Need input from everyone - Should I buy this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our area, reselling a car is very easy but you have to price it very competitively. High mileage vehicles are great for personal use and don't bring too much money in return from resale perspective.

I'd look on autotrader or CL or eBay to see how much are they going for in your area with 200K+ miles and get a baseline from it.

Good luck with anything you decide.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Nick won this at auction for $225 (plus auction fees). His Buick blows that Dodge pile of junk out of the water,and is ready to drive. Use this as a comparison. $225 for a perfectly running GM3800 vs $1650 for a Ghetto'd out Dodge with a blown engine. Buick wins hands down! That Dodge needs to go to the crusher.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4287430/1/Picked_up_a_beater_to_flip

It was not a deal for the eventual buyer. Far from it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Need4racin
I see bling wheels, doubt it was maintained.

That's THEE red flag right there! Probably why it has a blown engine. Bro bought rimz instead of oil changes haha

Those wheels!
crazy2.gif
37.gif

Put in a REALLY low bid. Just play the game for a while and keep your patience, you'll find the right one at the right time.

I'm holding out on buying another one for a while. A lot to deal with and a lot of risk involved. I lucked out a bit on the Buick.

A/C might not work, transmission might slip etc.

It'll probably go for more than that on the day of the auction. You can place in a Max bid for like $325. They have charts that show all the fees depending on the vehicle purchase price. My $225 bid that won the Buick ended up around $475 after fees.

Pretty soon you should be able to buy a rusted one of the same car up north, which you could drive down and do the heart transplant.

This would make more sense if that example had 130k though.

Kira, he didn't buy the car on eBay, he bought it from a national auction company called Copart, which primarily auctions wrecked and donated vehicles. Their fees are ridiculous.

Thanks for clearing that up. To beat the dead horse a bit...

a) Are Chargers so popular where you live that you think you COULD flip it?
b) The word-of-mouth regarding the bad 3.5l doubtless has gotten around and will work against a sale even if yours sounds good after a repair.
c) Have you any experience flipping cars? Simply registering and insuring a car so you can show it to people takes a bite out of the bottom line.
Trying to sell a car without plates is impossible.

The one thing I like about the car is that it's white. Just for giggles, try to locate and price a set of 4 stock wheels for it.

Best of luck

Here's a screenshot of the fees I had. It was actually $462. They don't accept cash so I took them a cashier's check. The price they displayed on their website was with the fee if you paid with Visa and that's what I paid them, they credited my account for the extra $13 or so.

w89r11.jpg

since the OP is asking advice, and intends to flip it, I'd say pass.

In running condition, for the mileage, you won't see that kind of money for it. It's 10+ years old - and will be a slippery slope. brakes, bearings, suspension, steering bits, vacuum hoses/pumps.... all of that.

If YOU like the car and YOU want to drive it, that's different (someone else mentioned that as well)... but if the goal is the buy fix and flip, consider that you'll get 3k for it and start there. How many hours of labor will it take to drop a 'yard motor in it?

-m

Well, I've been outbid on the Charger, and I don't plan on re-bidding. Thank you all for your input.

At this point, I've shifted my interest to a decent looking 2003 Cadillac SLS. I actually won the bid on it for $350 the other day, but the seller's reserve was $400 and he wouldn't accept my bid, even when I upped it to $375.

So now he's relisted it and I'm bidding on it again. As far as I can tell, it's in good working order and in good physical shape. Guess we'll see.

Be careful.

Clean-title, run & drive, privately owned vehicles without damage (normal wear/minor dents & scratches) end up there for a reason. That's not to say you can't find something good, but it takes a little due diligence and luck. If you live in Phoenix, and the vehicle is at a yard there, it'd behoove you to go inspect it before auction date so you have a better idea of what you're getting into.

Regardless, good luck!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Well, I've been outbid on the Charger, and I don't plan on re-bidding. Thank you all for your input.

So now he's relisted it and I'm bidding on it again. As far as I can tell, it's in good working order and in good physical shape. Guess we'll see.

Looks like the sale on the Charger fell through since the reserve wasn't met.

With the Caddy it appears to be a donated vehicle.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Looks like the sale on the Charger fell through since the reserve wasn't met.

Actually, it had a 'Buy-it-now' price of $1650, which I suspect someone did without really looking at the pics. There's nothing in the listing itself that says "Engine Knock" - Only the one picture shows it, backwards, in the driver window, in a poor-quality picture.. so I wouldn't be shocked if someone didn't look hard enough at the pictures and just thought "Sweet! A 2006 Charger for only $1650!"

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
With the Caddy it appears to be a donated vehicle.

Yep - that is it.. and the listing lists it as "Runs and drives" so I feel that bidding around $350 should be safe. I also looked up the vehicle history, and it has no wrecks, and it's passed emissions.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Be careful.

Clean-title, run & drive, privately owned vehicles without damage (normal wear/minor dents & scratches) end up there for a reason. That's not to say you can't find something good, but it takes a little due diligence and luck. If you live in Phoenix, and the vehicle is at a yard there, it'd behoove you to go inspect it before auction date so you have a better idea of what you're getting into.

Yep! My birthday is Sunday, so I'm taking Monday off at work.. part of Monday is going to be spent visiting the location that it's being stored and giving it a once-over. The keys are in it, so I should be able to start it and get an idea of it's true condition.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Regardless, good luck!
grin.gif

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back