2011 LML Duramax 91,000 miles, 8500 OCI Delo 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I purchased this 2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LML Duramax 4 months ago in hopes of driving this truck until the wheels fall off. The truck is my DD and and has all emissions equipment entact. The truck is tuned and I have added a "nictane" fuel filter adapter which allows for a better selection of fuel filters. The tuner was added five months ago and I have been primarily running the "sport/economy" tune (110hp). If funds allow, I will analyze the oil every OCI from here on out. I am posting here in hopes of extending the oil as far as possible as I know these Duramax engines can be easy on oil. Despite the tuner, I drive the truck modestly. Most of this OCI was spend on the interstate at 65+ mph. Any recommendations for oil are welcome.

91,036 on engine
Approximately 8500 miles on oil (Chevron Delo 15w40)
Mobil 1 303 filter
This oil is still in the truck. Shooting for 12,000 miles

Last edited:
I should have mentioned, I changed the oil filter and collected a sample as the excess drained out from the housing.

Originally Posted By: Too3zln
I should have mentioned, I changed the oil filter and collected a sample as the excess drained out from the housing.

I see. Yeah mine doesn't even drip on my cummins. I used to be paranoid putting a plastic bag over it and everything, now I just bring it down then put it in a bag and scoot my way out from underneath the truck.

Are you saying that the 250 ppm of boron in my sample is not enough and I need to supplement?!?

I take the opposite stand of the advertisement hiding as a post from WSinla. Unless you are addressing a specific problem, like stiction in the PowerStroke family, a well formulated diesel oil needs nothing. ( And I'm not convinced that ArchRevNanoWhatever is the cure all for stiction in PSD either.) The Delo you have chosen is one of those oils. Your wear looks good, and I can appreciate your wringing every mile out of the brew.
But with oil as cheap as it is, you could go 7500 and change with nearly any lube, get the engine to last longer than the rest of the truck, and save on UOA's. I only mention it because of your statement, "if funds allow".
2 gallons of Rural King oil is on sale for 11.99. Delo 15w30 is on closeout at O'Reilley for 3.07 a gallon. Valvoline goes on sale in the spring at Menards for about 10.00 a gallon. All will run 7500 easy in your DMax.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I see. Yeah mine doesn't even drip on my cummins. I used to be paranoid putting a plastic bag over it and everything, now I just bring it down then put it in a bag and scoot my way out from underneath the truck.

Go in through the wheelwell if you have the clearance. Much, much easier.

This looks like a darn good UOA to me.

I figured someone would take care of that! Any advise on how far you would push this oil dnewton?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Go in through the wheelwell if you have the clearance. Much, much easier.

This looks like a darn good UOA to me.

Unfortunately it is not accessible through the wheel well.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I take the opposite stand of the advertisement hiding as a post from WSinla. Unless you are addressing a specific problem, like stiction in the PowerStroke family, a well formulated diesel oil needs nothing. ( And I'm not convinced that ArchRevNanoWhatever is the cure all for stiction in PSD either.) The Delo you have chosen is one of those oils. Your wear looks good, and I can appreciate your wringing every mile out of the brew.
But with oil as cheap as it is, you could go 7500 and change with nearly any lube, get the engine to last longer than the rest of the truck, and save on UOA's. I only mention it because of your statement, "if funds allow".
2 gallons of Rural King oil is on sale for 11.99. Delo 15w30 is on closeout at O'Reilley for 3.07 a gallon. Valvoline goes on sale in the spring at Menards for about 10.00 a gallon. All will run 7500 easy in your DMax.

I agree with you on the additive. It is hard to believe he/she would have suggested an additive with the wear numbers on this UOA. Thanks for the reply.

My last analysis on my 2005 LLY was at the 12,000 mile mark with at least 4000 miles towing my 10k trailer. Mobil 5W40 Turbo diesel truck oil with an M1-303
The oil was still well within serviceable range but I changed it at the time I drew the sample. The only reason I run the synthetic is because I got it for the same price as Delvac 1300 because it was mismarked.

Yep - Delvac 1300 has a lower NOACK than the pride and joy T6 ... and HTHS north of 4 ...

UOA shows 12k miles is probably a place to start UOAs, not OCI. Unless you suspect serious contamination intrusion (coolant, fuel, silica), then a Dmax UOA is essentially worthless unless you GREATLY extend your OCIs. If this is your true goal, and you can resist the call of the wrench, then I applaud your efforts.

I can assure you with total certainty (as an owner of such vehicle and with a TON of UOA data for these trucks), just run it and don't worry about the engine.
You are FAR more likely to suffer maladies from the rest of the truck, mostly resulting of corrosion due to poor protective coatings and cheap electronics that GM used.
You'll have the best running engine/tranny that is in the junkyard when the truck is scrapped.

Last edited:
I did my UOA mostly because it was the 2nd change after the headgasket repair and a new water pump was installed during this service cycle, add in the high percentage of towing heavy and I figured the $15 was well spent. I usually follow the OLM which runs about 10k but this fill was synthetic so I ran it a little longer. I buy the Delvac 1300 on sale and my filters also which usually nets me around $30 for an oil change, under most circumstances it doesn't even warrant the $$ for an analysis, I just change it when the truck tells me to.

Thanks for the replies. I have been following since 2003 and appreciate the input. I will retest the current fill around 13000 miles and push the limit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back