What police/crime shows do you guys like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

But the best ones are French. It's difficult to find them with English subtitles, though.

I really enjoyed Engranages ("Spiral") when it was on Netflix. It had subtitles.

Indeed these French crime flicks are way above the rest. Gritty and all, seems too real.
"Spiral" is subtitled on Netflix, so is "Braquo".
Of the same caliber, "Mesrine" deserves cult status:
Mesrine Trailer HD
Also "Carlos" is pretty good but not as good as Mesrine.

Current ones?
I keep my list at 7. I DVR all of them and watch one per day. That way I'm not a TV Junkie...
lol.gif

NCIS (Tom Harmon)
Blue Bloods
Timeless
Bull
Bones
Lucifer
Lethal Weapon

Timeless just ended for the season. So I'm replacing it with the winter episodes of Walking Dead.
Isn't it a crime to kill zombies?...... No?

When the next one finishes for the season, I'm replacing it with Bates Motel.
They still haven't caught Norman and Norma killing all those people. Now Norma is dead... poor Norman!

Chips,Starsky and Hutch,Adam 12,The Nightstalker,Mannix,Kojak,Baretta,The Fugitive (with David Janssen,probably my all time favorite).

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
It might not be the kind of crime show you mean, but I think Breaking Bad was one of the best in recent years.

You're right on both points. Not a "mystery" per se, no, but a story about humans involved in crime and how it affects them.

When I think back on how it evolved and ended, I get the same flavor I do when thinking back on a terrific novel.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Chips,Starsky and Hutch,Adam 12,The Nightstalker,Mannix,Kojak,Baretta,The Fugitive (with David Janssen,probably my all time favorite).

The Fugitive has been described as the perfect TV series. The lead character has a really important reason to keep traveling, and because of that the viewer is caught up too. My mother was a big fan of the series in its original run; she would get ready for work an hour early on Tuesday evenings so she could watch it. (She thought Janssen looked a lot like the young Clark Gable.) When I got to see a number of the episodes in the Eighties, I realized myself how good -- exciting, well-written -- they really were.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Killing fields on Discovery is a good show.

Yes, I like that one but last year's series ended without any resolution. I couldn't believe how bad the ending was. All the episodes devoted to one case and no arrest, charges, court case, prison sentence. Sheesh!

At least this year's season looks promising.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Bosch

Read the books too. You won't regret it.

Also wanted to add: True Detective

The first season with Woody and Matt is excellent.

Was not a fan of the second season.

Bosch was the first show to come into my head. I think Amazon did a good job converting Connelly's books.

Also like the original Hawaii 5-0

Sherlock, the BBC series with Cumberbatch is also very entertaining

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Bosch

Read the books too. You won't regret it.

I actually found the show after I had read all of the Bosch and Haller novels. I still think Haller's quote from The Brass Verdict is the most accurate description of a criminal trial that I have ever read:

Quote:
Everybody lies.

Cops lie. Lawyers lie. Witnesses lie. The victims lie.

A trial is a contest of lies. And everybody in the courtroom knows this. The judge knows this. Even the jury knows this. They come into the building knowing they will be lied to. They take their seats in the box and agree to be lied to.

The trick if you are sitting at the defense table is to be patient. To wait. Not for any lie. But for the one you can grab onto and forge like hot iron into a sharpened blade. You then use that blade to rip the case open and spill its guts out on the floor.

That’s my job, to forge the blade. To sharpen it. To use it without mercy or conscience. To be the truth in a place where everybody lies.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Bosch was the first show to come into my head. I think Amazon did a good job converting Connelly's books.

Also like the original Hawaii 5-0

Sherlock, the BBC series with Cumberbatch is also very entertaining

Michael Connelly is an executive producer, so no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back