Stoner Invisible Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned about Sprayway from RtexasF on here and the Accord forum. He's a former professional detailer and knows his stuff. I get it at Home Depot for $2.50 or so.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
I used it... don't remember if it was any better than say Sprayway. Certainly better than old school Windex.

I thought Sprayway was good, until I used IG. I find the latter better at resisting streaking. On a more trivial level, IG may have more of a chemical scent, but it dissipates more quickly than the perfumy scent of Sprayway, which subjectively can also be dislikeable.

Both are miles ahead of the typical blue cleaners in terms of actual function.

Home Despot is the cheapest place for both.

Just used Stoner on one side and Armor All Auto Glass on the other - similar results ...

All this love for this product. My experience is very different.It streaks badly. Clean multiple times and the streaks are still there. I use crumpled newspaper to clean with. Tried micro fiber, too. Must be doing something wrong...

I've always had good luck with it. Whatever I use, I go over it a second time with a dry, clean cloth, microfiber or otherwise, just to make sure any streaks disappear. Streaking tends to happen when one uses too much product, and that can be pretty easy to do.

Originally Posted By: willbur
All this love for this product. My experience is very different.It streaks badly. Clean multiple times and the streaks are still there. I use crumpled newspaper to clean with. Tried micro fiber, too. Must be doing something wrong...

I had a similar experience on one car. The residue was just too thick on the glass. I ended up using water and a magic eraser on it twice and drying with a microfiber. Made it crystal clear.

The best glass cleaner I have ever used is OEM from Nissan.

I don't know what is actually in that aerosol can, but it foams great and dries clear every time. Even takes off window sticker residue no problem.

I still use it and I haven't worked for Nissan in nearly 5 years.

DIY streak free, fast drying. 40% rubbing alcohol, 60% water, few drops of dish detergent in spray bottle. I don't like vinegar formulas or paying for Stoners which is the same thing. Cleans inside window crud too. I have suction cup radar detector and dash-cam that never come loose.

Originally Posted By: willbur
Thanks for the tip Garak.

No problem. I always buff a second time, no matter what I use, since there's a very good chance I'm going to overdo it, particularly if I'm doing a very dirty windshield. It's easy to dose lightly when doing a light haze, but if you've got bugs, or a lot of road film, or actual dirt, it's far too tempting to bathe the glass in the stuff.

So, I don't bother resisting the temptation and just go over it again. By the way, as a buffing cloth, some of those microfiber cloths that are advertised for glass specifically seem to work really well.

For those who have stuff that's really, really difficult to get off, like Rain-X or whatever other messes one can imagine, the Rain-X X-Treme Clean does a pretty amazing job. It's a little messy to use, but if you have something problematic on the glass, it's worth a shot. It's not something you'd want to add to a daily glass cleaning regimen, though, unless that regimen included cleaning a few million bugs of a windshield daily or something like that.
wink.gif

I use vinegar and water but no matter what you use newspaper instead of paper towels or microfiber, it really cleans the glass better than any of them and is lint free

I stick to microfiber these days, just out of availability. When I was in university driving the cab, it was newspaper each day. Read the paper, then clean the glass. It worked exceedingly well. A daily newspaper is very uncommon for me, and I told the postal people to stick their junk mail elsewhere.

I rarely use glass cleaners, it's CarPro Fast Glass (water only) followed up by a quick wipe w/ Griots PFM glass towel. And Zep 40 Non-Streaking Cleaner if I need something a little stronger than plain water. Doing glass every day ya got to be efficient.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I stick to microfiber these days, just out of availability. When I was in university driving the cab, it was newspaper each day. Read the paper, then clean the glass. It worked exceedingly well. A daily newspaper is very uncommon for me, and I told the postal people to stick their junk mail elsewhere.

Breakfast, coffee and newspaper are my favorite things in the AM, old habit from days before the internet and TV news at 6 AM. Anyway, never a streak with vinegar and water with the newspaper and surprisingly no smell.

Stoner's & Sprayaway are my go to cleaners along with some good microfiber. Liberal amount, mf dry, repeat.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Breakfast, coffee and newspaper are my favorite things in the AM, old habit from days before the internet and TV news at 6 AM. Anyway, never a streak with vinegar and water with the newspaper and surprisingly no smell.

The local paper these days is probably better on the glass than it is on the eyes and the mind.
wink.gif

i used to use stoner but i really like sprayway in the cleaning aisle of walmart. its very good, no ammonia, and cheap

I use it on everything, car windows, mirrors, house windows inside and out. Also great to use to clean a dirty glass stovetop. Used it on my car windows during a garage sale and got many people asking me what I was using..my go to for glass.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Garak

I agree with the effectiveness of vinegar but it does smell vinegar like!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back