Lucas synthetic 75W-90 - Should I use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to change the diff lube on my son's 1996 F250, I already have Lucas 75W90 synthetic gear lube and don't know if I should use it or get some Super Tech. Lucas products don't have a stellar reputation here and I don't want to put [censored] in his truck, but I'd like to use it since I already have it.

Read the owner manual and use the specified and appropriate grade fluid. Especially in somebody else's vehicle

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I used Lucas in my F150 (75w-140 though) with no issues.
Proper viscosity is more important than brand IMO.

+1.
It's about higher KV@40*C.
It's not about brands, or mineral/synthetics noise.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
I'm going to change the diff lube on my son's 1996 F250, I already have Lucas 75W90 synthetic gear lube and don't know if I should use it or get some Super Tech. Lucas products don't have a stellar reputation here and I don't want to put [censored] in his truck, but I'd like to use it since I already have it.

Send it to me and I will let you know if its good.

If this is true, no wonder that people swear by Amsoil products.
So glad that I picked up Amsoil ATF to change oil in transfer case on my G37.
Was going to pick up Amsoil for diffs as well in next couple weeks as I start my spring maintenance, now I am even more convinced to stick with Amsoil oils.

That's a fair call, most definitely.

Just Lucas (and others) seem to have a fairly loose interpretation of what a specification is.

With trepidation my son's truck diff is filled with 3.7 quarts of Lucas synth 75W90. Following pouring it in I read the above gear oil test and how poorly the Lucas gear oil did in that test. I'm hoping that test was an aberrant sample and isn't representative of usual quality. That optimistic perspective is all I've got. Amazing to think I could have put in worse lube than I drained out.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
With trepidation my son's truck diff is filled with 3.7 quarts of Lucas synth 75W90. Following pouring it in I read the above gear oil test and how poorly the Lucas gear oil did in that test. I'm hoping that test was an aberrant sample and isn't representative of usual quality. That optimistic perspective is all I've got. Amazing to think I could have put in worse lube than I drained out.

An honest question, why would you believe that?

Have the Lucas analyzed with a sulfur report and we can look at the analysis and see if the EP package is sufficient or if it is undertreated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back