2005 Malibu "power steering" came across display

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is also possibly an extended warranty if not a specific recall. I received an extended warranty letter on the power steering on my 2007.

Had the recall done on my 2004 last year. They will replace the sensor in the steering column. Very old, very common problem with repeat failures.There is a ton of info on GM electric steering problems.
Your lucky you just got the message so far,next the power will go out and you will have manual steering until you pull over, shut off and restart. Very scary.

When this happened to my 2003 Saturn ION and dad's 2007 Pontiac G6, the error was caused by a failed BCM. Mine failed under warranty, I think my dad had to pay $500 to have it diagnosed and repaired.

There are a few campaigns/special service warrantys for your car:

#16188: Special Coverage Adjustment - Brake Lamp Malfunction - (Mar 3, 2017)
#14327: Special Coverage Adjustment - Loss of Steering Due to Water Intrusion (Steering Gear Umbrella Seal Missing) - (Mar 5, 2015)
#10183A: Special Coverage Adjustment - Power Steering Assist - (May 23, 2012)
#08089C: Special Coverage Adjustment - Analog OnStar Deactivation - (Nov 18, 2008)
#07126: Special Coverage Adjustment - Loss of Power Steering Assist - (Dec 3, 2007)
#06190: Special Coverage Adjustment - Fuel Tank Cap - (Feb 21, 2007)

This one is safety and for the life of the car:

#12221A: Product Safety-Special Coverage - Loss of Power Steering Assist - (Aug 7, 2014)

If you need more specifics on one of these, I will post the full details.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back