Disposal and collection solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I don't know how you guys/gals deal with this - how do you deal with used bottles and draining your collection pan. I ended up up cutting up an old dishwasher rack, installing a sink drain into a plastic drawer and have a hose that drains into a 5 gallon pail. You can also put your filters on the rack and push them down to defeat the anti drainback valve. Cost me about $50 Canadian to build. Thought I'd share and maybe inspire. Images to come

I drain my oil filter and throw it in the trash. I throw away my emptied quart bottles and repurpose 4 (washer fluid) or 5 (oil) quart jugs for used oil which is turned in for recycling. I have a 9" X 9" cake pan I keep my funnels in. No need to go overboard.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I drain my oil filter and throw it in the trash. I throw away my emptied quart bottles and repurpose 4 (washer fluid) or 5 (oil) quart jugs for used oil which is turned in for recycling. I have a 9" X 9" cake pan I keep my funnels in. No need to go overboard.

EDIT: I actually recycle unused bottles/jugs, not throw them away.

I've got one of these. It holds 12 qts. I put a funnel in it and let the filter drain overnight. Then take the filter to Walmart for recycling.

I use an old 5 gallon paint thinner drum. It is pretty heavy duty. I had a similar 5 gallon metal paint drum, but moisture rusted it from the inside. It made a bit of a mess in my garage.

It is almost identical to this- https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

I got it for free as my brother used to work at some company that used stuff in these buckets. I put a large funnel on top to drain out filters. Not nearly as elegant as your solution.

Hmm, looking at your pic, I see you have a black 5 gallon drum: that looks identical to what I had: be careful as they can corrode from the inside, and you will not notice it until oil is leaking on the floor.

I use a few tidy cat litter pails.
They are plastic, I guess about 3 gallons each.

I fill 3 of them up, then take it to the recycling center to dump out once a year or so.

I usually keep a separate one for antifreeze and dump that at the center also.

Yeah that's what I have been doing with the super tech 20L pail. There are about 5 different funnels, plus the pan, etc that will be stored in the rack while the filters drain out. Those bottles are in there are an accumulation over time I am now dealing with. I overestimated the capacity of the 20L pail and overfilled it more than once. Once it's in the funnel it's too late lol. The new pail is opaque with measure marks so can see how much room I have left. The CRV is close to 8.5l to change (5 oil and 3.5 transmission) . Still gives me room to store the funnels upside down so they don't collect dust. Now I am worried about the super tech pail as per another members post :s

I cut open a fram synthetic filter on my last change - you will be suprised at how much oil is still in there after being set upside down for a month. The adb valve traps it. This was a dishwasher rack tine can defeat the valve as tonactually empty them

I wish it worked the same for the vodka bottles lol

I have the exact same container as Warstud and do exactly what he does with the bottles, jug and filter. I take all the used oil , along with the empty jugs and bottles, and filters to the EcoCentre at Crown Shred & Recycling for recycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back