Castrol Edge Gold 5w30 A3/B4 - any info on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advance Auto carries it. Made in Austria. And it's also available in 5qt jugs as well as the single qt bottles.
Part numbers:
06037, single quart bottle
03037, 5qt jug

Seems like a decent substitute for the outgoing Edge 0w30 A3/B4 (GC/BC) that Castrol will supposedly no longer be selling in the US (luckily, I bought two of the 0w30 oil change specials from Pep Boys' founders day sale). It seems to meet the same standards that the 0w30 met. A3/B4, LL-01, 502/505, SL, etc.

I hope Walmart will carry it (they sell PP Euro L 5w30 now)

Has anyone used this yet? The only issue I ca see right now is that it's a few dollars more than the GC/BC, since it's a gold bottle rather than black.

6199PWLB2sL._SL1000_.jpg

71a01QOVynL._SL1000_.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How much is it at AAP? Amazon sells it for $40 a jug, which ain't cheap.

AAP has it the same price as any other Edge Gold

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Any reason to use this over Edge 0w40?

Might be slightly more shear stable due to lower viscosity spread, but it's not like Edge 0w-40 suffers from stability issues.

This is the edge we also have in Australia. It's only SL due to exceeding zddp levels. So it's basically good [censored].

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Any reason to use this over Edge 0w40?

I don't think so, unless one is an absolute viscosity stickler and their Euro vehicle recommends a 5w-30. It doesn't look to be primarily PAO, which doesn't compare well to the 0w-40, then. And, one quart bottles don't exactly help pricing.

Originally Posted By: Garak
And, one quart bottles don't exactly help pricing.

It comes in 5qt jugs, as indicated by the image in OP.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
They can sell SL oil in US?

Why, is there some law against it? LoL

Obviously not if they can, I was thinking CAFe required SN

Appears to be HC based instead of PAO based like 0W-30 and 0W-40. Assuming additives held equal, I think the 0W-40 and 0W-30 (harder to find cheap) are a better value.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Obviously not if they can, I was thinking CAFe required SN

CAFE does not dictate engine oil standards.

It comes in 5qt jugs, as indicated by the image in OP.
smile.gif

I didn't read carefully. I saw the 946 mL printed on the bottle, and that was it. I wonder if we'll get that size up here. Wakefield does market aggressively, but they have a pile of products available on the shelves already, including ND 30 and, at least fairly recently, a 20w-20.

Shell and Castrol both need to hold a rummage sale with some of their product lines and viscosity offerings. Mobil has a pretty tight ship up here, although they're beginning to take on a bit more weight over the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back