What else needs to be done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What needs to be done to a current vehicle engine package so that the first oil change will come due at 100K just like the spark plugs? Make everything 100K, brakes, all of it. We're already there with much of this stuff, why not all of it.

A larger sump, a big bypass filter, a catch can, add a coolant filter, a big air filtration system and then what?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What needs to be done to a current vehicle engine package so that the first oil change will come due at 100K just like the spark plugs? Make everything 100K, brakes, all of it. We're already there with much of this stuff, why not all of it.

A larger sump, a big bypass filter, a catch can, add a coolant filter, a big air filtration system and then what?

And then you have a even more expensive new car.

Why would you even worry about a cheap service like an oil change?
Most cars used by most people would be run dry of oil in anything much beyond the currently recommended OCIs.
Part of the reason for current OCI recommendations is that manufacturers know that 99% of all owners will never pull the dipstick.
A 100K OCI would necessarily require adds, so it ain't gonna happen.
Brakes, plugs and coolant?
Already there for careful and attentive drivers.
Pay attention and you hardly need to use the brakes.

Great question!

The brakes on the Dodge didn't need to be changed the first time until 109k, so depending upon your driving style, that's already doable. Maybe make them with a harder material and with rotors designed to better shed heat?

We've got 150k mile coolant, making it past the 5 year mark seems to be the issue there, yes?

I'm not even sure where to begin with oil. 20 or 30q sumps? HDEO oil instead of energy conserving? Several oversized filters in a string designed to bypass one by one as they clog?

I'm sure it's all doable, but in a race to the bottom of car sticker prices, I don't think it would happen. I guess Bentley or RR could do it. I feel like someone buying that sort if sticker price could also be into a car that they just drive for 10 years.

Well I would think a different type of oil and filter replacements.

That is how oil last so long on Submarine. We also take a lot of samples so I don't know how practical it would be on a car.

Turbine engines go that long on an OCI, but don't deal with blow-by gasses.

I've seen people on several occasions run Mobil-1 to 50,000+ - so there's just 2 oil changes!
shocked.gif

SERIOUSLY, THOUGH - - what's the documented use (on here, BITOG) with people running bypass filters and super super long OCI's?

I'm in the "make it burn a quart per 1k" crowd. Burn it off and just keep topping off the oil. Oversized oil filter wouldn't hurt, but at a fast burn rate it might not be all that needed.

Why would it need a coolant filter? How many cars go 200k plus on original coolant? original brake fluid, trans fluid and PS fluid? IMO those fluids could go the lifetime of the car (although when the fluids fail they can and will define the lifetime in many cases).

On my Jetta I did rear brakes a 168k when they were worn out, and fronts at 175k when one fell off (other three pads were only down 25%). My wife's Camry would have all its original brakes on it at 135k had the rear pads not frozen up (it does have the original fronts with huge amount of pad left). So if you want brakes to last... get the obsolete model with three pedals on the floor and learn how to anticipate stops.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Linctex

I've seen people on several occasions run MOBIL-1 to 50,000+ - so there's just 2 oil changes!
shocked.gif

Amsoil not Mobil

Do NOT change my quote.
I know for a fact they used Mobil 1.
One in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
The other in Kalispell, Montana.

One was a Ford, the other a Chevy.
Both V8's.

Start with a bypass filter system and run UOA at 10k, 20k, 30k ... darn - my TBN is too low to carry on ...
(And the above assumes not even a gasoline TDI engine)
Hope I did not hurt the motor. How much did I spend with that filter set up and UOA's ... ?

Think the $49 Mobil 1 AP now looks cheaper
wink.gif

I mean personally I don't want a 100k oil change That makes me too distant from my car. Oil changes aren't just to change the fluids in your car. They also get you under the car to see things you normally don't. It is a good time to inspect things for possible faults and grease Tie rod ends and other joints if need be.

Ditto - since my truck gets wet and dirty and often parks by saltwater - like to get under it - I even like to use a rattle can to keep frame and springs touched up ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back