Status
Not open for further replies.
Miles on Oil 1,100
Miles on Engine 1,100
Factory Fill
No Makeup oil added
Sample Date 2/20/17

Blackstone Comments:

This is a nice first report for your Harley. The high copper and silicon readings aren't troublesome,
since readings like these are perfectly normal for the first few oil changes from a new engine. Copper shows
wear-in of brass/bronze parts, and the silicon is from harmless sealers. Both should improve nicely over the
next few oil changes. No moisture, fuel, or other contaminants were detected, and the trace of insolubles
shows excellent oil filtration and low oxidation. Averages are based on ~4,700 miles of oil use, so try
running long next time.

Aluminum 4
Chromium 0
Iron 11
Copper 66
Lead 2
Tin 4
Molybdenum 91
Nickel 0
Manganese 4
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 3
Boron 273
Silicon 35
Sodium 5
Calcium 672
Magnesium 652
Phosphorous 727
Zinc 937
Barium 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 87.3
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 17.33
Flashpoint in °F 440
Fuel % span>
Insolubles % TR
Antifreeze% -
Water% 0.0

IN: Amsoil 20w 50, Amsoil Filter, Amsoil Primary fluid, Amsoil Transmission fluid.

Last edited:
Nice first report.
The good news is, there are a ton of reports on this engine of the Road King if you go back each page far as 7 pages (possibly more). When you get to the 5,6,7 pages you will see many 103 HD engines at the beginning stages of new engine UOAs. then as you move closer to the first page you can see how the engines progressed as the miles wore on.
I was going to post the links, but there are so many of them from me, Duckrider and Revrider. Duckrider wins the award for the most UOAs!

If interested you can also view the VOAs of these oils posted around the same time.

Your first report is very similar. Im unsure if your engine is water cooled or not? If not, copper could easily be explained by the oil cooler I think. Anyway, not a concern even if you have water cooled, as I am unsure if our oil coolers are copper or not, always assumed so but have no facts as to construction, anyway it will keep going lower.
Also I am sure you know, that first 1000 miles creates A LOT of metal as the engine breaks in.

I REALLY look forward someday to seeing an Amsoil report on your engine. (im sure you know when taking samples to make sure the oil is good and hot, well circulated)
Good luck with the bike! I am SURE you are thrilled with it!

We have had an easy winter here down south, geez, its going to be near 80 degrees today and I am off work but I have so much stuff to get done unsure if I will get out to ride or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: montero1
Mine is water cooled.

Ah, yes, I had a feeling it was. So we can no longer think that the cooper was from the cooler and high copper is quite normal for HD engines during break in.

Not sure how long i'll run it. Says two times the recomended interval..or if not by mileage will be 3 years

Oh, I could never do that. Im one to follow the manual and then some.

:eek:)

HD states once year if not hitting OCI mileage.
A motorcycle that cost tens of thousands of dollars, Im going to listen to the manufacturer over the oil company trying to sell me a product.

Never seen any decent synthetic not last 3 years. If there is one oil I'm comfortable doing it with, it's Amsoil. I've even run regular petroleum for two years, up to 5k.

I think Harley says to change the oil after the first 500 miles on a new engine, don't they? If that's the case you technically just voided your warranty. If for some reason you have an engine problem and some dealer asks to see proof that you followed all the break-in procedures, you may be screwed. I doubt any dealer could be that anal, but I think it safer to follow the break in and save receipts and documents to prove it. You know dealers just love to try and hit you for that first check-up. It's money in their pockets. Afterwards use Amsoil and keep it in as long as you want.

Again let me stress this is an unlikely scenario, but s _ _ t happens

Last edited:
1st oil change is called for at 1,000 miles....and my dealer sells Amsoil, though I am an Amsoil dealer.

I did the 1000 mile check at the dealer, first time I ever did something like that. But our first Harley and figured if they found something wrong it was covered.
With that said, it was inexpensive because I did the fluids myself. So all they did was go over the bike, no parts or fluid changes.
I keep a log of everything I do to the bike in a composition note book. Yes, kind of old school but just not worth it to me to keep a log on my computer or app or whatever. I looked at them all, and for me, more trouble then simply jotting it down in a notebook. Over the life of the 6 years of warranty, who knows what devices, computers and online services, including storage that I may or may not go through. :eek:) I love technology, run many websites too and security systems technician ... just doesnt do anything for me as far as vehicles when I can just jot down a note, date and time in a book. Nothing wrong for those who use apps for this, in fact I downloaded apps to do just that but not into it, the bike is my get away from technology, as I do it all workday long.

Ok, back to your bike!
I wish that I wasnt going to have to wait up to 3 years to see a UOA on your Amsoil ! Geez! It will be amazing if I dont get ADD with my bike and end up with a new one by then! *L*

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
I did the 1000 mile check at the dealer, first time I ever did something like that. But our first Harley and figured if they found something wrong it was covered.
With that said, it was inexpensive because I did the fluids myself. So all they did was go over the bike, no parts or fluid changes.
I keep a log of everything I do to the bike in a composition note book. Yes, kind of old school but just not worth it to me to keep a log on my computer or app or whatever. I looked at them all, and for me, more trouble then simply jotting it down in a notebook. Over the life of the 6 years of warranty, who knows what devices, computers and online services, including storage that I may or may not go through. :eek:) I love technology, run many websites too and security systems technician ... just doesnt do anything for me as far as vehicles when I can just jot down a note, date and time in a book. Nothing wrong for those who use apps for this, in fact I downloaded apps to do just that but not into it, the bike is my get away from technology, as I do it all workday long.

Ok, back to your bike!
I wish that I wasnt going to have to wait up to 3 years to see a UOA on your Amsoil ! Geez! It will be amazing if I dont get ADD with my bike and end up with a new one by then! *L*

I did the same thing, took it in for the 1k checkup, without fluids... was only 100 bucks. Not sure how long it will take to get to 10k. The Goldwing will still be my long distance bike. UOA on Goldwing coming soon.

I looked at a 2017 Touring model owners manual and it indicated they came filled with conventional HD 360 20w-50.
I would guess the 2016s did too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back