Rearview mirror button fell off w/ chunk of glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since I've done this. I was just adjusting the mirror on my 2004 WRX when it just fell off. It's a basic mirror with no special features. Went to Walmart and they had the Permatex repair adhesive kit.

It's a bit odd. It's on a 2004 WRX and the windshield is aftermarket Pilkington glass. The windshield has a "painted" area that matches the shape of the button for the button to adhere to. I don't recall if my previous button reattachment was to this windshield or the factory one. However, this one was odd since it broke away mostly clean, but did take out a small chunk of the window glass with it.

I fiddled around with the button and I'm not sure if I should remove the glass chunk or not. The instructions for the adhesive say to leave a drop on the button, but if I remove the chunk of glass it seems like the adhesive will just fill the hole and not spread. If I leave it in it seems like it will mate with the hole. I am scraping off the old adhesive from the button at least. It doesn't look like there's much adhesive left on the windshield.

Wife broke rear view mirror off the glass yesterday with her hand button was still glued to the glass,replaced it today for $40. with one from the chevy dealer .

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Wife broke rear view mirror off the glass yesterday with her hand button was still glued to the glass,replaced it today for $40. with one from the chevy dealer .

My mirror is just fine. It came off at the adhesive. Mine also has a separate button that serves as the mounting bracket. The mirror holds on via friction with a clip on the button. I think some call it a "camlock" fitting.

This is someone else's photo, but these look just like mine:

maxresdefault.jpg

cipa_camlock.jpg

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
If I leave it in it seems like it will mate with the hole. I am scraping off the old adhesive from the button at least. It doesn't look like there's much adhesive left on the windshield.

^^^ This.

I used Gorilla Glue a few times since I already had it. Seems to hold up fine for 2-3 years, but I don't adjust my mirror much.

I used the special glue that you get in a small tube. Since I had another car to drive I just glued on the little metal piece, then taped it in place, then let it cure for a week while I drove another car. That was several years ago and it's still working great.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I used the special glue that you get in a small tube. Since I had another car to drive I just glued on the little metal piece, then taped it in place, then let it cure for a week while I drove another car. That was several years ago and it's still working great.

This is what I got. It has an activator towlette and a small bit of the adhesive in a pouch. I think this is what I used before, but back then I wasn't dealing with glass stuck to the button.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Permatex-Professional-Strength-Rearview-Mirror-Adhesive/16879907

11f013c4-31a1-45f3-bff6-dce4bb4174f1_1.4a5a21c8be5fe1dbc6a489aa45daf2de.jpeg

Originally Posted By: E150GT
good luck. I have never been able to get a rear view mirror to stay glued for very long.

I imagine if I lived someplace hot and sunny and parked the car outside, that would also be the case with my cars.

I would leave the chunk of glass on the button. Like you said, if you take it off, some of the glue may just pool up in the open space and not adhere as well.

My Ranger doesn't have the painted area for the mirror, just a small line indicating where the mirror button goes. The Permatex kit has worked for me. It's not the same as adhering a piece of broken glass since windshields are laminated, but I still say leave the piece of glass on since the glue is supposed to spread out to a thin layer.

Last edited:
OK, I just did it today. It was about 50°F outside here in California, but it was warmer out in the sun. I left the glass chunk in and used extra adhesive. It seems to be holding.

The clip is a bit worn though. I might just get a new clip if I can find one. Maybe Dorman has one?

I placed it where is was before, which is off center. That's where the glass installer placed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back