Hyundai GDI - Fuel System Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The Hyundai filter is not the best one to get if filtering is your objective.

Its the best filter if not having any filter related issues is your objective.

Do you have any data on the filtering efficiency?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

No I do not have specific micron/efficiency rating. However the OEM filter is a application specific /high flow filter. Hyundai/KIA engines are known for high/sudden oil pressure spikes. I have seen/solved many oil related issues by simply removing aftermarket filters including the FRAM ultra that everyone is all about for some reason.

Originally Posted By: Thax

No I do not have specific micron/efficiency rating. However the OEM filter is a application specific /high flow filter. Hyundai/KIA engines are known for high/sudden oil pressure spikes. I have seen/solved many oil related issues by simply removing aftermarket filters including the FRAM ultra that everyone is all about for some reason.
Hi flow filter that has a 20psi rating? It's high flow by default because it does not have very much filtering capacity. Both my Hyundais have the Fram ultras on them now with no issues. The Gen Coupe has an oil pressure gauge and it sees very high pressure it seems to me, when cold 40 psi and at hot high rpm over 80 psi. This was the same pressure with a Wix or the Hyundai filter on it.

Bought my sonata from a ford dealer who used valvoline jobber filters for their non ford cars.

Car knocked at cold startup every time until I put a hyundai oem filter on it.

Hi flow filter that has a 20psi rating? It's high flow by default because it does not have very much filtering capacity. Both my Hyundais have the Fram ultras on them now with no issues. The Gen Coupe has an oil pressure gauge and it sees very high pressure it seems to me, when cold 40 psi and at hot high rpm over 80 psi. This was the same pressure with a Wix or the Hyundai filter on it.

Im glad that you two Hyundai's have zero problems with aftermarket filters. The OEM has filtering capacity that satisfies the engineers requirement. So what if it doesnt filter out a billionth of a Micron? The OEM filter does its job and filters without causing additional problems. Example last week on a Soul 1.6L, customer came in for oil pressure light one. Why? Fram ultra filter was starving the oil pressure sender that sits directly above the filter. Solution, intsall new OEM filter and top off engine oil. I have seen dozens and dozens of all brands/sizes of aftermarket filters cause knocking , oil lights , oil control valve codes etc. Not saying the Hyundai/KIA filter is the top of the line cats meow , but for Hyundai/KIA it certainly is.

Im glad that you two Hyundai's have zero problems with aftermarket filters. The OEM has filtering capacity that satisfies the engineers requirement. So what if it doesnt filter out a billionth of a Micron? The OEM filter does its job and filters without causing additional problems. Example last week on a Soul 1.6L, customer came in for oil pressure light one. Why? Fram ultra filter was starving the oil pressure sender that sits directly above the filter. Solution, intsall new OEM filter and top off engine oil. I have seen dozens and dozens of all brands/sizes of aftermarket filters cause knocking , oil lights , oil control valve codes etc. Not saying the Hyundai/KIA filter is the top of the line cats meow , but for Hyundai/KIA it certainly is.

Did any of your customer's have any issues with Purolator PureONE filters in the past?

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

Did any of your customer's have any issues with Purolator PureONE filters in the past?

Honestly not that I can recall.

probably a great idea to just stay away from a Hyundai/KIA altogether, fussy, problematic.

Use Techron concentrate. It is the same as the Hyundai/KIA fuel system cleaner. To prevent GDI carbon issues its pretty simple. I would really suggest a high quality low NOACK synthetic in 5w-30. Yes 5w-30 in the Theta-II 2.4L which calls for 5w-20, this engine shears oil pretty bad and has heavy fuel dilution issues. 30 weight is ok by Hyunday/KIA , 20 weight is recommended for fuel economy. If your gonna change your oil , use only the Hyundai/KIA filter. No other filter is as good for these engines, no aftermarket filter comes close. Use high quality gasoline , poor quality gasoline can contribute. Last when your in for service , inquire if the ECM and TCM have the latest updated software. Hyundai/KIA constantly are updating modules to improve performance, efficiency and longevity.

The OEM filter filters horribly. 99.2% @50 microns, is a putrid filtration efficiency. Contrast this with the Fram Ultra which is 99.5% at 20 microns. Fram's Hyundia Filter, XG9688 is a much better choice. Filters better and flows better than the OEM. I've used them on 3 different Hyundais and found they run smoother at start up than with the OEM.

