Transfer case lubricants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 96 Bronco w/ BW transfer case. I'm planing to change the fluid but am having trouble getting Motorcraft XL12. Ford says not to use Mercon V or similar lubricants https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...mission%20Fluid I'm looking for alternatives that people have successfully used in these older transfer cases. I saw Valvoline has on that it recommends for Motorcraft XL12 applications. Anyone have any experience with it? Anything else you have used successfully?

Thanks!

I'm using super tech merc/dex3 in my 2006 expedition.

Been in the for 40k miles..... So far so good.
Will probably change it out again here soon

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
BW 1356? No real special requirements/considerations, other than it's equipped with a pump. The Valvoline Multi-Vehicle Transfer Case Fluid is perfectly acceptable.

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/au...sfer-case-fluid

If you want to get really crazy about it, you could consider something like BG Syncro Shift II/Red Line MTL.

Thanks for the info Ramble, I have never seen the Valvoline TC fluid. Nice.

To the OP, you should have the 1356 TC and the owners manual says Mercon, right? I would think you could use any ATF in there. If you wanted to go all out you could use the Redline High Temp ATF with a vis of 10.0 cSt @100C. It has almost no evaporation and as long as the TC doesent leak, wont have to mess with it again. But like Ramble says, that's getting crazy about it.

Yep, it's a 1356. I think I can find the Valvoline locally. Thanks for the info!
I just got this and it's got about 258k miles and surprisingly, no visible leaks. I'm just going through and changing out all the fluids because I don't have any service history on it.

Hi Bronco1. I like to change out all fluids on any previously owned car so I think your doing the right thing. I have a 97 F150 and the transfer case got the Supertech Dex/Merc fluid when I got it. Year later I changed it out again and put more Supertech Dex/Merc in it. I have had no problems with using it at all. I use the Supertech MerconV in my transmission.

I'm about to change the fluid in a truck with the same TC. Picked up some Redline D4 from summit which I believe is in the 7 cSt @ 100 iirc. For the past few changes I have used Valvoline Syncromesh which is in the 9 cSt range and had no issues even in the winter.

Plenty of good fluids out there besides the XL-12, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back