Wrong Oil in Crankcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the proud owner of a 2017 Subaru Forester 2.5i MT(non Turbo). I started the 1st oil change at 4975 miles. The plan is to do all PM myself, with a new Subie 23psi filter and PUP 0w-20 every 5k. The filter is a top mount, so I changed that first, but I was unable to get the #&$%# oil pan drain plug to release. I was torquing on that plug so hard that the jack stands started to tip! Since I pre-filled the filter, I waited until the next day and drove over to an oil change place run by the local GM dealer on my lunch break. I told them 0w-20 syn, leave the new filter alone and install my shiny new Fumoto 108 valve. It took a very long time, and they had to destroy the drain plug to remove it. It was full of paint, as it seems Subaru paints both sides of the the pan AFTER the plug is installed. Anyhow, the price was way too cheap, and it turns out they filled the car with Delco 0w-20 semi-syn!!
I had to get back to work and couldn't wait for them to change the oil again, so they did not charge me. So, now I have the little devil on one shoulder telling me to run it 3k miles and change, and the angel on the other shoulder telling me to dump the oil this weekend for the full syn PUP. Sitting on the fence. Thoughts? I drive 90% highway, 3k miles a month, so it won't be in there long either way.

Last edited:
I don't see the problem here. With hwy driving, you can comfortably run that semi-syn out to 5K+ miles.

Unless the manual explicitly states 0W20 synthetic, you'll be fine.

PUP 0w-20 every 5k is seriously overkill. Why drain it so soon?

Originally Posted By: mclasser
you can comfortably run that semi-syn out to 5K+ miles.

Agreed.

Why didn't you bring the PUP with you?

Regardless, run what is in there to 5,000 miles. You will be fine.
It is a Dexos oil so can easily handle 5,000 highway miles. I believe it is a Mobil made product from what I remember.

Wrong oil how? "Synthetic" is not a spec. BTW the PU was no prize performer in the forester when I ran it. Very High consumption. In fact, the "garbage" PEAK bulk 0W-20 the Subaru dealer uses seem to run better than M1-EP or PU.

Valvoline SYNPOWER 0w20 is what you want in there. Tried every thing popular, that worked best.

Last edited:
The oil that is in the meets the specs.... I would leave it in and change at 5000. Our, of its gonna bother you, change it at 3000

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
The oil that is in the meets the specs.... I would leave it in and change at 5000. Our, of its gonna bother you, change it at 3000

+1 - I'd leave it for the 5k , but ultimately , do what ever is going to let you sleep at night.

True enough, I meant "semi-syn" is not spec'd by Subaru in the owners manual. I was leaning towards leaving it in there. Thanks for the recommendation of the Valvoline SYNPOWER, did you run UOAs to determine the results or is there something else that won you over? I see in your sig that you run Peak in your Subaru, is this a rebadged SYNPOWER product? I an not questioning you, just trying to learn.

That would be a "Duh" I certainly should have taken it with me. Good to know that the oil is good quality. I am going to leave it in for a while.

As you know from the Subaru manual, it calls for 6,000 mile oil changes. If you want to stick to 5,000 mile changes, what could they say if you had a warranty claim on the engine? You changed the oil too often? And you'll only be paying for one more OC every 30,000 miles. Don't worry about the GM 0w-20 blend.

My bigger question: on a new car, why didn't you take it to the Subaru dealer, complain about the frozen drain plug and make them fix it under warranty?

Every subaru drain plug is painted on.. what did they do use an impact on it.. the newer ones are 17mm and not the bad 14mm pot metal junk the 2011 had.
25" breaker bar would make quick work of it.

the manual specifies 0w20 syn only.
with service intervals of 6000
or 3000miles severe service

It also drains out black and nasty at 4000miles.
Color isnt everything but my focus looked better at 9000miles than the subaru oil does at 3000miles (m1 ep,PP,RP whatever)

Paint can make a good Locktight. What are those Subaru enginers thinking? Are drain plugs disappearing before delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back