Autolite spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are today's Autolite spark plugs? I last used them 20 years ago in my Jeep and they worked great but that was some time ago.

They are made in China and Mexico. Not as good as Denso and NGK (or Bosch's OE plugs).

If you have a transverse V6 or V8, use Denso or NGK iridium so you won't have to change them again for at least 100k
smile.gif

I am not a big fan of them. I like Denso, NGK, and Champion the most. The new Bosch have worked well so far for the ones I have used so I may add them to my list. Their last generation though still make me think badly of them but the new ones seem ok so far.
And the Japanese or Bosch made AC Delco have been ok as well.

I have a set of Platinums in my Jeep right now. I have had good luck with them. I even ran them in my Harley.

Back in the 90s when I was a teenager, I didn't particularly care for them. I thought they were poor quality. But now I look at them as one of my first options. I'm even running Autolite in my lawn mower. What got me to give them another try was when I bought my '90 F150 and everyone kept saying Autolite or Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They are made in China and Mexico. Not as good as Denso and NGK (or Bosch's OE plugs).

If you have a transverse V6 or V8, use Denso or NGK iridium so you won't have to change them again for at least 100k
smile.gif

My Fusion has NKG iririum plugs. My Focus has Autolite iridium plugs. Both sets have been in for 3 1/2 years and 60 K. Can't see any difference in performance.

I like Autolites - never any problem. I use the XP Iridiums and their double platinums. The factory Bosch made Delcos in my 2008 CTS only lasted 45k miles before misfiring. I replaced them with Autolites and now at 130k miles still running strong. Same issue with my parents CTS...Bosch made Delcos started to misfire at the 50k mile mark. Autolites went in and been good since.

When I changed the plugs in my Fusion right around 215,000 miles, I put Autolite Double Platinums in it.. unfortunately, I went the wrong route. Not necessarily because they are bad plugs, but because they're not fine-wire electrodes. They'be been in the car now just over 10,000 miles, and while they work, I don't think they're working as efficiently as a comparable set of fine-wire plugs.

The plugs I pulled out of the car were the original factory FoMoCo fine-wire Iridium plugs, and my MPG and power have both dropped somewhat since the swap. It MAY just be that the coils (also factory originals) didn't react well to being separated from the plugs after all that time, and are now just giving out after being disturbed.

I've already ordered some NGKs, and when my new coils get here, I'll most likely be swapping the plugs out along with them. I may swap the coils first to see if things improve, and if my mileage and power go back to what they were before. If they do, the Autolites stay in, but I'm thinking that I'll probably end up just putting the NGK plugs in, in the end.

[censored], I've even considered putting the original, 215,000 mile plugs back in to see what happens.

I've never had a problem with any spark plug.

I had a set of NGK coppers that only lasted 20K, though. I thought that was weird.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
When I changed the plugs in my Fusion right around 215,000 miles, I put Autolite Double Platinums in it.. unfortunately, I went the wrong route. Not necessarily because they are bad plugs, but because they're not fine-wire electrodes. They'be been in the car now just over 10,000 miles, and while they work, I don't think they're working as efficiently as a comparable set of fine-wire plugs.

The plugs I pulled out of the car were the original factory FoMoCo fine-wire Iridium plugs, and my MPG and power have both dropped somewhat since the swap. It MAY just be that the coils (also factory originals) didn't react well to being separated from the plugs after all that time, and are now just giving out after being disturbed.

I've already ordered some NGKs, and when my new coils get here, I'll most likely be swapping the plugs out along with them. I may swap the coils first to see if things improve, and if my mileage and power go back to what they were before. If they do, the Autolites stay in, but I'm thinking that I'll probably end up just putting the NGK plugs in, in the end.

[censored], I've even considered putting the original, 215,000 mile plugs back in to see what happens.

For a finewire Autolite plug you need the XP series.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I had a set of NGK coppers that only lasted 20K, though. I thought that was weird.

20k is about right for copper
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: DemoFly

20k is about right for copper
smile.gif

Actually most OEM copper replacement intervals are scheduled at 30k miles but, under harder driving conditions, 20k miles isn't impossible and I've seen as high as 50k miles on easy driven cars.

I ran Autolite plugs for years in my (mostly) Fords.
After 2 failures (probably china mfg...?) I don't use
them anymore. The failures were in the resistor part
of the plug; instead of having the normal 5-6K ohms,
they developed an open. This was with relatively low
mileage, probably less than 20K miles.

Put double platniums in the Vic Friday and they were fine wire plugs. They replaced motorcraft plugs that were wore out. They warranty the double platniums for 5 years 100,000 miles

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Just wonder, was there some aversion or circumstance of not wanting to replace with Motorcraft OEM plugs? When I have always dealt with Fords, using OEM Motorcraft replacements was dollars and sense ahead with that brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back