I had some Jameson recently which was free and thought it was very good. But no one has mentioned that one. Thoughts/comments?

Back on topic.

Whiskeys on my shelf right now:
Laphroiag
Oban
Glenfiddich
Lagavulin
Macallan
Macallan 18 year old
Macallan cask strength
Talisker 30 year old
Johnny Walker Blue
Glenmorangie
Bruichladdich
Ardberg

And they're all good....

Last edited:
I enjoyed a bottle of Glenlivet 18 about a year ago, but I can't drop $109 on a bottle very often. I usually settle for a Canadian like Black Velvet...Windsor...even the cheap Canada House is not too bad.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: mcrn
http://www.newslinq.com/aspartame-danger/

Lol. My guess is there's a similar website out there for everything known to man that someone thinks will kill you. Short on facts and truth but wide on speculation.

I agree with there being a study out there for everything. However I will try to stick to drinking things that were natural. I am pretty sure that is generally safer.

Plus not drinking something created by a pharmaceutical company makes sense.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If your ancestors haven't been consuming it for a few hundred years its a BIG risk.

Just like ILSAC oil - bad for you engines health.

By your appeal to tradition, I should be drinking unfiltered water from my pond, but not taking a nitroimidazole to treat the ensuing Giardiasis.

Almost none of the food we eat would be recognizable by my colonial ancestors. That doesn't make it bad or risky. My lunch included broccoli, tossed with olive oil and balsamic, and roasted. They'd have no idea what that that is, but it's not a big risk because of that.

If your ancestors haven't been consuming it for a few hundred years its a BIG risk.

Just like ILSAC oil - bad for you engines health.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Should we go back to leaded gas and SA oils?

No, but how bout Real synthetic and SL or acea A3 with mb229 approvals.

Don't be silly!
smile.gif

No, but how bout Real synthetic and SL or acea A3 with mb229 approvals.

Don't be silly!
smile.gif

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 then? I agree it's a great oil. Carries all the specs you mentioned and then some.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I had some Jameson recently which was free and thought it was very good. But no one has mentioned that one. Thoughts/comments?

Jameson is excellent, it's my favourite Irish Whiskey.

From Scotland I like Bowmore and Lagavulin.

For Bourbon I like Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, and JD.

From Canada it's Crown Royal and Canadian Club 12 year old.

I'm sure there is plenty more out there that I would like, but I haven't been fortunate enough to try them yet.

I don't really consume Whisky or Bourbon or Scotch, but was invited over to a friend's near the end of a daylight gathering and given the option between 2 buck Chuck merlot, or a Single malt Scotch. IIrck it was Glenlivet.

Man, was that buttery smooth, and I killed the bottle, amazed that I liked it so much and nobody else wanted a part of it. Good thing there was not too much left. BUt still, memory of events Afterwards is sparce, yet I awoke with no hangover, only the possible regrets for my behavior, Which I was later told, was amusing, but not obnoxious, for which I am thankful.

BUt I have stuck to beer or redwine since, with few exceptions.

Standard Evan Williams is my go to. I drink it on the rocks or neat depending on my mood....occasionally mixed with coke. I only buy something fancier for very special occasions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Donald
Gave it up for the better. Diet Pepsi.

Aspartame will kill you....

Stick to whiskey...

I avoid Aspartame/nutra-sweet at all costs. Its in everything from chewable kids vitamins to most chewing gums.

Makers Mark Bourbon here.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I've never been a whiskey drinker, but the other week i was given a shot of Jameson as a part of a pickleback.

I thought the Jameson was very good, pickle juice not so much, couldn't get it 6 inches from my nose.

At home, I drink Old Grand Dad/Old Grand Dad Bonded/Old Grand Dad 114(still have a couple of bottles bunkered). I just drink it neat or rocks. In restaurants, Maker's Mark rocks. For special occasions, Booker's, but I have to be careful with that because it runs 125+ proof, depending on the batch, and it's easy to over-do it. On the beach I drink scotch and soda in a big Yeti tumbler, Johnnie Walker black generally.

I experiment with some other brands and really like some of Heaven Hill's products, but the ones listed above are my go-to products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back