Mobil1: Turbo Diesel Truck vs. Delvac 1 ESP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Shell Rotella T6 that I believe FCA is using on the EcoDiesel's now, but I see two other oils that I could go with from Mobil 1 at WalMart: Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 & Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40. Big difference in the tech specs (from M1's website.) The Delvac 1 ESP has the new CK-4 formulation, which apparently supersedes CJ-4. Thoughts/comments?

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40
engine oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4
ACEA E9, E7
Caterpillar ECF-3
Cummins CES 20086, 20081
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 engine oil is approved by the following OEMs:
Detroit Fluids Specification 93K222, 93K218
Mack EO-O Premium Plus
MAN M 3575
MB-Approval 228.31
MTU Oil Category 2.1
Volvo VDS-4

Technical details

SAE Grade 5W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 81.1
cSt @ 100ºC 13.56
CCS, cP, ASTM D 5293 6,330 @ -30ºC
MRV, cP, ASTM D 4684 22,000 @ -35ºC
HTHS @ 150ºC, cP, ASTM D 4683 3.7
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 170
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 12.1
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -33
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 222
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.857

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry and builder specifications:
API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4/SM, SL, SJ
ACEA E7 Issue 2
Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-3
According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is of the following quality level:
CG-4
Technical details

SAE Grade 5W-40
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 40ºC 97.9
@ 100ºC 14.5
Viscosity Index 153
Phosporous (ASTM D4951) 0.11
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.8
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.95
Total Base #, mg KOH/g (ASTM D2896) 10.7
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 215
Density @ 15.6ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85

Actually, the Turbo Diesel Truck comes in 4qt jugs. Looks like the new Delvac 1 ESP is superior with the CK-4 rating. PepBoys has it for $30.99 a 5qt right now, with free shipping if you buy two. Apparently Rotella T6 will have new CK-4 rating as well, but I can't find any specs on what they did for CK-4 like M1 has provided.

Originally Posted By: AirBull
Actually, the Turbo Diesel Truck comes in 4qt jugs. Looks like the new Delvac 1 ESP is superior with the CK-4 rating. PepBoys has it for $30.99 a 5qt right now, with free shipping if you buy two. Apparently Rotella T6 will have new CK-4 rating as well, but I can't find any specs on what they did for CK-4 like M1 has provided.

Would you use Delvac 1 5W40 in a gas engine?

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck

I'm pretty sure the Delvac 1 ESP is intended for just for diesel.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-delvac/mobil-delvac-1-esp#5W-40

One thing that has me concerned is the low viscosity cSt @ 40°C for the Delvac 1 ESP 5w40, every other CK-4 5w40 is in the 90's.

Applications
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is recommended for use in all super high performance diesel applications, including modern low emission engine designs with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), Aftertreatment systems with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF’s) and Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC’s). These applications include the following:

On-highway engines operating in both high speed/high load and stop-and-go conditions
Off-highway engines operating in severe low speed/heavy load conditions
Virtually all diesel powered equipment from American and European equipment builders
High performance gasoline engines and mixed fleets--------------------------------------Seems not exactly so.
Refrigeration units

One thing that has me concerned is the low viscosity cSt @ 40°C for the Delvac 1 ESP 5w40, every other CK-4 5w40 is in the 90's.

I don't see anything wrong with that, it just pumps easier at colder tempertures. I prefer that in the cold for my Cummins winter starts.

Pretty sure Garak's G37 is not a diesel ... just wish D1 products sold for less ... Think what you see in Mobil products is you will pay for PAO ...

I'm pretty sure the Delvac 1 ESP is intended for just for diesel.

I use it for a gasoline engine, as was already pointed out, and I'm not the only one.

With regards to the CK-4 Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, it does seem to be "dumbed down" a bit compared to the CJ-4 version. Pour point is higher. Flash point is lower. This seems to corroborate, however, that the previous versions were more "ringers" in their category, more than saying anything bad about the current version. The current version will still perform identically for over 99% of people using it. It will be completely seamless, except perhaps for those pushing OCIs out to the limits. Then again, TBN has climbed a bit and we do have the CK-4 improvements, so maybe not. For cold weather, the numbers are fairly typical for the grade.

With respect to pricing, the situation up here is reversed, because big box retailers up here cannot be trusted to have sensible margins. I get Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 for about $25 a jug directly from Imperial Oil. M1 TDT 5w-40 goes for over $50 a jug.

That's why Delvac 1 costs $45/5qt and M1 $25/5qt.

Around this neck of the woods, Rural King has it for $21.99 for a gallon, they also have the 5 gallon bucket. Meijer has it for $22 a gallon. Advance Auto is selling it as well, but, it is more there, I think around $30 a gallon.

Last edited:
here now we have Delvac 1 ESP 5/40 at $7.99 A/R limit 8 I always use it in the ATV's Sleds OPE..Toyota and now the Civic although planing to switch the cars to 0/40 A3/B4 have both Mobil 1 & Castrol (made in germany) in stock.

Both are of good quality but looks like Delvac 1 is better. If the price difference is not an issue then why not go for it. It looks promising and read somewhere that it is recommended by most truck drivers.

I doubt it is recommended by "most" truck drivers, as very few truckers actually use a full syn motor oil. In the roughly 6 million commercial trucks in the U.S., it is a very, very low percentage that use a full syn, irregardless of brand. Most use conventional though more are using one of the syn blends now that 10w30 has become the factory fill and recommended viscosity for the newer heavy duty trucks for the last few years. I own and operate heavy duty commercial trucks and have for over 30 years and I think I might have come across 3 or 4 heavy duty truck owners that are using something like Delvac 1 or even Rotella T6. Many commercial truck lube shops do not even stock full syn HDEO's. Just doesn't sell enough to justify stocking it. And very few truck stop chains have D1 on the shelf, Though T6 can be found in most places with it's own little spot on the shelf. Even that doesn't sell that well as I see frequent sales for it at truck stops to try and get it moved. The primary target for this kind of oil is folks that own pickup trucks who are more susceptible to marketing.

Got it for $15 a jug at Wally world (gallons) in June on rollback! I was gone in two days.

Last edited:
As Tiredtrucker already said, a brother of mine does fleet work with a large trucking company and explains that they to do not use any synthetic in the crankcase. It works wonders in the transmissions, hubs and diffs. But with modern engine oil being great quality they use UAO and can really extend it out, enough that the economics of the synthetic do not compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back