ATF for my hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I plan on doing drain and fills on my RX450h. The fluid is WS, but I am looking for alternatives. I have seen all kinds of non definitive mess on the internets, and I'm sure this post will only add to the mess. But there is always(OK, sometimes) someone that shines with ultimate wisdom here on BITOG. First Change I want to do at 30k for the HDS, and 50k in the rear. Then stretch out in 10k increments and eyeball the color.
What say ye?

Do not fall for phrases like "will work in Infiniti vehicles..." it MUST say "meets specifications for".

"Recommended in applications that use Mercon V" is absolutely NOT the same thing as "Meets specification for Mercon V"

I always stick to OEM as best as possible when the vehicle is still under warranty, specially potentially big expensive parts/fixes.

If you happen to hold on to the vehicle past the warranty, then start reading up on all the possibilities from BITOGer's.

If your trans is like that of my 2013 Avalon hybrid (which is like the Camry hybrid which is like the Prius trans), I did the usual BITOG OCD, and drained it at about 9300 miles which is when I bought the car. I used WS then. It was probably not necessary then, given there are no clutches, but...

Fast forward 30k later, and I decided to use Redline D6 as a long term ATF. They make top drawer stuff, and I sleep better. My car, my call.

I didn't notice any difference in performance, but didn't expect to given it's a "gearless" CVT, but one that uses conventional ATF. I asked Redline about that after what I read on their website. I had assumed a CVT is a CVT, which is true except when it's not
wink.gif

Changing the ATF on my hybrid is like changing manual transmission oil. There is a drain plug and and a fill plug. Both are accessible under the car. Not the easiest to do, but I don't plan on doing it often which is why I went with Redline. It's a bit of a PITA in that you have to get the car up on jackstands to be pretty level, then drain the old fluid, and add the new fluid till it comes out the fill hole.

One of these years I'll master a fluid line exchange, I guess.

I bought the Redline given it seems to have better high temp specs. All that said, use what you prefer. As long as it meets mfgr specs you're good, which Redline does in spades.

Don't fall for the bogus fear "they will do a chemical analysis on the ATF and discover it isn't WS and will void your warranty" (right after they drag your car out of the service area and set fire to it).
grin.gif

Thanks eagle for sharing your experience.
Yes it is the same as Prius/Camry/Altima(or was it maxima?) planetary setup that bathes motors in the fluid.
It's not about saving money really, as amsoil will be the same or more, redline will cost more also, but if there is an equal but cheaper option I would be stupid not to use it. Anyone else have any expertise in this area?
As far as warranty goes, I bought a toyota for the longevity and solid design, and the warranty period is simply for the things that have been goofed in manufacturing or assembly. Those will be obvious.

Dyusik, to your point about being cheaper or better, I admit to the BITOG OCD.

Everything I've read in a variety of places talks about how long-lived the drivetrains are in Priuses (Prii?) in taxicab use. It seems common to go north of 400k without drivetrain issues. I doubt those vehicles are getting BITOG OCD lubricant uses and intervals.

Somewhere here, someone wrote that WS is a good fluid, though midpack, and there are better ones out there.

I haven't checked the application, but have to wonder if Mobil 1 ATF is suitable for our transmissions. It's pretty commonly available and has a long history of offering good protection. Might be worth looking.

Prius transmission is but a couple of gears. Nothing like a typical automatic with a torque convertor.

I have used Maxlife with fine results in a WS-spec traditional automatic, but this is from the December 2016 info sheet: "Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF for use in most continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) and in dual clutch transmissions (DCTs) unless specifically noted..."

http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Valvoline makes a CVT fluid, but it doesn't mention Toyota.

Maybe The Critic will see this thread. He's another member who has a lot of experience with hybrid transmissions.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
I have used Maxlife with fine results in a WS-spec traditional automatic, but this is from the December 2016 info sheet: "Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF for use in most continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) and in dual clutch transmissions (DCTs) unless specifically noted..."

Maybe The Critic will see this thread. He's another member who has a lot of experience with hybrid transmissions.

The Toyota CVT is not the same as (most?) of the other CVTs, which is why you can use WS in it, and don't need a special CVT ATF. That caused confusion when visiting a couple of sites such as Redline or Valvoline (Maxlife). It wasn't until I go the clarification that I learned the special ATF is not needed, or recommended.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic

Toyota_electronic_continuously_variable_transmission_(2010-10-16)_02.jpg

Though it functions as a CVT, this is a world different. It seems as it is all gear driven, and that tells me there is nothing that needs special FMs or what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back