Grandmother just picked one of these up....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her and my grandfather have been sharing a loaded 2003 Silverado Duramax for years now, it currently has over 275K and she doesn't feel comfortable driving it around without him as it has had some issues over the past couple years. She still works and wanted something to go around town in that she could trust. They found a cherry 2002 Lexus LS430 in black with only 75K miles on it. The owner had ALL of the maintenance records which was a huge bonus and adds peace of mind. I have to say, she made a great choice!

These cars are the ultimate in Japanese luxury. They had every option known to man at the time, including rear wheel drive, semi aniline heated and cooled leather seats, and a silky smooth 4.3 liter V8 that scoots to 60 in 6.7 seconds. I'm sure she is on cloud 9 now
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
How much?

Enquiring minds .....

Don't have that info. I looked on Auto Trader for kicks and giggles, for a similarly equipped model with similar miles you could get them anywhere from $8-$15K on average. They purchased theirs private party from an elderly gentleman though, so they quite possibly got a great deal.

ah the only downside is it's a big car so in grandma's hands expect dings and paint scrapes and so on. my dad whos officially a senior has a ls430 so I know.

as far as carbuying skills actually no, it looks like she did no car shopping. instead she has superior social skills i.e. think of what small talk or chitchat led to this transaction. knowing people and making friends beats working things the hard way alone every time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng

as far as carbuying skills actually no, it looks like she did no car shopping. instead she has superior social skills i.e. think of what small talk or chitchat led to this transaction. knowing people and making friends beats working things the hard way alone every time.

This is her to a T! She is such a genuine and sweet lady, no doubt that helped her in this transaction.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
One of my all time favorite bodies that lexus cranked out!

Go Grandma!

Yes, it has a very timeless look.

They beat Germany at their own game back then. Even though it looks like a direct copy of a Mercedes, there is no denying they are solid cars.

An LS430 will be my next car. But without the air suspension.

Heck my old 1995 LS400 beats my 2008 Accord in every category that matters.

Greg you should trade her your accord straight up!

The LS never had rear wheel drive as an option. Has been standard since the beginning.

Does her car have a 5 speed tranny or 6 speed?

Ouch that interior! Beautiful looking car! A family friend had one of those years ago and I loved taking a ride in the few times I got to go. The boxiness of the exterior mixed with the ultra luxury interior make it one of my all-time favorites. Congratulations to grandma

One of my favorite looking cars. Bet it drives like a million bucks.

The only thing that worries me about the LS cars is the extra maintenance over something like an ES or GS model.

But it is such a baller car, love it!

I have always been partial to them. They do need timing belt changed, correct? There are some couple of routine items on that model which if I recall are extremely difficult to replace (may be starter?) But still a great car from that era.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

The only thing that worries me about the LS cars is the extra maintenance over something like an ES or GS model.

What extra maintenance?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: JustinH

What extra maintenance?

More cylinders = more sparkplugs.
lol.gif

THe LS430 is THE classic Japanese saloon...

When I 1st got the Kitacam the tire guy remarked it was the beer-budget Lexus, something I laughed at at the time...until I say Doc Martin driving one through Cornwall...
..and saw that it sure enough does look like the design source (though sadly not the elegance) of the humble 05/06 Camry. When I pointed this out to a Honda Accord Sport owner who likes cars a lot, he HATED the LS430 for its boring square design...oh well...

You grandma's got great taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back