How to remove oil filter & not get covered in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I remove my oil filter my hand and arms get covered in oil. Do others have this problem?

It is a problem I don't have, fortunately. More info is needed. How is the filter positioned, what car/engine?

Yes, others have this problem. Both of my Civics' filters are positioned in such a way (against the firewall-horizontal) that you have to reach way up to get them off. There is no way to get them off completely "clean"; without oil running down my arm and the block. If I let them set for an hour or so while the pan is draining, it helps some. But I usually just suck it up and spin them off as quickly as possible and keep a shop towel handy. The bag trick above my help some but I've never tried it.

Also why I run my filters for two OCIs, and Honda recommends it in the manual.

Originally Posted By: Danno
I bag it, slip a bag around the filter after loosening it and before the oil spills out.
Canada sells milk in 1 liter bags and 3 bags to a large bag. The 1 liter bag works perfectly.

https://tinyurl.com/zosya6x

Thanks for sharing the tip, I'll use a plastic bag from next time.
thumbsup2.gif

I always get oil on my fingers, but very rarely running down my arm. Crack the filter to where it starts to leak at the block, leave it until it's drained, then screw it the rest of the way off. Older Civics are a PIA, though.

Originally Posted By: Cuba
Every time I remove my oil filter my hand and arms get covered in oil. Do others have this problem?

Sounds like a very heavy problem you would want to Escape...

The Dakota has the filter at just the right angle that oil will run down it and my arm if I'm not quick enough to move my arm when the seal breaks loose. The Ranger is impossible to remove without oil running down the side of the engine and my arm since it's mounted horizontally and high on the engine. I just wear a sleeveless shirt when I change the oil and clean up with Goop.

And if I ever run into the engineers that designed the placement on either vehicle, I've got an oily t-shirt that I'm saving to smack them upside the head with.
09.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Nice catch. 9 Bitog points!

Op, you can also use a vacuum pump (meat powered, drill powered, vacuum powered, etc etc) to pull most of the oil (Mercedes/Marine style)
and use a gripper cup (after you used the suggested plastic bag)

P.S. anybody remembers the video from a couple years ago with an oil change from the Japanese market where their kit was a cardboard box with a heavy duty bag in it to catch the oil?

when I'm loosening an oil filter I wrap a rag around it to absorb the oil until it's all of the way off. A rag helps a lot if the filters too hot to comfortably touch as well.

I just wear a cheap rubber mechanic's glove, and maybe even turn up the cuff of the glove to act as a 'cup' if the oil runs up my hand. After getting the filter down and on the drain pan, I turn the glove inside-out while removing it. This usually keeps my hand clean. Then hose down the crossmember and other oil-catching items with brake cleaner.

It works pretty well, but I might need to try the bag thing too!

On previous cars I used a plastic 1-gallon milk jug. Cut the bottom off the plastic jug and hold upside down under the filter as you spin it off. The jug handle makes it easy to hold, the large opening makes it easy to get your other hand in there to turn the filter and the tapered neck of the jug gives a place for the leaking oil to collect (reducing splashing when the filter drops).

Not perfect, but I reduced splatters and my general mess to a few drops.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I see what you did there!

What vehicle? Somebody might have some specific tips.

On a Saturn, I discovered it was less messy if I jacked up the passenger side and removed the tire and inner fenderwell. Then I could reach straight in and remove the horizontal filter.

On open-end-up filters, I do what Alex V said--loosen it and let the oil drain, and then unscrew it with a rag (a bag would work too).

I miss being able to pop the hood and reach down between the fender and engine to remove the big ol' filter from my slant-six Duster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back