I just don't see how it's is possible that a FRAM ultra would do that to a well-maintained car. What is the problem? The delta P across the filter is too low? We know that the ultra flows better than any other filter we have data on, and with the Hyundia OEM filter being a pure cellulose with no synthetic media it can't have good flow.

The by-pass setting is lighter on the Ultra (9-15PSI), than OEM (20PSI). So the bypass opens and allows oil through easier than the OEM, so the engine can't be starving for oil due to the bypass not opening. Why would a filter that flows better and bypasses easier starve the engine? Or is the engine getting too much oil?

I tend to believe the Fram rep, that pressure spikes in the Hyundai engines are causing the o-ring seal on the filters to blow out and leak oil. An empty sump would absolutely cause low oil pressure, it's a much more believable explanation for the symptoms you describe. Doing your fix, topping off oil and tightening a filter on good and tight (so the seal doesn't blow), would be the perfect solution regardless of what brand the new filter is.

Until someone can tell me what this OEM filter has in it that makes it synergize with a Hyundai/Kia, I'll stick with a filter that can actually do it's job of filtering worth a darn. I mean, what does it have, magic fairy dust?

Originally Posted By: dblshock
probably a great idea to just stay away from a Hyundai/KIA altogether, fussy, problematic.

Just like any manufacturer, it has its problems/issues. Id say its issues are far less dramatic than the others. No airbag issues , no runaway throttle issues, dangerous ignition switches...etc. Worst issue for Hyundai/KIA is the 2.4L & 2.0L engine blocks which are being covered to 120K miles. I dont know of any manufacturer that would cover an engine to 120K .

Originally Posted By: GRWOil
Use Techron concentrate. It is the same as the Hyundai/KIA fuel system cleaner. To prevent GDI carbon issues its pretty simple. I would really suggest a high quality low NOACK synthetic in 5w-30. Yes 5w-30 in the Theta-II 2.4L which calls for 5w-20, this engine shears oil pretty bad and has heavy fuel dilution issues. 30 weight is ok by Hyunday/KIA , 20 weight is recommended for fuel economy. If your gonna change your oil , use only the Hyundai/KIA filter. No other filter is as good for these engines, no aftermarket filter comes close. Use high quality gasoline , poor quality gasoline can contribute. Last when your in for service , inquire if the ECM and TCM have the latest updated software. Hyundai/KIA constantly are updating modules to improve performance, efficiency and longevity.

The OEM filter filters horribly. 99.2% @50 microns, is a putrid filtration efficiency. Contrast this with the Fram Ultra which is 99.5% at 20 microns. Fram's Hyundia Filter, XG9688 is a much better choice. Filters better and flows better than the OEM. I've used them on 3 different Hyundais and found they run smoother at start up than with the OEM.

Glad you have used the FRAM filter on 3 Hyundai's with no problems. Ive used the OEM filter on Thousands of KIA's and not one single comeback/problem. All im saying is from my experience the OEM is the best choice, zero problems with it. Im not sure what makes this filter "magical" it just works. Not saying the Fram xg9688 isnt a good filter , its got great numbers behind it. It doesnt perform as well as a OEM filter in the real world. When I have to remove a ultra filter and replace it with an OEM to fix a oil pressure warning light , I know which one is better for that application.

Not to mention that the cost of the ultra is double the cost of an OEM hyundai filter.

These cars have 3750 oil change intervals, so I buy a lot of filters per year.

Yesterday afternoon I took my hyundai out for lunch at work. It knocked for about 1 second upon startup. This is with the OEM filter. I'm annoyed. Oil was changed about 2 weeks ago with 5w30 valvoline maxlife. It was about 80 degrees outside.

Oil level is fine, nothing is low or leaking.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Not to mention that the cost of the ultra is double the cost of an OEM hyundai filter.

Yesterday afternoon I took my hyundai out for lunch at work. It knocked for about 1 second upon startup. This is with the OEM filter. I'm annoyed. Oil was changed about 2 weeks ago with 5w30 valvoline maxlife. It was about 80 degrees outside.

Did 2011 have a different service schedule?

Mine calls for an oil change every 7,500 miles.

My only gripe is the HPFP noise, very loud on cold startup.

Yep - some of the marine companies are just rebranding Techron - some on the strong side (so they say) ...

I thought PureOne was considered restrictive even before QAQC problems started ...

Originally Posted By: JustinH

That's not been my experience. I have a Kia dealer down the street and the Kia filter is ~$8. I can buy the Fram ULTRA XG9688 for $9 at Wal-Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back