Swirl marks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone its been a while for me to be here but i just bought a brand new Buick Verono two weeks ago and last week i had a road trip for a few days to New York city as my fiance always wanted to go there and thought this is nice for valentines for her..we both enjoyed New York city...got the car home and the Buick was a dirty mess and i took it to a automatic car wash for a good wash..the car is black and the car wash staff was wiping down the car dry and i noticed swirl marks on the hood,roof and trunk and i used meguires cleaner wax 6 and still have the swirls..do you think i should use scratch remover lightly on the black paint or is there a better product to remove them...its my first brand new car and my baby so im worried about using the wrong stuff..any ideas

The auto car wash with brushes or cloth causes the marks. Same with drying towels that are not fresh clean microfiber material of high quality. I doubt a car wash uses these.

You have two choices.....either hide the swirls with a glaze (Poorboy's Black Hole for instance) or remove them with a machine polish and the correct pads & chemicals. If you run it through more car washes expect the same results.
You can buy all the necessary items and learn to do this yourself or pay a detailer. The Poorboy's mentioned can be done by hand.

Black is not a color, it's a full time job when it comes to cars.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF

There's a lot of truth to that...no color looks better when all shined up, but no color takes more work to keep looking good. It's the trophy wife of automotive colors

Agreed.

I'll never purchase another one, esp if it's a dd.

There's a reason why so many people get a "good deal" on these vehicle, because nobody wants it!

On my black car im triple careful, and fully wash out the sponge after each panel. I also only wash the upper 3/4 of the car with one sponge, and use a diffeeent sponge for the lower 1/4, which tends to be dirtier and grittier.

RTexasF i do have a machine and i will try that. Makes sense and will give it a try.Its not a big deal.I chose black from the other colors as i dont mind because i love washing and waxing and take pride in all my vehicles.Thank you for the tip

You can get some Duragloss Swirl Mark Remover which does a pretty good job. You just have to work it in pretty good when applying by hand. The nice part is it contains a sealant(protection). So after you apply and buff off you can stop there. I read an article recently that said if you take your car to a car wash skip the hand drying part since that where most of the swirls occur. The above product is available on www.duragloss.com or amazon, etc...

get a DA polisher, compound (not the old kind) polish, then wax....so youll need the corresponding pads too. i used meguiar's ultimate compound, polish, and wax on a badly neglected f150 and it cleaned up nice....removed every scratch except a couple that had penetrated the paint. a DA wont burn at all but if youre uncomfortable with it, dont be, look on autogeek--they have lotsa videos---so does chemical guys websites....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
On my black car im triple careful, and fully wash out the sponge after each panel. I also only wash the upper 3/4 of the car with one sponge, and use a diffeeent sponge for the lower 1/4, which tends to be dirtier and grittier.

The only sponges that are safe for car washing are sea sponges (thoroughly rinsed clean of sand) and grout sponges.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The only sponges that are safe for car washing are sea sponges (thoroughly rinsed clean of sand) and grout sponges.

Hi there Rick! Welcome back, you must have been busy moving. I remember being in Tarpon Springs, FL and seeing them harvesting sea sponges. So made in the USA.

http://www.gulfcoastsponge.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back