Reducing noise in a Nissan VQ35HR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good. It has a 51358 XP right now, and the 57356 is certainly a bit bigger. I might give that and the Motul 8100 a try.

I would definitely recommend either Redline 5W-30 or 5W-40.

In my Infiniti Q50 3.7 I was previously using Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 and the engine seemed to be getting somewhat noisier and less-refined as time went on. As soon as I switched to Redline 5W-30 the motor was noticeably smoother & quieter.

With the warmer weather coming up I'm now using Redline 5W-40 with a dose of Liqui Moly MOS2 (to add the moly that was lost from switching to their 5W-40 which has very little moly in it) and my VQ37 seems to be running even better now.

I can offer my anecdotal experience with the VQ35 in my wife's 2007 Infiniti M35, purchased new. Through 93K miles it had 18 oil changes; all but one were done by me and all were with 5w-30.

Ten of first 11 OC's with Kendall GT-1 and Nissan factory filter. No problems, engine smooth and quiet.

One dealer OC at 36K miles with Mobil 5000 dino. Nothing unusual of note.

#12 was with QSUD. I noticed the expected increase in valvetrain noise and first ever oil consumption: half quart in 5K miles.

#13-18 have been with my blend of 40% QSUD and 60% QSGB. Engine seems to like it. Smooth and quiet with no consumption. I stick with 4500 to 5000 mile intervals (mostly highway).

If your car had a steady diet of Mobil Special 5w-30 for 100K miles and you switched to PP 5w-30, you likely experienced what I did when I switched to all QSUD for the one OC. Some people, and I am one, believe the older VQ35's do well on conventional oil or a solid blend. Just food for thought.

^ Thanks for the info. I can get Quaker State locally, but not Redline or Kendall. I assume QSGB is the green bottle of conventional, right?

I have read that Motorcraft 5w30 blend is similar to Kendall (is that the case?), and I can get that locally.

I was surprised that PUP was noisier than M1 - but I think it was just a frequency under my metal shop overhang ...
When I pull alongside a brick wall it is fine - getting close to two oil changes (new type) and will mess with DB meter for grins ...

Originally Posted By: Headgasket
^ Thanks for the info. I can get Quaker State locally, but not Redline or Kendall. I assume QSGB is the green bottle of conventional, right?

I have read that Motorcraft 5w30 blend is similar to Kendall (is that the case?), and I can get that locally.

Since you've used Pennzoil Platinum, it may be worth trying either the Pennzoil syn blend or make your own by cutting the PP with Pennzoil conventional.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

Since you've used Pennzoil Platinum, it may be worth trying either the Pennzoil syn blend or make your own by cutting the PP with Pennzoil conventional.

I had half of a 5qt PP 5w30 sitting in the garage, so I bought a couple of quarts of conventional Pennzoil 5w30. I drained out the Castrol and put in the Pennzoil mix, but didn't change the filter. I ordered an oversized Wix for the next change though. Surprisingly (or not), it's a fair bit quieter. It still makes the usual old VQ noises, but not the ever-present ticking that it was doing with the Castrol. Thanks for the recommendation.

2eluyad.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back