Oil pan damage from dirt road tire ruts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the cute blonde at the mulch place probably thinks I'm crazy now, but oh well. It's been raining a ton thr last dsy or so and I needed to empty the brush out of my truck and I'm always afraid the tire ruts are going to deny my oil pan in. Also the plastic trim piece on the front bumper is the lowest part. What are the chances of actually denying it in? Or am I paranoid? For some reason my truck is lower than 1500 model trucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fabricate a bash plate from sheet steel - it's all the protection you'll need
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I'm always afraid the tire ruts are going to deny my oil pan in. What are the chances of actually denying it in?

What are you trying to deny?

If you were trying to say "dent" your oil pan, then you can just make up a shield for it if you're that concerned.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'm always afraid the tire ruts are going to deny my oil pan in. What are the chances of actually denying it in?

What are you trying to deny?

If you were trying to say "dent" your oil pan, then you can just make up a shield for it if you're that concerned.

I misspelled it. I was on my phone. Yeah I mean everyone else just says the [censored] with it and drives right through. I was the only one there at the time and wasn't totally sure where to come out at. I've gotten my truck stuck in a grassy field before. All that weight up front and no traction at the rear wheels.

I've been on paved roads and worried about cracking my oil pan. [Later I did find curb rash on the oil pan. Scary.] I wouldn't call you crazy.

If you hit a rock or something embedded in the mud, it'll dent or even worse rip a hole right in the bottom of the pan. I'm sure they make a skid plate for your truck.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
How close is the oil filter coming in this case ?
A couple feet up. I'm not worried about that. Most of those guys just run their 250,000 mile work truck through it, they don't care or probably even realize it's possible.

Originally Posted By: supton
I've been on paved roads and worried about cracking my oil pan. [Later I did find curb rash on the oil pan. Scary.] I wouldn't call you crazy.

Sometimes I see 50 drag marks on asphalt ramp-ups to rail road crossings. They're either from oil pan drain plugs, exhaust hangers, or other similar low-hanging fruit.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
You have more reason to be concerned than must.

If you screw up your oil pan, your cab is coming off, and your engine is coming out to replace it.

Not true.

I replaced my oil pan by loosening engine mounts, raising engine 2 inches, and sliding pan out. And mines a 4x4 with front axle in the way. Couple hours total.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about oil pan bashing in the soft dirt or mud. The oil pans on these things are very stout. Unless of course yours is rusty.
Your cross member should hit before the pan anyway?

Last edited:
So the cute blonde at the mulch place

I say holla at her and forget about the oil pan
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back