Virgin Motorcraft FL-820s C&P

Well, I finally broke down a bought a proper filter cutting tool.
I had a FL-820S I bought a few years ago, and after seeing all the issues with this filter, decided to not use it.
Since I had no used filters and was itching to use my new toy tool, it was a perfect candidate.

Filter:

Date code of March 13, 2015 I believe?:

Base plate, typical Purolator oval holes:

Inside of baseplate, rough edges around holes:

Silicone ADV, a little glue? on valve, as well as little slits in ADV @ the 11:00, 12:30, 2:30 and 4:00 position:

Better view of slits, do not go all the way through:

Inside can, spiral metal center tube with round holes, thread end bypass:

Seam looks good, wide pleat spacing:

Curved pleats, but intact:

Looks a little better:

Spring inside can:

This filter probably would have been fine to use on my truck, but who knows with how these filters have been.
It just seems to be hit and miss if they tear or not (the 820S seems to have the highest failure, at least posted here).
The media seems strong and glued well.

Here is the filter cutter I got. Glennco Filter Cutter. About $43 shipped on e-bay.
Ordered Wednesday evening, got it Friday afternoon.
Seems to work well, took maybe a minute to cut the filter open.
Much easier, faster, and cleaner than using my Dremel.
Can easily handle this size filter and larger (was only mid way on the slide part).
It also will do my smaller PH4386/Wix 57145 size filter (but just barely, I don't think I could do a smaller filter).

Decent tool, could be designed a little better (adjusting bolt just presses against the center post, should be threaded through it).
The slot could also be cut to do even smaller filters, but for my needs, it will work just fine.

I could just cry by you cutting that 820S apart, my 2006 Crown Vic ex police sedan could have used that item so bad. Now im just tired sneaking around the local oil change places trash bins trying find used filters that fit my car that staff hasn't crushed.

Was not there an older MC filter market campaign bragging about all the "benefits" and a spring filter was one of the items they hyped?
Maybe I missed the change, but when did they go to a leaf spring?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Was not there an older MC filter market campaign bragging about all the "benefits" and a spring filter was one of the items they hyped?

Not sure. I know I have seen where they talk about the benefit of a threaded end bypass vs dome end bypass.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
I could just cry by you cutting that 820S apart, my 2006 Crown Vic ex police sedan could have used that item so bad. Now im just tired sneaking around the local oil change places trash bins trying find used filters that fit my car that staff hasn't crushed.

You are kidding right ?

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Decent tool, could be designed a little better (adjusting bolt just presses against the center post, should be threaded through it). The slot could also be cut to do even smaller filters, but for my needs, it will work just fine.

Nice first Cut & Post. You could drill another hole closer to the end of the slot and move the cutting wheel over some to make it work for smaller filters. You'd just have to move the cutting wheel over when cutting smaller stuff.

I was never impressed with the 820S. Sure looks skimpier than the FL1A used for the older Fords.

Quote:
....Was not there an older MC filter market campaign bragging about all the "benefits" and a spring filter was one of the items they hyped?

Never seen an MC campaign touting the benefits of a coil compression spring, nor since I've been a bitog member have I seen an MC using a compression/retainer spring other than the leaf type seen here. As they've been made by Purolator dating back at least to the Ralph Knize Mini Mopar filter study, never seen Puro US use anything other than a leaf spring in any of their manufactured filters.

The MC's made for FoMoCo applications including the topic filter do use a thread end bypass which consists of coil spring as part of that design. However that is unrelated to filter compression spring type. So afaik, the answer to the question is no.

As for topic filter, not an especially inspiring virgin filter anecdote on the MC application that has seen some post use anecdotal issues. As for how it would have done in use, just be speculation on my part.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... You could drill another hole closer to the end of the slot and move the cutting wheel over some to make it work for smaller filters.

That is a good idea. I will keep that in mind. Not that I currently have any smaller filters, but may in the future.

OK, just bumping my own old thread to respond to this.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429

Do you seriously mean this? Do you go and grab used filters and use them again?
Using a new filter that may have an issue is one thing, but dumpster diving for used filters is another thing entirely.

Look at the 2 filters on the left, a STP S2 and PureOne PL24651, both of which fit the Crown Vic.
These were pulled out of the used filter drum at Advance Auto:

full-4879-6940-1_1.jpg

So you may think they look fine (exterior of the cans were dent free and relatively clean).

Cut them open and wow!
S2 is full of metal:
full-4879-6943-1_4.jpg

and sludge:
full-4879-6969-3_3.jpg

And here is inside the P1:
full-4879-6970-2.jpg

Nice cut and post.

FL-820S do have a propensity to tear at the wide pleat spaces.

Depending on how much dirt the filter would have to catch, this one might have torn. For a short OCI, it would likely be OK. Pure speculation on my part.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Nice report. Thanks for the C&P.

+1

Nice job once again on this cut and post. The C&Ps are greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

and sludge:
full-4879-6969-3_3.jpg

How did you form that rough ball?

From material scraped out of the pleats?

I’m about to post this . Went to Ford dealer to pick up a MAF sensor . I ask the part guy if he have MCFL820s in stock . He say it’s the most use filter around here right now .

imagine how many fl820s using a day in every state ...

I’m start to have fate again lol . Haven’t seen one cut open lately

Back