oil suggestion/experience with GMC Canyon 2.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 2017 GMC Canyon Crew Cab with the 2.5l I4. I have never had a GM DI motor before and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this engine and what oils they prefer. Also, does GM do a decent job with their DI motors? I understand this is after the fact since I already purchased it. I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: geekster
I just picked up a 2017 GMC Canyon Crew Cab with the 2.5l I4. I have never had a GM DI motor before and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this engine and what oils they prefer. Also, does GM do a decent job with their DI motors? I understand this is after the fact since I already purchased it. I'm just curious.

My 2015 malibu has the same motor as your canyon. Im the same way, i realized after i bought the car tht is was DI. Im a lil over 23k on the car and im pleased with the powertrain. I've used nothing but 0w20 full syn in mine since new. Changed out the FF about 4.2k. Ive used PPPP and mobil1 AFE and i bought 2 cases of napa syn 0w20 tht im using right now. Car has never consumed any oil in the time I've owned it.

I have the same as you and gabriel in my Impala. It's been rock solid since the day I got it. It came with dealer oil changes and I was chasing a tire issue when I first got the car, so I had the dealer change it. It's an omnivore, doesn't appear to be sensitive at all to brands or formulation. I'm on to QSUD that I bought on sale at Menards now. Before it was whatever the dealer used (the sticker said Mobil 1, but it could really be anything). I also did a run with Napa Synthetic in there too. No difference as far as I could tell. Never burned any noticeable quantity of oil either.

This is my first DI engine as well, and I have 26K on it as of today. I make sure to "blow it's nose" every once and a while getting on a freeway to try to keep the valves as clean as possible. I was glad to see GM go back to a regular old spin-on filter for these engines. The cartridge design started off OK, but as they added more and more stuff, it became a gymnastics stunt to get the thing out of there. Now that it is back on the front, getting too it is a cake walk other than the rocket hot catalyst nearby. I usually break it loose while everything is hot and wait for a few while the skin of the catalyst cools off.

Originally Posted By: geekster
That's good to know that they are running well. Are these the exact same Ecotec LCV engines? The Canyon 2.5 is asking for 5w20.

Yea same engine's, my cap says 5w20. But it says i can use 0w20 as an alternative in the manual so thts what i use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back