Pulleys and Belts on a Riding Lawn Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I'm a bit down in the dumps. My mower repair place (dealer) just called and said that I have to get my pulleys and belts replaced at a cost of $200. That's on top of the charge for pickup and drop off with an oil change and blade sharpening, etc. Grand total? $375- $400 is the estimate.

The mower has 150 hours on it and it is 10 years old. Just wondering if this sounds like something that I should have expected to have to do? My father says it's a ripoff. The dealer says if I don't do it now, I might get stuck and have to have them come back out and charge another $80 for pick up and drop off pm top of the repair.

What else should I expect to have to have done in the near future? Am I better off buying a new mower? Last year they had to do $200 worth of work for a kit that had to be installed to stop the mower from blowing white smoke. Said it was common for the model, and it did solve it.
I have a very bad back and so I am at their mercy to service my rider annually. Anyway, thanks for any feedback.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

I've found lots of parts for my old Poulan rider on E-bay.

Same here - Pulleys for $5.00 each and a belt for $10. Did the work myself.

Many parts, like pulleys, interchange over many, many models.

I would have them show you why they need replaced. Maybe they'll last another year?

How much can you do yourself??

You can buy green OPE belts at NAPA that are made for mowers, etc.

Several places sell other parts like partstree.com.

You should wiggle and turn each pulley to see if it loose and does it turn freely. Replace if its loose or does not turn freely.

Take the blades off and find a local shop to sharpen them. Or just replace.

Maybe spend the $$ on a mower lift to lift up the mower and get access to the blades.

Change oil. Spark plug. Air filter.

Use E0 gas if possible. Add blue Stabil to your gas year round.

Pull battery in the fall and put on a float charger in a place thats somewhat warm.

Vacuum (or blow with compressed air) around the engine cooling fins to remove grass so it can cool itself fine. Look for mouse nests.

Adjust cup holder to properly hold your favorite beer.

My mower is a Cub Cadet LT1045.
They quoted me $80 for parts.
What a ripoff.

I cannot do the work myself. As I stated, I have a bad back. It makes it very difficult to crawl around on the ground or bend over for very long. Not whining, just stating a fact.

Just looking at paperwork and realizing this mower has a courage engine. That's bad, right? Lol
Now I am thinking I just trade this thing in. I'd save $200 on the tuneup and probably get another $350 for the mower. That would give me $550 toward another mower that is brand new and doesn't need regular $200 maintenance upcharges.

The new Cadet XT2 mowers start at $1800 with the 7000 series engines.

Last edited:
Is it worth going from a 22 hp mower to a 24 hp? The difference is $200. I'm a big guy, would it be less stress for a bigger engine? What I have now is a 20hp and it doesn't seem to struggle with me.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
My mower is a Cub Cadet LT1045.

That's the problem. Not trying to put you down or be rude, but the Cub Cadets are terrible. I work on them all the time. Low quality MTD junk that wears the name of a brand that used to be quality.

I had a guy bring me a Cub Cadet lawn tractor purchased from Lowes that had a snowblower attachment. The tractor itself (also used for mowing) had under 200 hours on it. The snowblower attachment might have had 2 seasons on it. The welds on the snowblower frame broke right off. It was obvious the welds were terrible and there weren't enough of them.

I've seen other MTD machines that eat drive belts/pulleys just from their design. $400 isn't terrible, depending on how difficult the pulleys are to get to. Sometimes they can be a real nightmare to reach.

I'm finding a lot of riding mowers have good "first glance" quality. Like the seat and fender deck seem comfortable and well made, but then you look underneath and crucial stuff like pulleys and transmissions are where they cheaped out.

I would avoid Cub Cadet. Even some of the Craftsman and Husqvarna lower level mowers are built better than the Cub Cadets. Might be worth looking into one of those.

The problem here is my price point. I'm right at $2200 for a machine. I've been told the John Deere's at the same price point are no better.

The machine I own was purchased at Tractor Supply, so I didn't believe it to be any sort of great equipment.
If pulleys and belts are a regular replacement item, then 10 years/ 150 hours seems to be pretty good wear. Then again, if it were built better, maybe they don't have to be replaced at all? Is that what you are saying?

If pulleys and belts are a regular replacement item, then 10 years/ 150 hours seems to be pretty good wear. Then again, if it were built better, maybe they don't have to be replaced at all? Is that what you are saying?

In all the machines I've had, I've only replaced belts around the 400 hour mark, and only replaced one deck pulley on a 40+ year old John Deere with more hours than I care to guess.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

In all the machines I've had, I've only replaced belts around the 400 hour mark, and only replaced one deck pulley on a 40+ year old John Deere with more hours than I care to guess.

+1

The more expensive machines are better built. The Kohler Courage engines have plastic cam gears that like to fail, engine blocks that crack, etc, and those Cub Cadets usually have hydro transmissions that don't last long especially with hills.

Have you considered used? There are a ton of really great used machines on Craigslist that are only a few years old. You could get a slightly used John Deere for that price that will last for years.

I have a 2005 John Deere G110 garden tractor with over 700 hard hours of use on it from mowing, leaves, snow blowing, towing, etc. I've replaced mower blades, mower deck belt, snow blower belt this year, and three deck pulleys in that time. Everything else was oil changes and air filters. It doesn't burn any oil and runs like new.

I don't think you need another machine, I think you need another mechanic.

There normally are people that will do normal servicing and parts replacment (like belts and pulleys) at your home. They can earn a very good hourly wage and save you a bundle.

Just ask around. Try places like a local golf course, playing field or park.

The K46 transmission is hydro-static. It seems to be a common transmission in the mowers at my price point.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I am assuming you also own better equipment than what I can get in my $2000 price range?
Sounds like you own some nice stuff or that I am getting completely hosed here.

This is all easy to do yourself.
YouTube University.
$80 pickup and drop-off? Scam!

I would drive the mower home no matter the distance!

Last edited:
I think you would wear out an engine before a pulley. I never had to replace just a pulley before.Belt replacement is not a difficult DIY project.

If your price point is $2200, maybe you should consider buying a $1100 mower now and another $1100 mower when that one fails. Consider what is available at the big box stores. Get one with a regular transmission. You don't need 22hp. 15hp is way more then enough. I have a 42" rider with a 14.5hp brigs&stratten motor and I weigh nearly 300lbs. It handles me just fine.

Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back