2011 GT500

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father is having eye sight issues and hasn't been able to drive for 3 years and it appears he will never be able to drive again unfortunately. That being said, he has a 2011 Shelby GT500 that I am keeping in my garage for him and driving here and there until we figure out what we are doing with it. I might have put about 500 miles on it last spring/summer/fall and did an oil change with Motorcraft 5w-50 and an 820s Motorcraft filter about a year ago from today. The car has about 8,500 total miles on it and my garage stays about 36 degrees and higher all winter so it never goes through any freeze thaw cycles as it sits. Should I change the oil and filter again this spring before I start driving it?

500 miles since the last oil change? Should be fine for a few thousand miles more....unless it was started a lot (not driven) this past winter. My car went into winter "semi-storage" with 800 miles on the oil since last May. It won't get changed again until May. And even then it could probably go another year or two.

I think I started it once or twice to move it in garage and that is it since I parked it for good around the beginning of November.

Don't change the oil if it only has 500 miles on it, wait until the oil has about 5000 miles or so to change it.
And the next time you change it use Mobil 1 0W-40 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Maybe even Mobil 1 15W-50, Motorcraft 5W-50 has shown to be quite prone to shearing down to a 40 or even a 30 grade...

The oil filter will degrade faster than the oil at that rate. Slap a microglass filter on there like a Fram Ultra and you're good to go for a few years

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The oil filter will degrade faster than the oil at that rate. Slap a microglass filter on there like a Fram Ultra and you're good to go for a few years

Oil filters degrade in oil? Who knew? I've got an AC-Delco filter on my Suburban that's been on there 5 1/2 years and I don't plan on changing it for another 4 years. I'll take some pics of it then if I'm still kickin - I'm sure the filter will be fine. I've got some old dried hot peppers in olive oil that I've had for more than 30 years - they still look the same as they did 30 years ago - I'm sure the oil has gone rancid long ago. Oil is a good preservative for many things IMO - especially non edible things.

OP - change the oil after 3 or 4000 miles if you're worried - the time factor - especially in a garage, is irrelevant IMO.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...M1_#Post4190879

Yep, cellulose filters will turn mush after so long. Why do you think Mobil 1 is stating for their new filters to be run for 20k miles or 1 year?, and that's a top of the line blended cellulose filter.

Realistically they can handle more than one year but microglass is best for long term usage.

I'd go another year, but make sure you take it out on the highway and drive it like you stole it for an hour or so every so often...

My fiancee has a 2007 Mustang GT with only 18,000 miles that she hardly ever drives. I last changed the oil in it almost two years ago and she has only put about 1,000 miles on it since then. The oil still looks clear as it can be with no visible moisture. It has Motorcraft 5W-20 blend and a Motorcraft FL820s filter on it. I don't plan on changing the oil any time soon since she never drives it.

I would say yours is fine for awhile.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back