When did the US choose sulfur over sulphur ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I can remember in the US, at least back to the 1970s, element #16, has always been spelled sulfur, but in the UK and other places outside the US it has been sulphur. With that said, I grew up near Sulphur, Louisiana which was named after some nearby sulfur mines. Go figure...

Looking at that background ad at the top tells me what Thing 1 and Thing 2 grew up to be...their blue hair fell out and their heads turned red, too.

I found a website that claims that sulphur/sulfur is derived from the French word soufre, so I say the Brits messed it up long ago and the Aussies and 'Mercans have now fixed it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
So we both messed up couleur then ?

Nah, the French messed that up on their end and we both fixed it...looks like "color" was the original Latin word.
;^)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Looking at that background ad at the top tells me what Thing 1 and Thing 2 grew up to be...their blue hair fell out and their heads turned red, too.

I found a website that claims that sulphur/sulfur is derived from the French word soufre, so I say the Brits messed it up long ago and the Aussies and 'Mercans have now fixed it.

lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

It's just another example of simplified spelling commonly taught in the US. I don't know how far it goes back but I'm sure it pre-dates WWII (1940).

It doesn't matter whether you use British or American spelling, what matters is you are consistent. So don't type "the colour of sulfur is usually yellow". If you were writing a College paper in Canada, you get demerits for inconsistency within the document; you can however use either British or American English spelling for full credit provided you stay with one or the other throughout.

The observant will notice I use British spelling, which is what was taught in Canadian public (pre-secondary) schools until the early 1980's. That is when computer spelling dictionaries tended to be tied to the keyboard layout in the computer's OS configuration and for a very long time only the US layout was available for English speaking persons, something that most US readers are probably unaware.

For Post-Secondary (College) essays, either was allowable for quite some time, at least since the 1960's and I suspect anytime after WWII, as long as you don't switch between them within the document.

The English we speak was significantly influenced by the French language so it's hardly surprising to see some Gallic influence in the language. For many years French was the official language of the UK; English was only spoken by the common, unenfranchised masses.

In this case, the official IUPAC name sides with the US variant, so I tend to use this now (through gritted teeth admittedly
grin.gif
) in all cases (so I would use "colour" and "sulfur" together).

However, IUPAC sides with the Empire on aluminium and caesium.
laugh.gif

There are some that subconsciously gravitate toward more colorful euro spellings as a sign of sophistication and breeding. I learned that working in the support Centre at Ford. I'm happy being an American mutt of questionable breeding ...We spell it how we like.

Originally Posted By: weasley
In this case, the official IUPAC name sides with the US variant, so I tend to use this now (through gritted teeth admittedly
grin.gif
) in all cases (so I would use "colour" and "sulfur" together).

However, IUPAC sides with the Empire on aluminium and caesium.
laugh.gif

I know how you feel...in the '90s, I was responsible for a sulfur trioxide injection plant for the flue gas cleaning...sulfur trioxide, 80T tanks of sulfur, sulfur pumps...was like some evil entity trying to rub it in.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I'm fairly certain it was 1776....and then reaffirmed in 1812....

I thought that the first IC engine patent was around 1864...

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
It's just another example of simplified spelling commonly taught in the US. I don't know how far it goes back but I'm sure it pre-dates WWII (1940).

Easy Spell. And then they complain about txt spelling. In New Zealand we speak and spell UK English.

Americans are more "to the point" and the British enjoy blithering and rambling nonsense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
I'm fairly certain it was 1776....and then reaffirmed in 1812....

I thought that the first IC engine patent was around 1864...

^ I was referring to the British vs American spelling of sulfur vs sulphur, not the timeline of the invention of the IC engine. You do understand the reference to 1776 and 1812...right?

Yes I do...you do understand the reason for including a clickable link in my first post don't you ?

try it, and you'll see that the change had nothing to do with the dates that you quoted.

"When did the US choose sulfur over sulphur ?"

^ My reply was about how the Americans started using their own version of the 'Queens English' after winning independence from the British 'Crown' in 1776 and reinforcing their independence with another win against the British 'crown' in the war of 1812. After reading the link twice I assumed the subject of the OP was the difference of the spelling of the word 'sulfur'. If I misunderstood the OP, sorry...colour me clueless.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

...I found a website that claims that sulphur/sulfur is derived from the French word soufre, so I say the Brits messed it up long ago and the Aussies and 'Mercans have now fixed it.

thumbsup2.gif
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back