Center Console for the Caprice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
The original was the police unit. It had an awkward arm rest and lock box.

I got this unit from Ebay and it mounts to the universal mounting plate found in Police cars.

I wrapped the mounting plate in vinyl.

Under 200 bucks in it. Took about 2 hours. I am happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
You sure have had to sink a lot of money into that car.

Have to? He wants to. Quit being [censored] obtuse.

Don't you have any other hobbies?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Have to? He wants to. Quit being [censored] obtuse.

Don't you have any other hobbies?

This is his hobby.

Ugh...

20,000 dollar purchase price for a 6.0/6L80E with 12,000 miles on it.
50 bucks for the spoiler
200 for the center console
50 bucks in paint and supplies to black the stuff out
400 bucks for a custom cat back...

Yep that 700 bucks really broke the bank.

I wanted to do that stuff.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
That looks rugged! I like the squared-off tranny tunnel look.

Good eye. It looks like it could be functional. You could probably set stuff on it without it sliding around like on a rounded tunnel.

Looks good! You never realize how much you miss a center console till you get a vehicle without one. I know when I first got my S10 it had a bench seat; I didn't know what to do with my arm.

All finished and I cleaned it this time.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Delta
Looks good! You never realize how much you miss a center console till you get a vehicle without one. I know when I first got my S10 it had a bench seat; I didn't know what to do with my arm.
Yup, my Jeep is a complete base model, had no center arm rest.

I got a center console out of the junk yard from a Cherokee and cut it to fit, much more comfortable.

The seats were really bad too, got some seats out of a Grand Cherokee. Much better with that too.

The police car is weird. Everything is correct for me to use the Chevy SS center console or something out of a Caprice(Middle East/Australia)/Buick park Avenue (China)/Daewoo Veritas. Yes Daewoo.
Problem is shipping is so much I am at like 800 bucks for a stock center console. My car is a 9C1 Police Pursuit Vehicle. The 9C3 detective version has the normal center console...Good look finding one.
The Buick would be the interior to get. Hand stitched and the seats are complete actual leather. Big Luxury car in China.
The G8 interior fits the 11 to 13 Caprice, my dash is the current style Chevy dash so it does not work.

Daewoo version

Holden version

Buick (would love this grill...what a sleeper.)

Really? What's wrong with buying a unique car because you like it and configuring it how you want?

Nice upgrade Mike. Very cool car.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Really? What's wrong with buying a unique car because you like it and configuring it how you want?

Pops got ridiculed back in the day for painting the spokes on the dray sheet iron roof red. That, coupled with the lead ingestion from the paint have lead to the incessant need to deride anything that he deems Colt's tooth.

Last edited:
LOL Im sure he'd have an aneurysm if he knew how much I've put into my $1500 CVPI. Probably at least what its worth and I just dropped another 8 slices of blue cheese on ALL the front suspension and brake parts.

I think that console looks great! With the addition of the Vinyl over the exposed metal, it almost looks factory. Maybe add something like felt between the vinyl and the metal so you cants see the ribs of where the mounting holes are.

I had a similar issue, but I didn't have the mounting points built in, just the grand canyon between the front seats. I have a Jeep center console that I drilled a bolted to some brackets which are bolted to the seat mounts.

I'd like to take your Caprice for a spin.

The ones I drive at work are law enforcement units, and they are absolutely loaded with so much gear, it takes a lot of the fun out of driving it.

That center console gets packed with a laptop dock, DVR system, camera wiring, gun rack, two radios, and more. There is literally one half inch between the FM radio console, and the VHF radio/laptop dock.

Plus the drivers seat can't go back very far because of the prisoner cage.

The officer usually has a gear bag on the front passenger seat packed to the brim, and rolling around on the front seat.

For police cars, the officers do not like these things, as they are too small. For a civilian car I bet they are fun and nice to drive around.

We moved to police ford "interceptors" which are explorers and those have much more room. The higher ranking officers get the chevy tahoe which is VERY nice.

It is a different animal without all the stuff in it. It is comfortable without all that stuff. Runs Mid 13's without all the weight.

The Aussie guys say it is like driving a G8 GT with a track pack.

I order some Chevy SS Springs for it. Drops it about 3/4 of an inch so it will sit normal. The springs in it are set up for a bunch weight that the car no longer or never had.

State Police out here has tons of them. Most them like it for road manners but they are just basically pulling folks over on the Highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back