Neighbors garbage cans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our garbage gets picked up on Friday at like 7-8am.
Most garbage cans at not even close to being full. Just a single bag or 2 each week.
Would you be mad if someone put a few scraps of wood or a couple small bricks in one of your garbage cans the night before it gets picked up?
They aren't throwing in on the ground behind your garage.
They arent putting dog poop in your can.
Their can is just full so they put a few things in other cans the night before pickup.
Have you "never" put something in someone else's can? Fast food bag, coffee cup, etc?
?

As long as those items are allowed to be taken by the garbage company or they're not being charged by weight, I don't see why not.

It's presumptuous- you're using another's stuff" without asking. That's annoying, at best, and perhaps illegal (what next, using their yard? Because they have "extra capacity" that they're not using? Perhaps using their sewer drain? Water? Utilities?).

Knock on their door, and ask, and I'm certain they'll be fine with it (I would be). And if not - you'll avoid the start of conflict with your neighbors.

As long as they are keeping it neat, not damaging anything, or not putting anything "questionable" in there I don't think I would have an issue with it.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
As long as those items are allowed to be taken by the garbage company or they're not being charged by weight, I don't see why not.

Ask.

Don't just "use" without permission.

Hmm, I could see it either way.

It's trash, so as long as it's legit trash then why would it bother me? OTOH, what's to stop you from putting illicit trash into my trash, stuff that could get me in trouble if found?

Probably best to ask permission first. After all, the trashcan is on their property, and until the trashman empties it, it's still technically theirs (not yours), contents and all. I realize there has been rulings to the contrary but I'm not sure I'd want to test that.

It could depend on who actually owns the can as to whether they become annoyed or not. In my neighborhood, the city/county "owns" the cans (they are provided free of charge) and I would think that scenario would be less of an issue versus the neighbor buying/owning the can. In any event, it is polite to ask first.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Most garbage cans at not even close to being full. Just a single bag or 2 each week.
Would you be mad if someone put a few scraps of wood or a couple small bricks in one of your garbage cans the night before it gets picked up?
Their can is just full so they put a few things in other cans the night before pickup.
Have you "never" put something in someone else's can? Fast food bag, coffee cup, etc?
?

What sort of low life would put their trash in someone else's trash can?

I have several neighbors that are once and awhile weekenders. I have a few times put stuff in their container. They stay out at the road all the time. Most weeks they are empty. Where I live its hard to get rid of stuff.

As others have stated, I'd only be okay with this if I had been asked for permission beforehand.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
?

What sort of low life would put their trash in someone else's trash can?

I take it that you've never walked the dog and had droppings that you needed to carry down the street with you, until you gotten home? Nor thought to pick up some trash while out for a walk? Why carry all the way if you could toss into a conveniently located trashcan?

boc-alleys-900.jpg

This is a typical Chicago alley. The garbage cans never move from these positions. They don't have to be moved by the homeowner. Residents do not pay taxes based on their use or non use of the cans. It is lumped into property tax bill. Not paid per bag picked up like rural pickups.

If you're on good terms with these neighbors, ask them to ask you first. If that's not the case, I'd dump their khrap right back on their property.

I'd leave other people's stuff alone unless I asked permission first.
I would think that bricks in a garbage can would be a problem, anyway...

I grew up near Chicago with an alley and I know that we used to fish through neighbors' garbage looking for bottles we could return for the deposit...guess I would not be upset with 8 year old kids messing with my garbage as long as they did not scatter it, anybody else and I would be ticked. When I lived in Elgin, we put our stuff out by the street and people would sometimes drive by on trash day looking for usable items...never saw anybody open one of my cans, but I did see a neighbor lose a lawnmower because he left it too close to the street on trash day while he went inside for a drink. Car came by and somebody threw the mower in the trunk, I rushed out to stop them but had to climb down a ladder while they were going the other way and left faster than I could chase on foot. Couldn't even get the plate...I honestly think the takers thought it was being left out as trash and did not mean to steal it.

Last edited:
I would not care at all. I would rather it be in my trash can than on the street or yard.
Now if they are filling up your can to overflowing, then yes, they should just use their own.
If they are charged by weight, then no (unless just small, nearly weightless trash).
Now when I go walking and find trash, I will put it in somebody elses can, but it is very small stuff, nothing like bricks or scrap wood and such.
The neighbor that puts trash next to mine only puts bags out, so I could not do this, but I have had her put stuff in mine when mine were not full, and it did not bother me. We are friendly neighbors though.

The question is, why are you not just putting it in your own? Is your's overflowing? Have you not paid for trash pickup? Do you not have your own can? Just being lazy? Are you doing it on a regular basis?
Or is somebody putting stuff in your's and your mad at that?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I would ask because you never know when they may need the full capacity, like after throwing a party or doing major house cleaning.

For sure if someone filled their neighbors can the day AFTER pickup that would really dumb.
But the night before?

City of Chicago policy is that construction is debris OK in trash unless you are a contractor and doing it on a regular/daily basis.

Last edited:
"What sort of low life would put their trash in someone else's trash can?"

Me. My neighbors, the ones I talk and have a beer with. We can put out 'unlimited', but sometimes if it's too much much the refuse people could get a little iffy. So something you'll see a neighbor putting 2 black plastic bags and various houses on the block. It's at their own house too. Or just something extra. It's kind of understood that if it isn't picked up, it goes back to their house. Since most people put garbage curbside in the evening, like as an after thought, knocking on someone's door at night isn't preferred. Just a mention next time you see them. Sometimes you have a party and have too much recycle, and your neighbor doesn't. If the privilege is abuse, the privilege is rescinded.
It is really a first world problem

Maybe carry his cans back up to his house once you have used them and they have been emptied. Nice gesture, I think.
Also, ask first.
wink.gif

I usually default to being a good neighbor. I wouldn't mind if they did it once in a great while. As long as it was legal garbage and my can had room for it.

If it was me, I would ask first. But I know my neighbors well enough to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back