2016 Passat TS1 Rline rental review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Thanks for the update. Do they make a V6 Malibu or is the 4 just that spunky? Malibu's all have GM's stop/start do they not?

Mine does not have stop/start. I think you could only get the 2.0 LTG in the 2103-2015 Malibu LTZ..

I am eyeing these Passats as a replacement for my TSX, need more room. I see 2016 Passat S models all the time priced as low as $15,000, is the VW diesel gate really lowering the values of these cars that much so soon? I wonder about reliability as well..

Well, I see a big recall over the camshaft lobe for these 2.0 TSI cars too, that doesn't help...

Last edited:
The current generation Passats have been quite reliable, at least according to Consumer Reports anyway. Besides, I drive an older Jeep. What on earth could VW possible do to me???
laugh.gif

my 52k mile 2013 passat s has been 100% trouble since i got it cpo in 6/14 with 9k miles. it has the older 2.5L engine, not the 1.8tsi, but all the other bits and pieces are largely the same. the passat is a smooth cruiser, with tons of room and 35/26mpg on regular gas. a $15k low mile cpo passat is a honking deal.

Originally Posted By: jstert
my 52k mile 2013 passat s has been 100% trouble

Surprisingly positive review for a car that is a complete POS.
smile.gif

The current generation Passats have been quite reliable, at least according to Consumer Reports anyway. Besides, I drive an older Jeep. What on earth could VW possible do to me???
laugh.gif

Even if you drove a NEW Jeep, the VW would still be the safer bet...

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
laugh.gif

Even if you drove a NEW Jeep, the VW would still be the safer bet...

Agreed, which is why I want one so bad! Just fits me to a tee.. for a car anyway ha ha.

The current gen Passat is "Americanized" compared to previous gens. That said, even the S trim comes with alot of features other brands make you buy an upper trim level. I was checking them out when I bought my GTI last week and they felt like a great car (didn't test drive, but checked them out thoroughly). They were selling the S models for around 17 and the Rline around 19. Quite a value.

Agreed again. That was my impression as well, a lot of features and value for surprisingly little money. More bang per buck than a lot of competitors which seems to be a pretty well kept secret I know I was certainly surprised.

That and one heck of solid feeling, quiet nice driving car. The Passat needs at least an option for AWD though.

I have seen them around in black and look particularly striking, like a poor mans A8. I will have to drive one soon and see for myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Welcome to the dark side.
thumbsup2.gif

x 2!

Now how did you get to rent an R-Line Passat? What rental company was this?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: Trav
Welcome to the dark side.
thumbsup2.gif

x 2!

Now how did you get to rent an R-Line Passat? What rental company was this?
laugh.gif

No worries about me getting a VW anytime soon.

I got it from Budget rent a car.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: jstert
my 52k mile 2013 passat s has been 100% trouble

Surprisingly positive review for a car that is a complete POS.
smile.gif

oops, i mistakenly dropped the crucial word "free." my 2013 passat has been 100% trouble free!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back