My new RAM Big Horn 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Confusing - you are in GM management and don't buy GM ? Is this some other GM ?

I own 7 GM vehicles. Wife has a Jeep and a CTS. While I am pretty Loyal to GM and have been my whole life....it still it MY money and I buy what I see fits best for me. 98% of the time a GM vehicle is the BEST for me, this time it MAY not be. I am open minded and unbiased. The GM trucks have it all over the Dodge in regards to powertrain, but for features and interior design (exterior is subjective) the RAM wins with me. My wife has a Grand Cherokee because GM does not make a comparable vehicle...meaning a midsize SUV without 3rd row seats and a REAL HONEST 4WD system. The Traverse, Acadia - non of them offer the off road capabilities and the level of luxury in her Overland beats them and for less money. Now if she needed a fullsize SUV or a car - no question it would be GM all the way.

Enjoy the new truck. Looks nice!

What I find fascinating is the different conclusions we all reach on what makes a nice truck. When I bought my new truck in June, I test drove the big 3 trucks, and frankly, I'm sure I would have been happy with any of them. The Ram ended up second on my list, but not by much. Ended up with an F150 with the 2.7, and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

These are generally good times to be a full size truck buyer!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

The GM trucks have it all over the Dodge in regards to powertrain,
have you driven something with that awful 6-speed trans in it? That thing is a disaster. Shift flare after shift flare, hunts for gears, downshifts so hard the a$$ end nearly comes around on wet pavement. Truly a debacle. The ZF 8-speed blows the doors off of it. If you mean power"plant" however, you may have a point.

That was also exhibit A in why the GM trucks placed where they did on my list too. It was like the transmission couldn't get out of its own way. It was like it was always unsure of whether it was in the right gear or not... There were plenty of things I found to like on the GM trucks, but that was the big downer...

I might be in the minority, but I think the 5.7 with the ZF 8spd unit is the better powertrain combo
21.gif
I've driven both.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple

The GM trucks have it all over the Dodge in regards to powertrain,
have you driven something with that awful 6-speed trans in it? That thing is a disaster. Shift flare after shift flare, hunts for gears, downshifts so hard the a$$ end nearly comes around on wet pavement. Truly a debacle. The ZF 8-speed blows the doors off of it. If you mean power"plant" however, you may have a point.

You are correct, I was referring to motors. Yes, I drive our GM vehicles every day and was involved in the transmission debacle. (Not my fault though lol) We had a very bad launch of the 6 speed trans. We went thru several calibration changes (software) as well as module changes. If you still have a bad shifting truck, there is a fix at the dealer. The 8 speed in our Jeep GC is like butter and NEVER seems to be in the wrong gear. It is nice.

Last edited:
If you still have a bad shifting truck, there is a fix at the dealer.
Uh, I am the guy who got rid of the Chevy and got the RAM the thread is all about...

Uh, I am the guy who got rid of the Chevy and got the RAM the thread is all about...

LOL!
grin.gif

Also, unless you are putting a huffer or some hair dryers on it, I don't see any real advantage that the GM engine might have over the HEMI other than maybe fewer spark plugs
21.gif
They've both proven to be extremely reliable, and the 5.7L makes 395HP/410lb-ft, which to outdo on the GM side, you have to get the 6.2L, and the difference at that point is far less than between the 5.3L and the 5.7L.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
The ZF 8 speed is pretty hard to beat in most any application...

Agreed, love it in my Ram and my brothers Charger with the pentastar/ZF is great to drive as well.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

LOL!
grin.gif

Also, unless you are putting a huffer or some hair dryers on it, I don't see any real advantage that the GM engine might have over the HEMI other than maybe fewer spark plugs
21.gif
They've both proven to be extremely reliable, and the 5.7L makes 395HP/410lb-ft, which to outdo on the GM side, you have to get the 6.2L, and the difference at that point is far less than between the 5.3L and the 5.7L.

I was about to say the same. The new gen Hemi is a well proven performer, and the ZF 8 speed slushbox has been around a long time in many brands.

I have GM and RAM in my driveway, like them both...

I'm a huge fan of the LS GM engine (even though I have the antiquated 4.3), so IMO Chrysler doesn't have anything over GM in the powertrain dept. Both are very good, though, but GM wins for me.

Last edited:
I might be in the minority, but I think the 5.7 with the ZF 8spd unit is the better powertrain combo
21.gif
I've driven both.
100% yes the drive train is really nice.There are lots of Rams running around here.

500 mile update:

Truck is getting smoother to drive each day. Trans seems to be learning my style and engine seems better too. I ended up buying some (open box return) nerf bars off ebay for a song and installed them on Thursday. This truck sits higher than the Chevy I had and the wife and daughters were wishing for something to help them get up in. $83 shipped and I'll be able to take em off and sell em when the lease ends. They match the rims and door handles. Took me and a buddy around 1 hour to install them.

One minor gripe so far. The seatbelt in the rear that is woven through my youngest daughter's car seat won't release after she uses it once and I have to remove it from its routing through the seat and retract it all the way before it'll release again. I may have to drop by the RAM dealer and see if there is a reason for that.

The heated steering wheel is the cat's pajamas! Wow is that thing fast and nice in these frigid MI mornings.

Good to hear the update.

And about the above smart remark - I did know that

Originally Posted By: CT8
21.gif
I've driven both.
100% yes the drive train is really nice.There are lots of Rams running around here.

I'm curious to drive a Ram with this transmission.... all I hear how great and smooth shifting it is.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why didn't you get the V-8 engine ?
no need. The Pentastar is a rocketship. I don't tow. I just use the box. I think there are far too many with the mindset that big trucks need a V8. New V6's with proper trans are far and away better than last gen V8's with 4spd overdrive transmissions.

UPDATE:
Someone hit me today while driving. Front end smashed up. Head light broken, grille, hood paint, bumper is mangled, parking sensors going haywire. Guy cut a corner too sharp making a left and drilled my driver front. He got the ticket. He was hauling a trailer of woodstove pellets and lost some all over the road when the front of his trailer snapped off at impact. He was in a 2013 Sierra. No injuries, thank goodness! Pics when photobucket cooperates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back