What House DIY maintenance you do yearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am grateful for this forum and because of it, I was able to change the anode rod and was able to fix a few things around the house.

Now I am trying to make a list for preventative maintenance things, like cleaning coils for fridge, AC etc.... I do have a very detailed and a long one, got from internet but a trimmed one from other people and their experience would be great.

So what do you guys suggest? What are other preventative maintenance items you guys do around the house? Thanks for all the help
thumbsup2.gif

I clean my a/c coils every couple of years with simple green, and then lightly hose/rinse from the inside out. My 1994 Trane XL--- has never required service in all these years. Youtube has a lot of helpful videos on different things maintenance wise, a homeowner can do. I cleaned my gas furnace flame sensor last fall per a youtube video, [it had been cycling intermittently the first couple of times I used it] and it has ran beautifully all winter.

I get up on my roof and inspect for damaged or missing shingles (usually wind damage, but once I found a .32 caliber bullet embedded in one of my shingles). While I'm up there I'll use a chimney brush and clean out the flue for my fireplace.

I've also started getting my septic tank pumped annually instead of every couple of years just 'cause it's cheap and it allows the septic guys to inspect it with their little snake camera. Of course, if you are on a city sewer system, this isn't necessary.

Since I have my own private well instead of city water, I'm looking into having my water tested annually for various bacteria, heavy metals and hydrocarbons. I think annually for this is overkill, but it's cheap peace of mind.

If you have an attic and/or crawlspace, it's a good idea to poke your head up or down there and check those out, just mainly looking for anything unusual or out of place. If you have a sump pump in a crawlspace, it's a good time to test it to make sure it works as it should (float moves freely and actually pumps water as it should when the float raises). Also make sure any vapor barrier that may exist is still in good shape.

I usually replace the water filter in my fridge that has a water/ice dispenser. If I had a whole house water filter, I'd look at replacing that filter annually as well.

For my boiler, I'll use an old toothbrush and clean any debris off the burner tubes, and vacuum out everything real good. I know that some will also replace the thermocouple annually, but I just keep a spare on hand (for both the boiler and water heater).

One really important thing that everyone seems to forget is to replace the batteries in smoke and CO detectors.

I'm sure there's a ton of things I'm forgetting, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Pest control is so important. Either pay a reputable company to treat for termite prevention , or do it yourself. Spray spring and fall for spiders as well.

I use Termidor, and i use Demon WP for spiders. You can't buy them at your local store. Search online.

I started servicing our oil fired heater last year; replace the oil & air filter, change the nozzle, clean and check the set of the electrodes. I found it rewarding to accomplish that.

Cleaning drains (several times a year)of hair build-up and whatnot. It's nice to have the drains run freely.

Clean the dishwasher. I'm always checking the jets for clogs. But once in a while I'll give it a through cleaning by removing the lower arm, removing the filter cover (3 screws), cleaning the filter and some other stuff that back flushes the filter. It's surprising the amount of gunk that builds up down there, and we usually per-rinse the dishes. Keeps it running like new.

Clean the computers. Open the cases and give them a good blow out with a can of air duster.

Patch cracks in asphalt driveway, fill cracks or blisters in concrete foundation or chimney cap, remortar patio cinder block foundation or front steps, repoint chimney mortar. Every year I also patch portions of a rock retaining wall with a mix of sand, mortar, and portland cement. Usually there's something to do with mortar/concrete every year. If you're just a little bit late getting to these, the problems can become a lot worse. Next concrete project is to resurface some of the garage floor where winter salt chewed into it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I am finding it is easier to just buy a new home every 15 years or so.

Wish, I can do that too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I clean my a/c coils every couple of years with simple green, and then lightly hose/rinse from the inside out. My 1994 Trane XL--- has never required service in all these years. Youtube has a lot of helpful videos on different things maintenance wise, a homeowner can do. I cleaned my gas furnace flame sensor last fall per a youtube video, [it had been cycling intermittently the first couple of times I used it] and it has ran beautifully all winter.

Do you have a link for the simple green which you have used and links for youtube? I am definitely planning to clean the coils this year. It's been almost 5 years and need to do it!

Thanks for the help
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
clean out the dryer duct pipe, if it's a gas dryer also clean out burner housing inside the machine.

Very helpful tip, thanks for it.

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
I get up on my roof and inspect for damaged or missing shingles (usually wind damage, but once I found a .32 caliber bullet embedded in one of my shingles). While I'm up there I'll use a chimney brush and clean out the flue for my fireplace.

I've also started getting my septic tank pumped annually instead of every couple of years just 'cause it's cheap and it allows the septic guys to inspect it with their little snake camera. Of course, if you are on a city sewer system, this isn't necessary.

Since I have my own private well instead of city water, I'm looking into having my water tested annually for various bacteria, heavy metals and hydrocarbons. I think annually for this is overkill, but it's cheap peace of mind.

If you have an attic and/or crawlspace, it's a good idea to poke your head up or down there and check those out, just mainly looking for anything unusual or out of place. If you have a sump pump in a crawlspace, it's a good time to test it to make sure it works as it should (float moves freely and actually pumps water as it should when the float raises). Also make sure any vapor barrier that may exist is still in good shape.

I usually replace the water filter in my fridge that has a water/ice dispenser. If I had a whole house water filter, I'd look at replacing that filter annually as well.

For my boiler, I'll use an old toothbrush and clean any debris off the burner tubes, and vacuum out everything real good. I know that some will also replace the thermocouple annually, but I just keep a spare on hand (for both the boiler and water heater).

One really important thing that everyone seems to forget is to replace the batteries in smoke and CO detectors.

I'm sure there's a ton of things I'm forgetting, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks so much for sharing a detailed list. It gives me a good idea about a few things. Attic is one of the thing, am planning to do this year too!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Pest control is so important. Either pay a reputable company to treat for termite prevention , or do it yourself. Spray spring and fall for spiders as well.

I use Termidor, and i use Demon WP for spiders. You can't buy them at your local store. Search online.

Thanks, how much does it cost of these pesticides?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: spasm3

Thanks, how much does it cost of these pesticides?

$8.81
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/demon-wp-insecticide-p-74.html

Same ingredient as termidor 9.1% fipronil. 43.50 a bottle. You may need several to trench and treat as a preventative.
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/taurus-sc-termiticide-p-1816.html

Or the name brand Termidor for $69 a bottle , above is less and the same ingredient.
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/termidor-sc-p-184.html

Last edited:
i pressure wash my house, inspect paint for cracks, check windows and caulking around the house. check crawl space for falling insulation, spray bug killer around the house.
pull oven clean behind it, same with fridge. buy new smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors as well. run my furnace (we don't use it we burn wood).
i've never in 38 years had my septic pumped, if it's working correctly you don't need to have it pumped, we do a rid-X like product once a month.
i also check the water level of the well, we are down 265, and get water at 193. i check the pressure on the pressure tank,

The perks of renting from an awesome landlord. I do the yard (well my neighbor does) and i change the air filter, aswell as pressure wash every few months. Rest it on him (mainly the pest control, brown recluse are bad here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back