Rank these oil filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: EscapeVelocity
What's wrong with a Mahle filter?
21.gif

Where'd you pull this from?

Look at my signature btw..

I use OEM or Napa proselects. My oil changes are often short ie. 5-6k miles so the 3$ proselect does perfect. Well constructed oil filter and whatever the efficiency is..my last oil analysis was excellent with it. If I were to extend the intervals I would go Napa Gold or Fram Ultra. Seeing that the walmart branded filters seem to be proselects id consider them too.

Loaded question with many different answers. Use any in any order.

If I were going to go 10K or more on an OCI I'd run

1) Fram Ultra
2) Royal Purple
3) Mobil 1
4) Wix XP / Napa Platinum (same filter).

#1 and #2 are equally good but #1 wins on price.

Is it possible to get some meaningful performance data on all of these filters?

I'm under the belief that materials used to build filters varies batch to batch so building in premature oil changes to a machine's maintenance schedule is wise.

It's funny. People cut open filters, count the pleats, bend the ADBV etc.

No one conducts an experiment to see if the media is good or actually tests the ADBV.

FOR EXAMPLE: I have seen AC Delco filters have held back oil whenever I remove them because a flood of oil follows removal.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: Kira
... No one conducts an experiment to see if the media is good or actually tests the ADBV.
Functionally testing the former is not easy (other than observing whether it has torn) without highly specialized gear. A quickie functional test of the latter is easy.

Originally Posted By: Kira

I'm under the belief that materials used to build filters varies batch to batch so building in premature oil changes to a machine's maintenance schedule is wise.

If the manufacturer has any QA at all then the materials shouldn't be changing unless it was a design change on purpose. Yes, machines can go out of wack and cause some manufacturing defects, but they aren't causing materials to vary.

Of those listed the only ones I'd ever use are Wix/Napa Gold but prefer OEM Densos on my Toyota over anything else. Rather use filters designed for my engine than ones that are mass produced for a variety of applications that probably barely make the cut for Toyota's standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back